The Humble Indie Bundle is Back

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Humble Indie Bundle is Back

The Humble Indie Bundle is back, with five new games and another sweet "pay what you want" sale that lets you divvie up your cash between the developers and two very worthy charities.

You're probably familiar with the Humble Indie Bundle concept but here's the lowdown in case you've somehow managed to miss it. You take five hot indie videogames, put them all together in one big, DRM-free bundle and then let people decide how much they want to pay for it and where the money goes - to the developers, Child's Play or the Electronic Frontier Foundation - in whatever proportions they like. It's an awesome idea that's so far raised over $1 million for charity, and now a new bundle is in the pipe and ready to rock.

The Humble Indie Bundle 3 features Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, VVVVVV, And Yet It Moves and Hammerfight, five hot indie releases that would normally go for about 50 bucks as separate purchases. And in case that wasn't awesome enough, all games in the bundle are cross-platform, with native support for Linux and OSX as well as Windows, and can be installed through Steam and Desura.

Some of the games have been updated for the bundle as well. Hammerfight includes a new "survivor mode," VVVVVV has a new map editor and bonus level designed by Notch and And Yet It Moves features new achievements and bonus content.

But some things haven't changed, specifically that Windows users are a bunch of tightwads. At last check, Team Windows had made in the neighborhood of two-thirds of total Humble Bundle 3 payments but is running a distant third in per-unit payouts. Linux users have so far paid an average of $10.45 per bundle, Mac users are running in second at $5.41 and Windows users are bringing up the rear with a paltry $3.48. For five games, guys? Come on.

Sharp-eyed readers may notice that this is actually the fourth Humble Bundle to be released, but this is the third Humble Indie Bundle because the actual third bundle was the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle. Or something like that. Who cares, it's a great deal! Go throw money at it! [http://www.humblebundle.com/] [Especially you Windows types. Jeez.]

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Wouldn't even pay one dollar per game? Cheap bastards. Also when I can put money on the card I will be purchasing!

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Rather funny that Cogs is in the pack, i was curious about it anyway.

Well, looks like this is definitely worth it. Plus, I like to support Child's Play.

EDIT: cool to see that Notch gave $2000, and I am disappointed that the average Windows donation is 3 bucks.

merck88

Mar 15, 2011
Cool! I tried crayon physics a while back and had a blast. I already have vvvvvv and cogs, but hey its for a good cause. Now I just need to decide which os to purchase it under.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Damn it, I recently bought VVVVVV... oh well, doesn't matter, I'm buying it for the other games anyways. While I'm at it, I'll buy a gift for a friend too.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
My own assumption is that Mac and Linux users haven't actually paid more than windows users, it's simply that those are the ones who have gotten the big donations. I could be wrong, but that seems most likely to me.

Also I may have missed it, but was there an option to pay directly with a bank card? Otherwise I'll have to transfer money to my paypal I guess (blargh).

Captcha: You'll rsoncess

What are you implying, Escapist!?

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
It is always good to see these packs come up. A good deal for gamers and money for good charities. As much as I hate the term, a win-win.

Although, I think Humble Bundle 2 may have been stronger game wise. This bundle looks to be doing quite well and will hopefully end up making a good amount of money for the charities and developers, over $125,000 in sales as of this post.

Oh, and be sure to put in at least a buck. Otherwise, it ends up costing them money after processing the transaction.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Made a thread about this and nobody commented *grumble grumble*
Anyway, some good games on here. VVVVVV and Hammerfight seem to be the ones I like most. Donated $15 myself.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
The one in the middle on the still of the video kinda looks like Iggle Piggle from In The Night Garden.

OT: I will probably purchase this, it's a good deal and it's great for the charity.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Ah, why not. I didn't get the last one but I picked up the first two... been meaning to pick up VVVVVV for a while anyway.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Eh, this time I have every game in the bundle... not sure if that means I buy too many games or that I just happened to buy the ones in question. Still, I feel like windows is getting a bit slammed when one thing hasn't been taking into account: number of purchases. Windows has gotten over 50% of the total, and is only $2 less then Mac in terms of average. Not to mention that I'm willing to bet that windows had a lot more people buying for $1 (or less if possible) then the other platforms. That isn't an excuse, mind you, but those are the people who would have likely either pirated it or have no interest in the games anyways, so I still see it as a win.

Now to look forward to the next bundle, which I might actually buy if it has games I don't already have in it.

Side note, I did find out that it is possible to put in less then $1, and it's likely it's possible to buy for less as well. Can't imagine anyone being that low though... well, I can, but it's still pretty sad. The image and the fact they accuse the person of having no heart and being a bot is funny though.

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
I too hear Sir Walken in the intro! More Doraleous!!

Back on topic. I love HIB's I now know what I'm doing tonight!

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Can't believe the article doesn't mention that the Doraleus guys are voicing it. I want that show back SO BAAAAADDDDD!!!!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
RejjeN said:
My own assumption is that Mac and Linux users haven't actually paid more than windows users, it's simply that those are the ones who have gotten the big donations. I could be wrong, but that seems most likely to me.
It's that less people use those two, nothing more. It only means that there are more cheap bastards using Windows to bring the average donation down for that OS, not that all Windows users are cheap bastards. I honestly don't even know why they display those stats, it's stupid and like most stats, people are reading and interpreting them incorrectly.