The Internet Pollutes the Atmosphere More Than India, Says Greenpeace

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Internet Pollutes the Atmosphere More Than India, Says Greenpeace

Reading this news post will release .03 grams of carbon dioxide into the air. Happy Earth Day!

A new report from Greenpeace claims that the Internet and cloud data storage is a real environmental problem. If the internet were ranked as its own independent nation, it would be the fifth worst polluting country in the world, behind the US, China, Russia, and Japan. Most of that is because large data-centers and server farms are built in areas where electricity is generated from "dirty" coal plants. Information technology companies like Facebook and Yahoo! build their datacenters near these plants because such energy is generally cheaper, but this has a strong effect on the environmental impact of the Internet, says Greenpeace.

Right now, the servers that host the Internet and all the online data in the world consume about 2 percent of the world's energy. But that number grows about 12 percent per year and Greenpeace urges that we have to begin considering the source of that power.

For example, the report claims that Facebook uses dirty coal for 53.2 percent of its power needs. Google, on the other hand, was commended for its initiatives to purchase wind power in Iowa and Microsoft's similar deal in Dublin.

"While a few companies have clearly understood that the source of energy is a critical factor in how green or dirty our data is, and have demonstrated a commitment to driving investment attached to clean sources of electricity, the sector as a whole still seeks to define 'green' as being 'more efficient,'" the report read. "This failure to commit to clean energy in the same way energy efficiency is embraced is driving demand for dirty energy, and is holding the sector back from being truly green."

Also, according to an infographic produced by Wordstream, a single email generates .03 grams of carbon dioxide every time it fires off across the internet pipes. That means the 63 trillion spam emails that are sent every year result in emissions equal to 1.6 million cars driving around the world.

And if you equate sending an email to reading this post, you are a part of the problem. So get working on renewable energy, people! Someone's got to come up with a way to get electricity from water or something.

Source: LA Times [http://www.greenpeace.org/international/Global/international/publications/climate/2011/Cool%20IT/dirty-data-report-greenpeace.pdf]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oh Greenpeace, some of the things you say makes less sense than the stuff PETA spews on a regular basis.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I believe in "Global Warming" (hate the term, though), I'm all for protecting the environment and saving the rain forest... and for "some reason" I still hate Greenpeace whenever they make an announcement.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
My retort would be they expel far more CO2 than me using my computer by breathing, so kindly lead by example and cease your emissions.

dnnydllr

Apr 5, 2009
Greenpeace also refers to nuclear energy as "dirty, dangerous, and unnecessary" despite it being emissions free, safer than most other power sources (especially when you consider the 20,000 coal miners that die in China every year), and provides 15% of the world's power. I will never ever believe anything this organization puts out there, no matter how logical it seems. They are officially the environmentalist equivalent to PETA.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
They're right! To offset all the damage we're doing by posting on this forum, let's help the planet by subsidizing GMOs and nuclear power!

[sub]Oh wait, they only want to help the planet in useless, unsustainable ways that only serve to draw attention to their inefficacy. Nevermind, then.[/sub]

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
But...it's totally worth it! Without us, the world would never have known the wonder that is nyan cat, or lolcats, or business cat (I'm a cat person, shut up!). Or /b/, or offended, or Anonymous, or trolls...wait, I'm not helping our cause here, am I?
Well, I'm off to drink something green (absinthe) on this fine earth day, while listening to Green Day, wearing my favourite green shirt, and doing my calculations in green ink. There, is that green enough for you?

PS: greenpeace can fuck off until they actually do something about the environment aside from a) protesting relatively harmless things (like nuclear power), b) wasting fuel and other resources for said protests, and c) spreading false information (eg regarding GMOs).

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Why is it that whilst every group like Greenpeace or PETA is always right, they're also oh so very, unbelievably wrong at the same time.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Sorry greenpeace but this isn't a battle you could possibly hope to win, the internet would be lining up to throw koalas into a furnace if it meant that they could stay on the internet for even one more day.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
HankMan said:
<color= green>I'm not contributing to pollution because this post has officially gone green.
TestECull said:
2: CO2 is harmless. Plants breath it in, see?
<color= green>Co2 IS a Greenhouse gas and the trees don't breath <url=http://www.paulmacrae.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/muana-loa-co2-caption.gif> ALL of it in.
I'm sorry, off topic, but HankMan; do you exist for any reason other than to make horrible, horrible puns in every single news post? Not that I have a problem with it, just curious.

And as much as I don't terribly care for greenpeace, this MIGHT be an actual issue. I'd need to see data from another source, though.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Well yeah I suppose it would. It is used by a good chunk of the globe. The only silliness hear is taking something a good chunk of the world uses and then trying to classify it as if the energy used for it is from one nation.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Very intresting theory Greenpeace but guess what?
[HEADING=1]I don't give a shit.[/HEADING]