The Joker Joins the Brave and the Bold

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
The Joker Joins the Brave and the Bold

Cartoon Network's kid-friendly take on the Dark Knight finally welcomes his arch-nemesis.

For fans of science-fiction and comic books, staying home on a Friday night has finally become an acceptable practice. With amazing shows such as Batman: The Brave and the Bold [http://www.hulu.com/dollhouse], which has the masked avenger teaming up with popular DC heroes to fight crime, solve mysteries and offer up a moral lesson at the end of every half-hour. It's a different, decidedly lighter take on the son of Gotham, but it's still the goddamn Batman, which makes it great.

While Batman has taken on the likes of Gentlemen Ghost, Baby Face and the Black Manta, his most revered nemesis has yet to make an appearance: The Joker. Considering the boost in Mr. J's popularity due to the success of The Dark Knight, it seems almost overdue for The Joker to make his grand entrance.

On this weeks special two-part episode, parallel worlds cross over as Batman swaps places with his criminal counterpart, Owlman. When Batman returns, he finds himself being hunted by a team consisting of Green Lantern, Aquaman and the Blue Beetle, leaving his only option to bring the Owlman down is to team up with none other than the Joker. Jiminy jillickers Batman!

Newsarama [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20166] has clips of the episode, along with voice cast that reveals Jeff Bennett behind the Joker, as opposed to series favorite Mark Hamill. The idea of someone else taking up the Joker in an animated series may sound like heresy, but the series has been great thus far so I'm willing to give it a shot. Batman: The Brave and the Bold airs Friday night at 8PM on Cartoon Network.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
I don't think Batman would have that hard of a time losing Aquaman or the Blue Beetle. If Ultraman is in the show, I may consider watching it.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
I liked The Batman so much better, and the original animated series before that. This is just... ugh. I only give my support to Cartoon Network still because they brought me the original Toonami and Rick Roll'd millions.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
As someone who re-watched the old cartoons in college just to make sure nostalgia wasn't clouding my brain about how good they were...I don't watch the new cartoons because they rarely come close.

Search your feelings Jared. You know it's true.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
I've really enjoyed some of the Brave and the Bold episodes. The one with Plastic man was particularly good. The one with The Atom and Aquaman in Batman's bloodstream trying to fight those nanobot things was very good.

Aquaman: I'll name him Platelette!
The Atom: But that's a Lymphocyte.
Aquaman: Platelette it is!

Aquaman: That's right Platelette, big hug!
The Atom: Actually he thinks your a foreign contaminant and he is attempting to surround and absorb you.
Aquaman: Sure feels like a hug!

EDIT: Wow, I just went and watched the clip. I don't think I like the voice they are using for the Joker. He's fine I suppose, but I liked the higher pitched voice he used to have. He just doesn't sound like the Joker is supposed to.

tiamat5

Aug 6, 2008
I am nauseated. Batman team up with the Joker? That is the stupidest thing i have heard in a long time. I could barely stand the one dimensional characters, Batman's constantly changing personality (from five year old mentality one minute, to competitive teenager to stick in the mud), the constant fawning over who gets to be Batman's buddy, the idiotic conversations, the hero worship and Batman becoming like Bird man walking right into traps unprepared and his @$$ always having to be saved by everyone but this is the last straw. Batman would rather chew off his fingers then ask the Joker for anything. This show is extreme garbage.

niblik

Jun 13, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
As someone who re-watched the old cartoons in college just to make sure nostalgia wasn't clouding my brain about how good they were...I don't watch the new cartoons because they rarely come close.

Search your feelings Jared. You know it's true.
If its not voiced by Mark Hammill, it ain't the Joker.

C'mon, the guy does an outstanding job as The Joker. Just hire him for pete's sake!