The Inequitable Equity of MMOs

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Have to say that this is the most well written article I've seen on the escapist in a while. I can truly relate to your story, as a lot of people seem to. You put a smile on my face and really helped put my life into perspective. I've been attempting to chase that feeling for quite a number of years and was blaming the poor standard of games. Glad to see it's just a part of growing up.

Going to save this article so my son can read it when he grows up and see if he can also relate.

Thanks again, Levi

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Ditto with Everquest. played a whole bunch of MMOs since then and you're right, you'll never get that engrossment as you did with your first when life seems to be in the shits.

Great read. You never see the underlying issue till some1 else brings it up. At least i know y MMOs don't do it for me anymore.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Li Mu said:
Completely random and off the point question;

You mention your husband and you yourself appear to be a man (I don't know many girls named Jeff). I didn't think gay marriage was possible 5 or 6 years ago.
The word he used was "spouse." It is also a term used in civil unions and domestic partnerships, both of which have been around in the U.S. since the early 2000s, right around when SWG was popular.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Ditto with Everquest. played a whole bunch of MMOs since then and you're right, you'll never get that engrossment as you did with your first when life seems to be in the shits.

Great read. You never see the underlying issue till some1 else brings it up. At least i know y MMOs don't do it for me anymore.
Meh, not true. I played EQ involvement with SWG.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Akisa said:
DTWolfwood said:

Meh, not true. I played EQ involvement with SWG.
i had the same experience with a different MMO had nothing to do with the games itself. As in EQ was my first and had the same addiction during a time in my life was wasn't all too happy about.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
The word he used was "spouse." It is also a term used in civil unions and domestic partnerships, both of which have been around in the U.S. since the early 2000s, right around when SWG was popular.
He did say husband.

Real life wasn't offering me anything better which made it even easier to put it on the back burner. Instead I poured myself into the little projects I'd created in my new virtual life. My museum devoured countless hours, endless resources and much of my husband's sanity. I even did odd jobs on the side; a wedding dress here or a trenchcoat there. I looked for any excuse to ignore the real world a little longer.
But sure, it was probably a domestic partnership.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Li Mu said:

You mention your husband and you yourself appear to be a man (I don't know many girls named Jeff). I didn't think gay marriage was possible 5 or 6 years ago.
Sheo_Dagana said:
Li Mu said:

He used Husband a few times, and could be that the author lives in Canada, or got married there, same-sex marriage was legalized in 2005.

On topic: I had a friend of mine loose himself in that game once upon a time, I however, spent thousands of hours playing Star Wars: Battlefront with my younger brother. I spent so much time as a rebel sniper that I could hit a storm troopers helmet from half of Bespin: Platforms away.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
The introspection in this article gives me the chills.

Now if you'll excuse me, I want to go home and rethink my life.