The hardest FPS of all time, making a list

TurkeyProphet

Aug 18, 2009
Trying to think of games that haven't been mentioned...

I never got past the first level of Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes, but that was really a flaw in the design rather than the difficulty.

Although Resident Evil 5 wasn't a first person shooter you spend most of it looking down the barrel of a gun. On the hardest setting without carrying over weapons or infinite ammo or anything it was really difficult.

Condemned 2 on the hardest setting got a bit frustrating for me but that's probably because I didn't really nail the combat system.

Time Crisis was really quite difficult with the assigned number of lives.

vanguard_anon

Feb 11, 2009
COD4 on veteran is probably the hardest game I've beat so far. (No fighting in the war room took me forever)

Beating all the L4D maps on expert probably took me the longest. The first time I beat blood harvest took me over 7 hours and that's just one map.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
KillerMidget said:
Playing bloody Call of Duty: World at War on veteran. Thousands upon thousands of grenades laser-designated into my face.
it wasnt too bad you just had to keep moving.... through bullets... lol.

OT
i think the hardest game was....
really fat guy vs god
and you can only play as the really fat guy..
you cant win lol.
its like an ant trying to kill a t-rex...
a retarded disabled ant

(just note nothing against fat people or god should god exist)
(actually i do god u do nothing!!!)

hobo_welf

Aug 15, 2008
The_Graff said:
Did somebody say "System Shock 2", 'cos I thought I heard somebody say "System Shock 2"
This and only this. Seriously. If you can get that game to run on your computer and you try to play it on max difficulty, you may run screaming from your pc and never ever touch it again.

Everytime I think about the many I shudder... violently.

Other than that, Far Cry was fucking ridiculous on max difficulty. CoD 2 was very hard but not impossible. CoD 4 on the other hand very well might've been completely impossible.

I can agree that STALKER would be tough but for christ's sake if you can play through Far Cry and SS 2 then you've got nothing to worry about.

From anything.

Ever.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
joest01 said:
Serious Sam game on serious difficulty. I played maybe 30 min of it and it just gets wayy to crazy! I think it was meant for coop or smthn.
I agree with this one. This is the game that came to my mind. Talk about being surrounded by enemies with no place to find cover or time to create a strategy.

hobo_welf

Aug 15, 2008
Serious Sam is a good choice but seeing as that game was meant for co-op it's tough to say which difficulty to put it on.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Torque669 said:
KillerMidget said:
Playing bloody Call of Duty: World at War on veteran. Thousands upon thousands of grenades laser-designated into my face.

My hardest FPS have to be Uncharted 1 and 2 on Crushing and all the ones you've already said.
Yet those aren't FPS games.

I'll vote S.T.A.L.K.E.R. On the highest difficulty, the environment is as much of an enemy as the Devil himself.

Tzatziki3301

Aug 11, 2009
Serious Sam, never completed that game as it reached the point of laughable impossibility (oh, I have no ammo, there's some! What? Another wave of sub-bosses?!) Op. Flashpoint or the Original Ghost Recon also stick in my mind. Hon. mention to any FPS game that gives you a targetting reticule a mile wide that your bullets hardly ever go near the centre of.

Also, I personally think any mention of a game that is hard WHEN YOU PUT THE DIFFICULTY TO MAX should be removed purely for stating the freakin' obvious.

Perhaps some sort of standard for voting on this topic?

A big red rooster

Jul 9, 2009
Jurassic Park for SNES. At least, the FPS parts of the game are horrible.

You can't tell what you're looking at, the controls are laggy, and SURPRISE!
A velociraptor just evicerated you.

Andantil

May 10, 2009
Vegas 2 on realistic ... impossible? I thought it was easy. This is actually a bit of a shock to me.
Anyway, I'd like to add ArmA 2. It's not so much a game as a simulation, you can die in 1 shot from an enemy who you can't see, you could be driving along and get fired on by a tank. Shooting's difficult, aim's imprecise, running decreases accuracy by a ton(after you stop running, that is)

bigolbear

May 18, 2009
hmm.. leme think.

the deltaforce games were prety damn tuff. (no health bar, realistic damage effects including inoperable limbs)

same goes for rainbow 6 and the games that followed that line. - im talking about the original ones on the pc from years back.

Doom.. obviously.

Personaly i found wolfenstein(remake) a very chalenging game due to the good AI.

AVP on the pc was a nightmare, maybe not super difficult but definately super scary and face hugers were instakill. Avp 2 was graphicly beter but somehow seemed to lose its edge for the marine, the fear factor went somewhere - very odd.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
hobo_welf said:
Other than that, Far Cry was fucking ridiculous on max difficulty.
1 or 2? I found Far Cry 2 not all that hard on Infamous, challenging, but not hard.

OP:COD4 simply for the last section of 'One Shot, One kill' on veteran where you have to fend-off umpteenmillion guys with a sniper rifle, and 'No Fighting in the War Room' was a ***** on veteran also.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
bigolbear said:
Avp 2 was graphicly beter but somehow seemed to lose its edge for the marine, the fear factor went somewhere - very odd.
The Smart Gun may have had something to do with that...

... also that the sound and controls allowed you to see where the Aliens were coming from instead of the silent death you got in the first.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Torque669 said:
KillerMidget said:
Really? I did it on Veteran pretty easily, just kept moving and shooting for the most part.

My hardest FPS have to be Uncharted 1 and 2 on Crushing.
dude, Uncharted isnt even an FPS. its a 3PS, since your aiming over the shoulder...

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Killing Floor on Suicidal is my bane. every hit hurts like fuck, and the Patriarch is a NIGHTMARE!