The Hobbit's Erebor Rebuilt as 55,000 Piece LEGO Sculpture

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Hobbit's Erebor Rebuilt as 55,000 Piece LEGO Sculpture

LEGO Builder Michal Kazmierczak has constructed a massive diorama rebuilding the entrance to Erebor with 55,000 plastic bricks.

I'm going to go ahead and say that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6620-The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey>The Hobbit films weren't really all that good. They weren't especially bad either, mind you. It's just that when you compare them to the powerhouse product that was Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings movies, they're just kind of "meh." They still had a lot of neat things in them though, with one of the biggest ones being the dwarven city of Erebor. Excessively CGI'd as it (and the trilogy overall) was, it was still nice to get a deeper look at a dwarven city. It didn't hurt, of course, that its design was also just really cool. So cool, in fact, that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/lego>LEGO builder Michal Kazmierczak took it upon himself to build his own miniature version of it.

Not that most would probably consider his diorama to be small. While obviously scaled down from the measurements of the film version, Kazmierczak's build is still stands a whopping 5 feet and 3 inches tall and contains more than 55,000 pieces. The build itself primarily encompasses the outer portions of the city, including two giant dwarf statues as well as a detailed landscape complete with invading orcs and a pair of elves that should be familiar to anyone who watched the movies. Not content with the model just being mildly impressive, he also used its rear portion to construct a limited interior complete with pillars, staircases and Thorin's company of dwarves. Overall, his Erebor took him about seven months to complete.

This, of course, isn't the first time that Kazmierczak's work has made its way onto The Escapist. Back in October 2014, we had the pleasure of showcasing another one of his works, an epic recreation of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137893-LEGO-Build-Recreates-Lava-Laced-Star-Wars-Locale>the planet Mustafar from Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. That build, also five feet tall, used more than 60,000 LEGO pieces and took him four months to finish. Suffice it to say we'll be eager to see what he comes up with next.
[gallery=4011]

Source: Flickr

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
"Excessively CGI'd as it was"

Are you suggesting that they should have made an actual set for Erebor? It took them long enough to release those films as it was.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It me wonder if he is going to make the interior (including the treasure room) to go with it. In saying so you didn't get a full look of it inside.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Oh How I wish I had 55,000 gray brick to play with. Even trying to buy them used costs a fortune. You think he would mind accidentally dropping something on that so he could send me his bricks to build with? XD

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
CardinalPiggles said:
"Excessively CGI'd as it was"

Are you suggesting that they should have made an actual set for Erebor? It took them long enough to release those films as it was.
Well... yeah. I mean, obviously, they couldn't build a gigantic Dwarven fortress but they could have at least done what they did in The Two Towers and used miniatures for the fortress and built more extensive physical sets for the actors to work with.

And honestly, I could have happily waited another five years for those films to be finished if it had meant they were better. Granted, that might have been pushing it when you consider Ian McKellan's advanced age, but I'd much rather have a good movie than a timely one.