The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Official Synopsis Burrows Out

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Official Synopsis Burrows Out

Warner Bros. has finally released the official synopsis for Peter Jackson's concluding tale to The Hobbit trilogy, Battle of the the Five Armies.

Just this April, director Peter Jackson announced that he's changing the title of the final The Hobbit film from There and Back Again, to the more aggressive, The Battle of the Five Armies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133979-Final-Hobbit-Film-Renamed-The-Battle-of-Five-Armies] since it's more "appropriate." Well, now, you can judge that for yourself as Warner Bros. has released the film's official synopsis in full. You can check out the complete presser below, which was translated from its original German release.

From Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson comes "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies," the third in a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien.

"The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" brings to an epic conclusion the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, Thorin Oakenshield and the Company of Dwarves. Having reclaimed their homeland from the Dragon Smaug, the Company has unwittingly unleashed a deadly force into the world. Enraged, Smaug rains his fiery wrath down upon the defenseless men, women and children of Lake-town.

Obsessed above all else with his reclaimed treasure, Thorin sacrifices friendship and honor to hoard it as Bilbo's frantic attempts to make him see reason drive the Hobbit towards a desperate and dangerous choice. But there are even greater dangers ahead. Unseen by any but the Wizard Gandalf, the great enemy Sauron has sent forth legions of Orcs in a stealth attack upon the Lonely Mountain.

As darkness converges on their escalating conflict, the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must decide - unite or be destroyed. Bilbo finds himself fighting for his life and the lives of his friends in the epic Battle of the Five Armies, as the future of Middle-earth hangs in the balance.

It seems Jackson did the right thing renaming the final chapter. But even so, I'd be very surprised if he somehow didn't work in the phrase "There and Back Again" in the film in some form or another.

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies is set to hit theaters in the US on December 17 later this year.

Source: io9 [http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/06/22/90301-hobbit-3-fact-sheet-what-do-we-actually-know-about-the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies/]

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I can't wait, I loved the first two... now excuse me while I prep my flame armour.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
There is something that is just so whimsically atmospheric about Peter Jackson's take on middle earth. It endears all of the films to me.

Cannot wait!

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Nah, I preferred the original name for the third. It seemed much more fitting for being a end of The Hobbit Trilogy, as opposed to an important event in one movie

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Sounds like it's just going to be one long battle scene, i think i'll pass considering how bad the action was in the previous Hobbit films. Though admitedly, the second one wasn't as bad as the first one, if the first one was Phantom Menace the second one seemed more on par with Revenge of the Sith, which could mean that this one wll be as awful as Attack of the Clones :p, i hope i'm wrong, but i'll wait for the dvd to find out.

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
I hate Thorin's character, his face, and his voice. It will be satisfying to see him kick the bucket in the 3rd movie.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I am looking forwards to this movie, since it will finally deliver the ending that the last one missed.

Sadly though, this new movie will thus lack a beginning. But hey, we already got that one last year!

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
"There and Back Again" will be the retail name for the full 3 movie extended edition boxed set.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
God-dammit brain, you were supposed to skip right over any mention of this thing so I could motor on in ignorant bliss.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
What the... this synopsis actually resembles the plot of the books! Really well, in fact. I mean, I'm sure Tauriel's gonna show up again and ruin everything, but for the time being I can at least delude myself into thinking that he's actually trying to write an adaptation instead of a fanfiction this time around.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Edit: I totally missed the Sauron bit. That's pretty off. In fact, the books make it distinctly clear that the Misty Mountains orcs are not under Sauron's command. He had some in Dol Guldur, but those ones were never involved in the battle of five armies. I guess now it's the battle of six armies, so good job there Peter Jackson.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Sauron sending Orcs? Why?! To desperately try to connect the Battle of the Five Armies to the newly invented subplot that Gandalf and Radagast got?
I actually recently read the Hobbit again (yes, triggered by watching the movies) and it's made very clear that these are Goblin tribes out for revenge (for what happened in the Misty Mountains) and plunder and of course their grievances with the other peoples there. It has nothing to do with Sauron.
Sigh. I wish Jackson would stop adding new stuff in. That said, I especially dislike it when he cuts content from the original, not simply for time as you would expect, but actually to make room for the new stuff. It's not merely added on but replaces other things. And that's just wrong.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
These movies have not been as good as the Lord of the Rings movies, and it kills me to say that. However, I'm still looking forward to seeing the conclusion. I've enjoyed the movies, just not as much as I was hoping I would.

Please, please, please take the lines from the original animated movie when they all join forces:

(Thorin) "Oh Great Elf King, my truest friend and ally. We must join our forces against this common scourge."
(Elf King) "But of course, oh noble King Under the Mountain. Your people are like brothers unto mine."
(Bard) "And my men and all their weapons are as one with yours. Together we will vanquish the foul foe."
(All three) "Together!"

I'm sorry, but I have always felt that those lines capture perfectly the absurd situation and how silly Thorin is being. Now, I know in the book that Thorin is still in the mountain at this point, but Jackson has already changed so much...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I had rather hoped that the third film would take advantage of the fact that several of Bilbo's adventures went undocumented on his return trip to Hobbiton. But I guess we need another battle scene. Movies based entirely around one battle tend to wear out very fast, it's why Deathly Hallows part 2 is really weak compared to other films in the Harry Potter series.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
How much of the 3 hour run time does he expect to devote to the battle?

I'll just be glad "shoehorned invincible dwarf action sequences" will be over with. I just can't enjoy the second Hobbit movie, it never takes a rest from perfectly choreographed fight scenes that go beyond suspended disbelief and into superman territory... except when it forces in the love story with the prettiest dwarf in the land.