The JoyCon Holder Included With Nintendo Switch Doesn't Charge

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The JoyCon Holder Included With Nintendo Switch Doesn't Charge

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1374/1374416.jpg
If you want to charge your Nintendo Switch JoyCons while playing you'll have to shell out $30 for a charging grip.

A bit of bad news regarding the Nintendo Switch's fancy new JoyCon controllers. While playing the console in portable mode, with the controllers connected to each side of the tablet unit, will charge them, if you are playing the game in TV mode with the JoyCon's connected to the grip that comes bundled with the unit, will not. You'll have to go ahead and shell out $30 for the official charging grip [https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Con-Charging-Grip/dp/B01N33MFPK/ref=sr_1_1?srs=2530009011&ie=UTF8&qid=1484580345&sr=8-1&keywords=joy-con+charging+grip] if you want to play and charge at the same time.

Essentially, the basic JoyCon grip included with the console is simply a plastic shell with no additional features. It's the same as simply holding one JoyCon controller in each hand.

Nintendo's official site lists the Joy-Con's battery life as "about 20 hours", although notes this may become shorter with use over time. The two Joy-Con take 3.5 hours to charge - whether attached to the Switch itself or the premium Joy-Con charging grip accessory.

Something to consider when purchasing the console.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-16-nintendo-switchs-basic-joy-con-grip-doesnt-charge-controllers]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
This article is confusing and kinda misleading I think.

I mean...duh? Phone cases also dont charge phones.

At first I thought that having them on the Switch did nt charge them, but apparently the covers dont charge them and...did anyone think they would?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Well done Nintendo, just when I thought you couldn't get any lower. I suppose it would have bankrupted you to put $0.10 worth of electronics in that empty shell so the user could plug in a USB cable to charge it that way. But I suppose that'd be too convenient eh?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Can't really say I have a problem with this presuming the initial cost is lower thanks to it's absence.

It'd be nice as a backup if you forgot to charge them, but this seems like a non issue if you connect the things when not playing every now and then.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I must say...Jim's episode on the Switch today was a really good one. :^)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I didn't think the battery or the connection to charge it was in those things anyway. Why would it be? This confuses me.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just watched the latest Jimquisition and apparently those things do more than I thought they did. Still a little confused though.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I can understand it increasing the price of the system but, this is pretty stupid.
Saelune said:

At first I thought that having them on the Switch did nt charge them, but apparently the covers dont charge them and...did anyone think they would?
Not the cover things that add shoulder buttons, the 'controller' shell that you slide them into in console mode. Nintendo advertised that feature a while back I think but it seems they really wanted to cut costs.
Canadamus Prime said:
I didn't think the battery or the connection to charge it was in those things anyway. Why would it be? This confuses me.
Because if in Console Mode, you'd actually have to stop playing entirely if you want to charge the damn things.

Unless you mean the little shoulder button covers. Yeah, those don't. Nintendo having a bunch of names for all of the accessories is making describing what is what a total nightmare.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
I can understand it increasing the price of the system but, this is pretty stupid.
Saelune said:

Not the cover things that add shoulder buttons, the 'controller' shell that you slide them into in console mode. Nintendo advertised that feature a while back I think but it seems they really wanted to cut costs.
Canadamus Prime said:
Because if in Console Mode, you'd actually have to stop playing entirely if you want to charge the damn things.

Unless you mean the little shoulder button covers. Yeah, those don't. Nintendo having a bunch of names for all of the accessories is making describing what is what a total nightmare.
*shrug* That's what I do when playing my Wii U anyway. Still Nintendo's been pretty damn stupid lately.

Nov 19, 2016
So now the console is from what I can gather looking at preorders ?330 and if I want to charge the controllers while I play that'll be another ?30 and the game price point seems to be about ?70-75. I was actually super hyped for the Switch. Now maybe I'll pick up one second hand for Christmas 2018.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/

Was the drama really necessary? Because the article had me panicked that the Joy-Cons wouldn't be charging while connected to the Nintendo Switch Console. It's easily stated by Nintendo that the Switch has the cheaper Joy-Con Grip while the Joy-Con Charging Grip is sold separately.

On the other hand I'd like to get dramatic over the fact that I haven't seen the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller available for pre-order. I wouldn't dare buy a Nintendo Switch without also buying this controller. Because I rather not unplug the Joy-Cons from the Nintendo Switch Console

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
"While playing the console in portable mode, with the controllers connected to each side of the tablet unit, will charge them, if you are playing the game in TV mode with the JoyCon's connected to the grip that comes bundled with the unit, will not." - What is this terribly muddled English! 'While' needs to be replaced by 'Whilst'; "with the controllers connected..." could benefit from some optional parentheses for clarity, and 'will not' doesn't even fit at all - 'they will not charge' is a suitable replacement.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
An inconvenience, but not a huge one. If the 20 hours of battery life is true, even if that gets halved during the life of the console all it really amounts to is making a habit of putting them back on the portable screen when you're done playing.

Which... Why wouldn't you?

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Of course... $30 for $5 of material that should be there anyway. Why not scalp the customers? I mean, if Apple can do it...

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I honestly don't understand why they're skimping so much when it's the same price as a PS4 Slim and pretty woeful in regards to power.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Oooooor, you could just buy a 3rd party one that costs less than 1/2 the price.

Besides, this is Nintendo; the same company that couldn't even be bothered to pack in a fucking CHARGING CABLE with their 3DS handhelds. Scalpers, the lot of 'em.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Kajin said:
An inconvenience, but not a huge one. If the 20 hours of battery life is true, even if that gets halved during the life of the console all it really amounts to is making a habit of putting them back on the portable screen when you're done playing.

Which... Why wouldn't you?
it adds the two unnecessary steps of kneeling near the console and taking the .... joycons (god i hate that name) and also kneeling and putting them back.

Jan 27, 2011
Goddammit Nintendo.

Ugh, I mean, it figures, considering that the stupid holder for the thing is just a plastic shell, but...

This is an added annoyance.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
TheMajesticSpaceDuck said:
So now the console is from what I can gather looking at preorders ?330 and if I want to charge the controllers while I play that'll be another ?30 and the game price point seems to be about ?70-75. I was actually super hyped for the Switch. Now maybe I'll pick up one second hand for Christmas 2018.
Depends on where you live because sales tax aka VAT is different in your country to mine
For me its 309 for the console, fairly sure the charging thing is 30 still(i can deal with the 20 hour battery life so i dont think im gonna get it either way) and the games being 70-75? wut? havn't seen this anywhere, just the normal 60 eu like it is on every other console.