The hardest FPS of all time, making a list

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Serious Sam game on serious difficulty. I played maybe 30 min of it and it just gets wayy to crazy! I think it was meant for coop or smthn.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
The original ghost recon and rainbow six games were incredibly difficult, oh how I miss them.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
Operation Flashpoint. Any of you complaining about recent games, with their regenerating health, hyperspace arsenal and CQB have clearly never known the pain of trying to snipe a prone enemy 400 metres away with your humble, non scoped M16. Really, it's insane, and don't even get me started on one level where you have to cover several kilometres, on your own, with red patrols, armoured squads and air support on the search for you.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Halo 2 and 3 on mythic difficulty were harder than Halo 1 on Legendary.
Agreed. Halo 2, 3, or ODST played on Mythic is the hardest FPS shooter experience I can think of.

Edit: For anyone who doesn't know what Mythic difficulty is, it is Halo's Legendary Difficulty played with all Skulls active.

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
Halo CE???? Halo fucking CE? FAR CRY 2???

Seriously. Operation Flashpoint. You either spend most of your time playing that game in bushes, or dead.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
CyberAkuma said:
Far Cry - Realistic Mode
Halo 1 - Legendary Difficulty
S.W.A.T 4
Doom 1&2 on Nightmare Difficulty
Pah, any game made after 2000 is automatically disqualified.
EXCEPT

Operation Flashpoint on full simulation.

Anyway.
Doom 1/2, Quake on Nightmare.
Alien Resurrection on hardest.
System Shock/2

There's plenty of recent games that are not so much difficult as broken. I don't count dieing repeatedly through a glitch or unfair design/memory testing as difficulty, it's bad design.

All of those games you can enter any fight and a chance of surviving, it might not be a big chance but it's there.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
The really short FPS part in Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy). The controls just suuuuuuuuuck, it's really hard to do that one good.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
CyberAkuma said:
Far Cry - Realistic Mode
Oh, I definitely agree with this one.
Took me a long time to finish it. Especially because there was no way to Quicksave/Quickload as far as I know. Always had to restart from the last checkpoint.
But I did finish it anyway.

Deus Ex on Realistic can be quite tough, too (headshots...), though still a lot easier than Far Cry. And you can Quicksave/Quickload.

democrat

Sep 3, 2009
Ever play Black? In the harder difficulties where you couldn't carry medipacks that game was near impossible.

Also, I don't remember a Mythic difficulty in any Halo I've played, am I missing something?

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
The_Graff said:
Did somebody say "System Shock 2", 'cos I thought I heard somebody say "System Shock 2"
As long as it's on the hardest difficulty and you play through entirely as a Psi user.

Monkeytacoz

Sep 22, 2009
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a nightmare, Vegas 2 is damn near impossible on Realism mode, and Doom 3 pissed me off

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
democrat said:
Ever play Black? In the harder difficulties where you couldn't carry medipacks that game was near impossible.

Also, I don't remember a Mythic difficulty in any Halo I've played, am I missing something?
freetogoodhome said:
Bigeyez said:
MelasZepheos said:
Agreed. Halo 2, 3, or ODST played on Mythic is the hardest FPS shooter experience I can think of.
When you say mythic do you mean SLASO or just the mythic skull activated?
Mythic difficulty was coined by Bungie as playing Legendary with all Skulls active...All skulls active essentially ramps up Legendary difficulty to an insanely hard level.

Edit: I believe that answers both your questions.

freetogoodhome

Mar 2, 2008
Bigeyez said:
MelasZepheos said:
When you say mythic do you mean SLASO or just the mythic skull activated?

EDIT: - Nevermind it appears you answered my question a second before I asked it. My vote is going to go with halo 3 mythic.

Mirokunite

Nov 22, 2007
The Operation Flash Point games, ArmA games can be real pains.

I remember in ArmA having to take out a helicopter base, I tried the stealth approach, and the brute force approach only to meet failure. I then did a combination of both. I sneaked into the base, and took out as many guards as I could as quietly as possible, then jacked a APC, and raised hell.

Also the tank/helicopter mission in that game was a real cock block.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
I dunno, played a lot of them. CoD4 on Vet was pretty much controller-breaking difficult.