The issue of moderates

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
A bit of backstory: I recently moved away from home to a city on the other side of the county, it's actually quite a distance truth to be told. However I am lucky enough to know a lot of people here allready due to activety in various organizations, but very few of these people are in any meaning of the word; geeks.

I found that it's quite easy to spot the more extreme nerds from a distance, as well as up close. However the more "moderate" nerds are harder to pin out. When I say moderate, be aware that I don't talk about people being less interested in nerd- og geekculture but rather people not making that big a deal out of their interests.

This thread however is not about me finding nerds in my city, but rather if you've found some universal similarities in nerds that don't go full out in public. Be it hairstyle, clothing, assecories or the like. If you were to look for a "moderate" nerd on the street, what would you look out for?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
By "moderate" nerd do you mean normal people who like geeky stuff? I think that includes most "nerds", honestly. You're really not going to know what a person's interests are and whether you'd get along unless you talk to them. I've met plenty of geeks who you'd never think were huge gamers at first glance.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I am filling up my d&d group with the moderate nerds. You wouldn't know we are nerds if you saw us walking down the street until you see us turn into the games and comic book store.

I don't know how I managed to pull it off, but yeah it is nice to find "normies" that like the nerdy things.

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
Fappy said:
By "moderate" nerd do you mean normal people who like geeky stuff? I think that includes most "nerds", honestly. You're really not going to know what a person's interests are and whether you'd get along unless you talk to them. I've met plenty of geeks who you'd never think were huge gamers at first glance.
I am well aware, but I am wondering if there might be some striking similarities between most geeks. Like there can be said to be within other subcultures.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Eh, I'm probably one of the people you're talking about. Since I decided to have a dress sense and exercise I actually look like a normal person. The only 'nerdy' items (or just things that show an utter lack of dress sense I guess) that I own are a Judge Dredd shirt and an Iron Maiden shirt, unless you struck up a conversation with me about gaming you probably wouldn't guess I was pretty nerdy. To be honest, the only person I know that you might guess is a nerd is one of my mates that wears comic book shirts a lot, but that's it really, without wanting to sound like hipsters I'd describe us as alternative.

I actually can't think of much that sets nerds apart. This will probably sound awful, but attractive people are less likely to be nerds. If they're dressed in the current, mainstream fashion, they're probably less likely to be nerds (living in England right now, I'd say chinos, any item of clothing from Hollister). Nerds tend to be the people who were shunned in school, so I guess it's not surprising a lot of 'alt' people tend to be a bit nerdier too.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Socius said:
Fappy said:
I am well aware, but I am wondering if there might be some striking similarities between most geeks. Like there can be said to be within other subcultures.
Well, yes, there is a similarity, it may shock you but it's "we're human". I know, I almost fell off my chair when I found out, too.

...what similarity are you after? A secret handshake? A secret hand gesture? A secret walk? If any of those exist, I wasn't let in on the secret. I don't have any "weird" hairstyle (aside from me doing my haircuts, so I may not immediately get the neck just right some times), no hobby related wardrobe items, no tattoos and no other obvious marks. I don't know any secret handshakes, signs or walks, although I've been told I sometimes have a very slight limp (dunno, never noticed it, and it apparently comes and goes, I think it's more noticeable when going uphill). I've got glasses, though, does that count?

I'd be honestly surprised if you managed to pick out any of my hobbies from my looks, as I usually just go with jeans and a shirt, maybe a top if it's cold-ish. What could be there to distinguish me from anybody rest? And why would it be there at all - do my hobbies irradiate me or something thus changing my DNA?