The Just Cause 3 Launch Trailer is a Fan-Made Rap about Explosions

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The Just Cause 3 Launch Trailer is a Fan-Made Rap about Explosions

Winner selected from 1,200 entries.

Just Cause 3 developer Avalanche Studios and publisher Square Enix launched a contest in October [https://mytrailer.justcause.com/], allowing fans to create and submit videos to be considered for the official Just Cause 3 Launch Trailer. Today, the winner was revealed, and the Launch Trailer released.

The winning video is a fun rap about explosions from CoolTwinSkittles [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM_KNonaEGc], and was selected from a pool of roughly 1,200 submissions.

"The response to the Just Cause 3 Trailer Competition was overwhelming, with some 1200 entries showcasing the talent of our community," the video description reads. "Choosing a winner was extremely hard, but the energy, humour and general quality of our chosen winner cemented him as the panel's favourite."

Just Cause 3 releases tomorrow, December 1, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Why hip hop? Why not something that fits action sequences more, such as heavy metal or punk?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Well I liked it.

Considering how much modern media spend on marketing I have to wonder just how much money this would have saved rather than paying an advertising team to make a professional one?

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Glaice said:
Why hip hop? Why not something that fits action sequences more, such as heavy metal or punk?
Not heavy metal or punk, but i think this one portrays the game perfectly.

It's from a german let's player. He always makes outros to his videos for a specific series of videos and creates them cutting trailer-footage together and overlaying it with a fitting track. It's quite good in my opinion.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I have been hearing from multiple sources that have recieved early retail copies (because classy Squeenix just had to put a review embargo upon this game that only lifts today, cheers squeenix! Good to know you're looking out for all your pre-ordering customers properly) that show bad frame-rate drops and something known as memory leakage from the Xbone's Ram (don't laugh, you dirty scoundrels!) which appears as up to 15min load times upon death after extended play, and various physics and AI glitches that suffer frame-rate issues. The PS4 seems to get away with up to 3min long loading with some frame-rate drops. This is with the day-1 patch, allegedly installed. No word on any PC copies yet.
This game was so close at getting me to pre-order, though i don't gamble as it makes no logical sense, but i certainly hovered over that "Buy-now!" button for longer than is acceptable. Only the tainting of Squeenix's name brings doubt into this mind.

Oh right, the video! Cool idea. Though not quite able to beat the teaser with that mellow cover of The prodigy's Firestarter. That brought feels with implied emotional baggage. That probably got stopped by airport security.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Amaror said:
Glaice said:

It's from a german let's player. He always makes outros to his videos for a specific series of videos and creates them cutting trailer-footage together and overlaying it with a fitting track. It's quite good in my opinion.
That video is so much better than the explosions rap video. I don't if they were going for the random internet humour thing but I personally found it cringeworthy and irritating... though it did show some pretty good explosions.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Wow. If that was the best entry in the contest, I don't want to know what the others were like. That video is BAD.

Scy Anide

Redacted
Dec 7, 2013
Apparently not everyone agrees, but I thought it was actually pretty hilarious in a stupid kind of way. It actually really makes me want to buy it and try it tomorrow and I almost never buy or play games on release. And for once it's not the "In a World" cliche voice that only works as a parody now (see: Honest Trailers). It's also not taking itself too seriously and trying entirely too hard to hype up serious, cool, or epic moments in the game. Those moments can stand for themselves so the voice is free to mock and parody for entertainment value.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
K12 said:
Amaror said:
Glaice said:

That video is so much better than the explosions rap video. I don't if they were going for the random internet humour thing but I personally found it cringeworthy and irritating... though it did show some pretty good explosions.
Meh! This trailer for the game was better https://youtu.be/0ND5dYIFkd0

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
It kinda reminded me of that Legend of Zelda fan rap song commercial for some reason.

"It's Just Cause 3 and it's pretty rad,
Those various explosions are really bad..."

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
wow that was bad. if they wanted a hiphop version they should have gone for someone like Dan Bull instead.
Now, on the other hand this:
Scytail said:
Meh! This trailer for the game was better https://youtu.be/0ND5dYIFkd0
was awesome