The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 Have New Release Dates

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 Have New Release Dates

The two upcoming Pixar films have swapped release dates.

Whatever your feelings are concerning Toy Story [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the+incredibles+2] franchise will move back to 2019, showing up in theaters on June 21.

To me, at least, that makes some sense. Disney [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the+incredibles] may as well take their time to make sure it's done really, really well.

The next Pixar movie will arrive on June 16, 2017, in the form of Moana [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_3_(2017_film)], which hits theaters just next month, on the 23rd.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2016/film/news/incredibles-2-toy-story-4-pixar-1201901499/]

[gallery=6590]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, we didn't need a toy story 3 an now we have a 4... Wonder if this will be a rehash also.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Way to destroy the Finality of Toy Story 3 unless it won't have Woody and Buzz.

And eh Increadibles 2 has the risk of being a straight up Avengers clone and I just know everyone is gonna eat it up.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dont care about 2018 or 2019. We need to know if we will get to 2017 first...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I don't care, wake me up when Zootopia 2 comes out. Not announced, comes out. Until then we're all just colorless zombies in an endless Silent Hill fog...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The notion of Cars 3 is just weird to me...considering there have been 2 Planes movies and...wait, wasn't there a Boat's movie or a Mater movie outside of the main Cars series? It just feels like there have already been a dozen Cars movies so hearing about Cars 3 feels both redundant and unwanted.

Incredibles 2 sounds fine to me but like someone else said, it might feel like an Avengers rip-off...though to add on to that train of thought, the original Incredibles was the best Fantastic Four movie we've ever had and I am all for another one of those.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
And eh Increadibles 2 has the risk of being a straight up Avengers clone and I just know everyone is gonna eat it up.
and unless I am wrong it'll be hitting around the same time as the first Infinity War movie.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Why is Toy Story 4 being made? I mean, The Incredibles sequel is something people have been waiting for years and I like the Cars franchise as sort of a guilty pleasure, and a sequel shows they are trying their hardest for the mainstream to like it. But Toy Story is kinda like Harry Potter, you grow up with it and sees it let go, but keeping it around doesn't feel right, especially since Andy is kind of a metaphor for us, he has the memories, but can't hold into the past forever. But hey, that's just me, it's not like I'm saying it's gonna be bad or rooting for it.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Igor-Rowan said:
Why is Toy Story 4 being made?
Because John Lassater and his crew thought of an idea so great that it was necessary for him to make Toy Story 4, and those are his words [https://variety.com/2014/film/news/john-lasseter-to-direct-toy-story-4-out-in-2017-1201349848/], not mine.

Worgen said:
Ugh, we didn't need a toy story 3 an now we have a 4... Wonder if this will be a rehash also.
Toy Story 4, according the John Lassater, is a Love story where the crew tries to Reunite Woody with Bo Peep.

OT: I have faith in Pixar to make Toy Story 4 good, and I'm certain The Incredibles 2 will be good too.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Mr.Mattress said:
Igor-Rowan said:
Why is Toy Story 4 being made?
Because John Lassater and his crew thought of an idea so great that it was necessary for him to make Toy Story 4, and those are his words [https://variety.com/2014/film/news/john-lasseter-to-direct-toy-story-4-out-in-2017-1201349848/], not mine.

OT: I have faith in Pixar to make Toy Story 4 good, and I'm certain The Incredibles 2 will be good too.
That was a rethorical question... I am still in denial ever since they announced and confirmed it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'll try to have faith, I guess. I'm up for Incredibles 2, especially if Bird is back on board.

But given the send-off nature of Toy Story 3, 4 is going to have an uphill battle convincing its audience it isn't a gratuitous cash-grab. Maybe Lassater really does have an amazing story that had to be told within the series, but nothing is leaping to mind.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
You know, I was sad when Studio Ghibli closed its doors. But there are worse things.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Fox12 said:
You know, I was sad when Studio Ghibli closed its doors. But there are worse things.

Look at it this way, gives you more time to watch all those other films you've passed on over years to watch the latest Disney/Pixar/Marvel flick.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Transdude1996 said:
Fox12 said:

Look at it this way, gives you more time to watch all those other films you've passed on over years to watch the latest Disney/Pixar/Marvel flick.
The thing is, I love Pixar. It was Disney's gold standard after they shut down their 2d animation department. It's just unfortunate to see it get turned into yet another movie mill.

Oh well, they still have Pete Doctor. And I do love Brad Bird.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, everyone and their mother has commented here, so I'll just give general thoughts:

-Pixar: By the time Toy Story 4 is released, Pixar will have released 21 animated films in cinemas. Of those films, 8 will be prequels or sequels. So, about 38% of Pixar's output will be sequels/prequels. That really isn't too bad a percentage. Sequels are a safe bet for obvious reasons, but I don't know if that percentage can really be called "milking" their franchises.

On the films in question though, I'm not too enthused. Toy Story 4, well, I thought Toy Story 3 ended perfectly, especially if one subscribes to the idea that Andy is the 'true protagonist', and that the trilogy accounts for three phases of life, in relation to how one sees their childhood objects. That said, neither TS1 nor 2 demanded a sequel, but both got them, so hey, a 4th film could turn out well. As for the Incredibles, well, never been that enthused about the original film, so hey, another superhero flick. Yay. :(

Oh, and Cars, well, I quite like the original, if not Cars 2, but Planes isn't Pixar's work, so, yeah. But at the least, I can't begrudge them making a third Cars film. Cars sells. One has to pay the bills.

-Batman: I'd rate the Dark Knight Trilogy as Dark Knight>Batman Begins>Rises, so, um, yeah. First film ain't "meh." ;p

-Zootopia: Eh, well, I don't think it needs a sequel, but hey, best DAC film ever (shut up, it is)? I wouldn't say no to a sequel.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Fox12 said:
The thing is, I love Pixar. It was Disney's gold standard after they shut down their 2d animation department. It's just unfortunate to see it get turned into yet another movie mill.
I guess it remains to be seen which way these new sequels will be going: equal to or better than the original such as Toy Story, or lesser like Monsters University or Cars 2. If the former, no harm no foul. If the latter, then yeah, that would be a real shame.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I fucking hate the cars franchise. But if the merchandise alone can fund the good movies then I guess it's a necessary evil.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Igor-Rowan said:
Why is Toy Story 4 being made? I mean, The Incredibles sequel is something people have been waiting for years and I like the Cars franchise as sort of a guilty pleasure, and a sequel shows they are trying their hardest for the mainstream to like it. But Toy Story is kinda like Harry Potter, you grow up with it and sees it let go, but keeping it around doesn't feel right, especially since Andy is kind of a metaphor for us, he has the memories, but can't hold into the past forever. But hey, that's just me, it's not like I'm saying it's gonna be bad or rooting for it.
Assuming what I read ages ago is still valid, I think Toy Story 4 will address the where about of Woody love interest Bo Peep (I think part of the story is a love story as in how Woody met her).

OT- I think it's a tad too soon to assume the worst out from Pixar?

Ok ok, Cars 2 and Brave suck but they turn around with Inside Out and hey, I even doubted if Finding Dory was justify needed a sequel but out to be an excellent sequel! All I saying is chill out people!