The Largest Constructed Magic Tournament Ever

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
The Largest Constructed Magic Tournament Ever

GP Richmond set the record for largest constructed Magic tournament.

Read Full Article

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Maybe it's just how the photos were, but everyone looks really unhappy to be there lol.
Well, you say you had fun so that's good :)

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
i still can't get into it.... (modern that is)
let's talk about the superior maser format,
EDH.
anyone, anyone?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Weaver said:
Maybe it's just how the photos were, but everyone looks really unhappy to be there lol.
Well, you say you had fun so that's good :)
Well I was trying to not get in folks faces, so most people are likely thinking. It's also about getting paired with the right players at the right time. Round 9 my opponent and I got quite jokey about us playing non-interactive magic (Storm vs Hexproof) while the players to our left were playing a GW mirror and were mock sports announcing each other's plays.

Scrumpmonkey said:
Every time i think of getting into modern properly i just see the price of fetches and the massive price-spikes recently of cards after banndings/ unbannings and it really puts me off. If wizards really wants to format to take off in the card shops and at the local level it needs to re-print more modern staples. Here in the UK modern isn't widespread at all and that's because not many people have any kind of access to the cards needed to build a viable top level modern deck.
Personally what I think WotC should do is re-print the Onslaught fecthes in a upcoming Standard set. M15 might be nice because it would allow a brief window of letting non-older format players experience fetches and shocks. Not only will this help to alleviate the pressure on the Zendikar fetches, bringing prices down without tanking them, but it also makes certain color combinations in Modern less awkward.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Scrumpmonkey said:
I would disagree on fetches only being a hindrance to competitive play. There's plenty of little tricks and interactions even outside of [mtg_card=Brainstorm] formats with an on demand shuffle/tutor. Like for instance psuedo-scry by fetching in response to the [mtg_card=Delver of Secret] trigger or currently [mtg_card=Blood Moon] is seeing a lot more play so knowing what to fetch is important. On the simplest level, more decisions make for more interesting and skillful play.

Ultimately the math behind raw demand will always make the land bases the bulk of any non-mono color decks price and there's really no way around that. Not every UW deck wants to run [mtg_card=Supreme Verdict] or even the full 4, but every single one wants a playset of [mtg_card=Hallowed Fountain].

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Scrumpmonkey said:
[mtg_card=Hallowed Fountain] is a $10 card though. You can get it in the Theros Even deck. [mtg_card=Misty Rainforest] is an $80-$100 card. This isn't very tenable.
Wasn't referring specifically to the price, but the nature and ratio that lands are almost always going to be the most expensive cards regardless simply due to the quantity of decks that want a playset of the lands versus any specifically powerful spell. [mtg_card=Supreme Verdict] is to [mtg_card=Hallowed Fountain] as [mtg_card=Cryptic Command] is to [mtg_card=Scalding Tarn]. Shock lands were once $50, and they will indeed start growing again once they rotate out of Standard - after the initial flood settles.

A lot of the issue currently with Zenidkar fetches is that the player base for Magic has roughly doubled since that block. There just isn't enough of those cards to go around. It's also worth noting that we're currently seeing the spike on fetches. After Pro-Tour into GP Richmond into the upcoming Modern PTQ season, Modern staples are inflated.

Also whist I'm in angry old man mode Miracles+Brainstorm=TOTAL BULLSHIT :p
Heh, that's nothing. The real Legacy version of that deck is [mtg_card=Counterbalance] + [mtg_card=Sensei's Divining Top] + miracles. That's a deck that actually takes tons of time to shuffle, look at cards, etc.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
Slycne said:
Personally what I think WotC should do is re-print the Onslaught fecthes in a upcoming Standard set. M15 might be nice because it would allow a brief window of letting non-older format players experience fetches and shocks. Not only will this help to alleviate the pressure on the Zendikar fetches, bringing prices down without tanking them, but it also makes certain color combinations in Modern less awkward.
Well, if I was to start the Rumor-O-Tron again, and repeat the last theories I heard on Reddit, the best time to reprint all the fetches (ALL o' dems) would be in the next block (Huey). Most people think Wizards won't want to put them into a core set, since it's generally used as an intro-to-magic set (and land that doesn't produce mana is confusing), and they will want to print all of them at the same time (someone tweeted about wanting to print full dual land cycles only once).

So, if I've got my (totally unverified by anyone ever) rumors correct: All of the fetches will be reprinted in the next set, to go along with the scry lands. This would keep Standard really balanced, lower the prices of current fetches (I am officially scared to take them out of my house at this point), move the Onslaught fetches to modern, and allow them to make more landfall cards/reprint [mtg_card=Cosi's Trickster] (you know, if they wanted... I wouldn't argue...).

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Catrixa said:
Well, if I was to start the Rumor-O-Tron again, and repeat the last theories I heard on Reddit, the best time to reprint all the fetches (ALL o' dems) would be in the next block (Huey). Most people think Wizards won't want to put them into a core set, since it's generally used as an intro-to-magic set (and land that doesn't produce mana is confusing), and they will want to print all of them at the same time (someone tweeted about wanting to print full dual land cycles only once).

So, if I've got my (totally unverified by anyone ever) rumors correct: All of the fetches will be reprinted in the next set, to go along with the scry lands. This would keep Standard really balanced, lower the prices of current fetches (I am officially scared to take them out of my house at this point), move the Onslaught fetches to modern, and allow them to make more landfall cards/reprint [mtg_card=Cosi's Trickster] (you know, if they wanted... I wouldn't argue...).
It's certainly possible, but then again the fetch reprint rumormill and theorizing is secondary to only Half Life 3 these days. It's going to happen eventually, but I'm more or less in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. On the plus side, I got quite the laugh out of finally double sleeving my fecthes this week. It meant really protecting some pretty hilarious cards also in the decks.

Don't worry [mtg_card=Slippery Bogle], now you're extra safe!

Catrixa said:
[mtg_card=Cosi's Trickster]
I nominate [mtg_card=Aven Mindcensor] for a reprint instead.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
Slycne said:
It's certainly possible, but then again the fetch reprint rumormill and theorizing is secondary to only Half Life 3 these days. It's going to happen eventually, but I'm more or less in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. On the plus side, I got quite the laugh out of finally double sleeving my fecthes this week. It meant really protecting some pretty hilarious cards also in the decks.

Don't worry [mtg_card=Slippery Bogle], now you're extra safe!

Catrixa said:
[mtg_card=Cosi's Trickster]
I nominate [mtg_card=Aven Mindcensor] for a reprint instead.
I was just thinking of random stuff (mostly "please reprint [mtg_card=Steppe Lynx] in a set with fetches" on repeat), but yeah, Mindcensor definitely needs it the most. I dunno, I'd take the manlands cycle too (and maybe some new enemy ones?), but I'd bet it'll be something that doesn't come into play tapped all the time. I guess they could not print any duals in the next block, but that seems really unlikely.