The Greatest Rube Goldberg Chain Reaction Rock Video Ever Made

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Holy. Shit.

I've long loved OK GO videos, but this one tops everything. I mean everything. Everything ever made.

Soren91

Jul 27, 2009
Wow, I wonder how long that took to build. Hopefully they keep this up, I enjoy their videos every time I see them.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
at first i was like:
i doubt this will be better than cog
then i was like:
this kicks cog's ASS
i demand this band and honda try to 1up each other.
it will please me

sprout

Feb 14, 2006
it was so amazing. I adore OKGO. I really liked the first video they put out for this song, but this one blows it away. I loved how the whole contraption just kept getting bigger! awesome.

today is the day for sweet music videos! Just stumbled on this one by Gorillaz. Not quite as creative but still rather neat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9vAOzYz-Qs

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
That's got to be the most amazing Rube Goldberg I've ever seen. Just... epic how everything was so accurate, perfectly set up... wow.

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
I think that this was never meant to be done in a single take. The setup looks rather delicate and chaotic, and it was timed perfectly with the music and with the band members always being in the right spot (and they frequently change locations while we're not looking). I guess that this was done in several pieces (each of which may have required multiple takes) and stitched together.

However, if I am wrong, then I award MASSIVE props to the band and the film-makers for an undertaking that can only be described as "historic" and "AWESOME".

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
*places jaw back into place* Wow that was just amazing awesomeness..i can only imagine just how many hours it took to get that set up...as well as making it all work in sync. That's dedication for ya right there

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
What's really amazing is the amount of component destruction in the chain reaction. Imagine how many pianos, TVs, and other smashed-up bits they had to go through in the calibration.

Doggabone

May 11, 2007
Silk_Sk said:
I'm a little unclear as to how some of those reactions happened. Unless something happened off camera that golf club at the beginning seemed to move on it's own. As did the globe after the TV smash and a few others. I won't call shenanigans but I would like an explanation for some of those.
Lots happened off camera, although all of the big moves were visible, some of the strings pulling springs (etc.) were either unseen or fast in the background.

The globe, after the TV set is sitting on to pipes, as rails. Before the TV set is smashed, the pipes are parallel. The smashed TV pulls a string, which drops something between the two pipes at one end. The splaying of the pipe lets the globe drop lower between the pipes, and it's rolling downwards, dropping a little height and picking up speed as the space between the pipes gets wider. There are a few power switches here and there, but an impressive amount of it is gravity fed, old school inertia. (And a band running around like crazy off-camera - the adrenaline must have been intense!) And I love, love, love how the device is actually plays a tiny piece of the song.

If you haven't clicked through, OK Go built it with Syyn Labs: http://syynlabs.com/

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
An awesome video and a good song - I like! Will strongly consider buying this one for my iPod.