The High Cost Of Being A Gamer: $30,000

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The High Cost Of Being A Gamer: $30,000

It's a good thing we all have so much money, because a new study by GameStrata [http://www.gamestrata.com/] has found that videogamers drop more than 30 grand on their hobby over their peak gaming years.

GameStrata, which provides statistical data for the videogame industry as well as online tools for leaderboards, player rankings and other information for gamers, said North American game enthusiasts will spend more than $30,500 dollars on videogames and gaming hardware during their "peak gaming years," which the survey pegged at 18-48.

The study also found strong and growing interest in online content, with the "vast majority of respondents" saying they prefer to do most of their gaming online with PlayStation Network [http://www.xbox.com/live/].

"With forecasters estimating this year's sales will reach nearly $23 billion, it's clear that gaming is the fastest-growing sector in the entertainment industry," said GameStrata COO Barry Dorf. "The best part is that the trend doesn't show any signs of slowing. In spite of predictions of a sluggish economy, gamers continue to invest their time and money into electronic entertainment."

Increasing acceptance of microtransactions is also a "notable trend," with 85 percent of respondents saying they've made at least one purchase of a virtual item in the last month. Participation in social networks was found to increase the likelihood of the purchase of online goods, as gamers who see their online friends updating their systems and software are more likely to do the same for themselves. The report also noted that with 40 percent of gamers reporting online play of 6-10 hours per week, a "simple, easy to navigate online infrastructure" is as important to the success of a console as the hardware itself.

"The survey results show that social networks need only adapt to the persistent and competitive elements of any genre to penetrate its user base," Dorf said. "The viability of future gaming-centric social networks is very strong."

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Gosh, if I could have all the cash I've spent on video games up to this point in my life back...the games I'd buy...

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
$30,500 over 30 years? A bit over a grand a year? Pfft. That's small potatoes compared with golf, hockey, or skiing. Come to think of it, isn't that about the same as buying a latté every morning for the same period?

I'll dispute the "high cost" part of the title, but I do agree that in the aggregate there's a lot of money in the games industry and that number is heading upward.

-- Steve

rbtroj

Mar 14, 2008
I'd believe it - I spend probably over $2k a year on games, then figure in new consoles every 4-7 years, a new pc every 3-4 years ... and I've been in it since the late-70s. Yeah, I can see $30k pretty easily ... oh, God, I've squandered my child's first semester of college!!!

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
rbtroj said:
I'd believe it - I spend probably over $2k a year on games, then figure in new consoles every 4-7 years, a new pc every 3-4 years ... and I've been in it since the late-70s. Yeah, I can see $30k pretty easily ... oh, God, I've squandered my child's first semester of college!!!
Piffle. Who says the kid's going to college? (Hey, maybe that'll be the next big "movement", WiiU! The only college education we plebians can afford!)

rbtroj

Mar 14, 2008
Thais said:
rbtroj said:
Piffle. Who says the kid's going to college? (Hey, maybe that'll be the next big "movement", WiiU! The only college education we plebians can afford!)
Good point - with video-game junkie as a father, how could she ever hope to pass the eighth grade. Well, you know what they say about lost causes: "time to buy more games!"

Churchman

Jun 21, 2008
Well, since the first time I picked up an NES controler about 13 years ago, I have yet to crack 1,000 spent on video games.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
I do wonder about adjusting for inflation there.

Anyway. That aside, I'm assuming most gamers are spending their entertainment money there, the bucks they'd have spent on some other form of entertainment anyway. One might as well say, "If you could only have all the money you spent on restaurants going out with your friends back!"

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
$30k over 30 years? That's about 2 euro's a day average. My lunch is more expensive then my gaming then. This article serves as nothing but innacurate statistics for the "games are bad" morons to claim that we are ruining the economy.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Yeh, the results are a bit skewed. I mean, I've gotta have spent more than that... **counts** for me, it seems way off... I need to buy more games.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Asehujiko said:
$30k over 30 years? That's about 2 euro's a day average. My lunch is more expensive then my gaming then. This article serves as nothing but innacurate statistics for the "games are bad" morons to claim that we are ruining the economy.
Well I should hope so, surely eating is more important than gaming?

Anyway, there was me quickly adding up how much gaming costs me, I'm think "There's no way I spend over a grand a year." Then it occurs to me that the figure is in dollars, so I only have to beat £500 to win this game, guess what? With conversion on my side, I pass with flying colours. Don't really know wether or not that's a good thing.....

monostable

Apr 17, 2008
Echolocating said:
Churchman said:
Well, since the first time I picked up an NES controler about 13 years ago, I have yet to crack 1,000 spent on video games.
Piracy? ;-)
Pre-owned games? Not buying new games every week? Not subscribing to online gaming services (those stupid waste of time and money MMORPGs, XBOX live)?

I have been playing games for 7 years and I don't think i have spent much over £500, and that's including my xbox 360. (My first two consoles I didn't buy, but they weren't that expensive at the time - PS1, Xbox)

Anyway, that's nothing. Your average child is meant to cost a parent about £800 000. (not to buy, obviously). If you buy a new car it could be anything between £5000 to, well, the sky's the limit really, depends on the car.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
Well I should hope so, surely eating is more important than gaming?
It is. What i was trying to demonstrate is that gaming is actualy less expensive then some of the things people take for granted.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Honestly? 30k is way to conservative a number. Considering the amount of games I've purchased (being less than half-way through the subject age bracket), I'd have figured the grand total would be in the 50k+ range.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Holy crap! That seems like a lot of money. Does the figure vary between PC and Console gamers?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think the figure is an across-the-board estimate, rather than a breakdown of particular sub-demographics. And when you consider that it's 30 grand over 30 years, it's not really that much. Like Ashewhatsisface said, I know people who spend more than that on coffee.