The Hobbit Retold in 72 Seconds With Stop Motion LEGO - Update

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Hobbit Retold in 72 Seconds With Stop Motion LEGO - Update

The epic, totally necessary Hobbit film trilogy has been recreated as a 72 second LEGO stop motion video.

Update: We reached out to Brotherhood Workshop to see if we could glean some more details about the process of making this video. They shared the following as well as some stills from an upcoming behind the scenes video.

"Most of the shots were pretty straightforward, taking about an hour to setup and another hour or two to shoot. Some were a bit more difficult, like the shot where the Eagles save the dwarves from the burning trees. This shot involved rotoscoping in order to composite the fire, as well as featuring almost 30 characters. The Battle of Five Armies shot was hands down the most difficult, but I knew for the climax of this video, I needed to really impress."

[gallery=3396]

Original Story: There are some who might consider Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy to be a bit on the excessive side. After all, the original book is a mere fraction of the size of The Lord of the Rings, a series that pretty much demanded multiple movies if it was going be adapted with any sort of faithfulness. With The Hobbit, though, you probably could have covered the whole book in a single tightly scripted movie.

Perhaps driving that home is a recently released video from Brotherhood Workshop. The fine folks behind <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136780-Fan-Made-LEGO-Lord-of-the-Rings-Uses-Stop-Motion-Animation-to-Poke-Holes-in-Infamous-Plot-Hole>the "Eagles Can't Solve Everything" video released back in August, the crew's latest <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/lego>LEGO video hones in on The Hobbit and just how easy it is to tell its tale in a short period of time. Lasting only 72 seconds in length (a.k.a. "33,000ish seconds less than Peter Jackson's version"), the video runs through the events of the book/film using stop-motion LEGO bricks and no small amount of humor. Thorin's arrival at Lake-town, for instance, personally had me snorting (quite obnoxiously) with laughter.

What I find most impressive about this video though (besides the awesome stop-motion animation), is just how good a job it actually does telling the story of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20hobbit>The Hobbit. Granted, it's really stripped down and I'd definitely agree that someone who's read the book or seen the movies is going to get a lot more out of it than someone who hasn't. Even so, I think that someone walking into the series fresh would still be able to get the gist of things. What do you think? Does this do justice to Jackson's Hobbit?

Source: <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqsAzTS6KDg>Brotherhood Workshop

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Brilliant!

The only Hobbit movie I'll ever need (as an old fan of the book I was always peeved at the need to make it into a 9 fricking hour trilogy!)

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
It does justice to the book. Something Jackson's film somehow managed not to do at any point.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Still a better tribute than the films.
God I really need to read that book again, had a lot of fun with it back in the day.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Now we just need a Lego Silmarillion short and we're set.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Splitting The Hobbit up into two movies I could have seen possibly justified and possibly pulled off right.

Three movies, however, that's when it really comes off as fishing for extra $$$.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Great video. But you might want to make it clearer that this video kinda spoils the next movie for all the poor unfortunate people who never read it as a kid.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Lono Shrugged said:
Great video. But you might want to make it clearer that this video kinda spoils the next movie for all the poor unfortunate people who never read it as a kid.
Also Darth Vader is Luke's father, Dumbledore dies, and Rosebud is his sled. Spoiler culture is the silliest thing in existence. There's a reason why every sitcom has an episode dedicated to its ridiculousness. It's unreasonable to tip-toe around a book that's been extremely popular for 77 years.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
rasputin0009 said:
Lono Shrugged said:
Also Darth Vader is Luke's father, Dumbledore dies, and Rosebud is his sled. Spoiler culture is the silliest thing in existence. There's a reason why every sitcom has an episode dedicated to its ridiculousness. It's unreasonable to tip-toe around a book that's been extremely popular for 77 years.
Still no reason not to mention it. It's not so much a twist or spoiler as key plot points.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
That was incredibly hilarious.

It's almost weird how so much comedy can come from just shortening and simplifying pretty much any story!

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
rasputin0009 said:
Lono Shrugged said:
Whilst I would normally really agree with you, I'd expect a lot of people who saw this would go in thinking it is recapping the two released movies, rather than the book. Yeah yeah, complain all you like about how the book is more important and that they thought wrong, but it's kind of like taking a 100 year old book that a few people read, then making a movie about it to show to another few people and then have the book readers spoil it for the movie watchers. It's a bit weird, but once you bring a fairly old story back to a large number of people in a method that leaves the opportunity for spoilers (e.g. multiple movies/episodes) spoilers become a problem again.

Were you to spoil everything about the 2 hobbit movies, that would be something I (and hopefully most people) wouldn't give a damn about, but the unreleased one is still all secrets and mystery for those who have only watched the movies.

The more you know.