The Hobbit Cast Performs Leonard Nimoy's Ballad of Bilbo Baggins

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Hobbit Cast Performs Leonard Nimoy's Ballad of Bilbo Baggins

The cast of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug recently did a reading of the lyrics to Leonard Nimoy's Tolkien tribute.

While he's undeniably best known for his role as Commander Spock, Leonard Nimoy has nonetheless had a long and relatively diverse career. One need look no further than <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU>The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins for evidence of that. Released in 1968 on his Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy music album, it's an odd but enjoyable little song chronicling the adventures of Middle-Earth's premier Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins.

Paying tribute to Mr. Nimoy's song, the cast of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was recently convinced to do a reading of the lyrics. The cast members' various performances were then cut together into an amusing video that should a least earn a smile from anyone who enjoyed the movie. If nothing else, it's a joy to watch Benedict Cumberbatch using his Smaug voice to narrate his portion of the tune.

Granted, Nimoy's original version is still arguably much more charming in its own, ridiculous way, but we're hardly going to hold it against the cast of The Desolation of Smaug for not being able to best Mr. Spock. After all, his version is just logically superior (nyuck nyuck).

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/12/12/the-stars-of-the-hobbit-read-the-ballad-of-bilbo-baggins>IGN

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Okay, that made me smile. And thank you, Benedict, for making this fun little thing even better.

*applause*

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I'll never get use to seeing Richard Armitage without the long hair and beard as Thorin XD

That Leonard Nimoy vid is too funny to watch.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
I was soooo disappointed. The OP has a different definition of "perform" than I do. I expected the song and maybe dance. Oh well, it was interesting anyway.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That was cute. I wish they had sung it though. I have that song on my I-pod and I sing it whenever it comes on. I love that song.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
Okay, that made me smile. And thank you, Benedict, for making this fun little thing even better.

*applause*
Agreed.. I also enjoyed how she said his name, kind of unique. Brought a smile to my face and I am sure we can all use more of those.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Man, Bendytoots has the best voice ever. I hope he does more voice acting in the future, he is fantastic.

ZtH

Oct 12, 2010
Mostly good, but the one guy, I think it was Thorin really sounded like he was phoning it in, which was disappointing.

Apr 17, 2009
ZamielTheHunter said:
Mostly good, but the one guy, I think it was Thorin really sounded like he was phoning it in, which was disappointing.
Yeah, Richard Armitage just seemed like he didn't know what was going on. At least the others were having fun. Especially Benedict Cumberbatch who seized the opportunity to go into Large Ham mode in truly magnificent fashion