the lamest names in a video games.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
McTom said:
Paxton Fettel from F.E.A.R.
He makes watching Formula 1 funny. You know, current world champion Sebastian Vettel - V and F are phonetically identical in German. So yeah. Fettel is devouring the competition. :-s

Crapster

Aug 6, 2009
Fred Ascare and Paula Abghoul from Super Castlevania IV.

Not only are they terrible puns, but they're referencing 20th century figures in a 17th century Transylvanian castle.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Katana314 said:
Dr. Eggman. Maybe it makes sense in Japan, but I can't really follow the fact that the most evil thing about this vile dictator is that he's FAT.
Especially coming from such an inventive name as Dr. Robotnik.
I still call him Robotnik. Calling him Eggman just sounds really, really stupid.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
lbucyk said:
mireko said:
Solid Snake.

Just, what the hell?

[sub]Yes, I know the character is a direct reference to Snake Plissken from Escape from New York. Doesn't explain why his name is a dick joke.[/sub]
You know thats a code name and not his real name
It's still a code name dick joke.

Anyway...

I have to say just about any character from Final Fantasy...

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Hmm, Shepard and Hawke? I mean they're both badass yet safe, not gonna win any awards for character naming but aren't gonna be featured in a "lamest names in a video game" thread.

No wait...

Still name your DA2 character Ebon Hawke and you'll be rebuying KOTOR in no time.
I never thought of that, I thank you now I have a name for both my first and secound play throughs of DA 2 (still havn't bought the damn thing). The First being Nightelfmo.

OT Probably Dante, I mean I have nothing against DMC but the name just never really stuck for me.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Hisshiss said:
Deathwing, I mean really. Blizzard is usually so damn good at names and writing amazing lore/storylines, but I mean come on, they named a fucking giant earth dragon, the "aspect of death" who's trying to bring about the end of days, deathwing.

It's like a kids TV show all of a sudden, made all the more dissapointing considering how boss his trailer is.
Maybe I am the only one, but I think Deathwing is one of the less cringey names in the game. Giving every single living organism a title like 'the Betrayer', 'the Destroyer', 'the Deceiver' 'the Cruel', blah blah blah.

OT: Some JRPG names like 'Regret', 'Rain', and the no. 1 award goes to 'Butz'.
Oh no, they are kicking Butz' butt before Butz can kick their butts.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
bleachigo10 said:
Douche, my rival in the Pokemon games. Why would his parents name him that.
Yeah. I always wondered why my rival's parents always named him 'Shit-bird' :p

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Squall...

No wonder he was emo.

Final Fantasy features heavily in this thread I see.

Yuffie is also a pretty stupid name.

At least we could rename them.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Hisshiss said:
Sapient Pearwood said:
Hisshiss said:
Deathwing, I mean really. Blizzard is usually so damn good at names and writing amazing lore/storylines, but I mean come on, they named a fucking giant earth dragon, the "aspect of death" who's trying to bring about the end of days, deathwing.

It's like a kids TV show all of a sudden, made all the more dissapointing considering how boss his trailer is.
Well his real name is Neltharion...

Which in itself is also a pretty cool name, sort of begs the question of why people insist on deathwing. Unfortunately the WoW lore machine is a beast of a thing, so It's probly wise not to try and reason with it.
Deathwing was what orcs called him and its a lot easier to throw around then Neltharion the Earth Warder. Its a nickname.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
A lot of maverick names in the later games in the Mega Man X series.
Such awesome names as Metal Shark Player, Bamboo PANDAmonium (nice pun right?), and Burn Rooster.

Koruru

May 26, 2011
I'd say Chefbot-9000 from the prinny game for the psp. They even put the DBZ reference in the bestiary.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Master chief, butz, solid snake, big boss, serious sam, squall, Dr eggman, tails,

those are all pretty dumb names

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Heard about some fighting game or the other where the protagonist was named Sol Badguy. Reckon that wins.

On the other hand, a name that terrible has to be intentionally bad.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
Anjel said:
Mario. I mean, who does that?!
theres a guy at my school called Mario. and he's black, which is what i found strange. because srsly, when you read that did you think that? no, you thought he was italian. and had an impressive moustache.

Durxom

May 12, 2009
Cogwheel said:
Heard about some fighting game or the other where the protagonist was named Sol Badguy. Reckon that wins.

On the other hand, a name that terrible has to be intentionally bad.
The whole Sol Badguy thing though is suppose to be a reference to Freddie Mercury though. Most of Guilty Gears names or move names are references to music or rock/metal music.

Ex. Other characters in the game are called Slayer, Testament, and Axl Low(based off of Axel Rose).

So I honestly wouldn't call it a bad name

roguetrooper96

Feb 26, 2010
Desmond... Maybe it's just my personal preference but it sounds a bit nerdy for an assassin with an entire bloodline full of assassins.