The Last Guardian is in Full Development - Sony Assures Fans

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Last Guardian is in Full Development - Sony Assures Fans

Rumors of The Last Guardian's cancellation have been refuted by Sony itself.

You may have heard a rumor floating around the internet over the weekend that Team Ico's long in-development adventure title, The Last Guardian had been cancelled. Well, The Last Guardian fans can rest easy, as Sony's Scott Rohde has assured us over dinner that the title is most definitely still in production [https://twitter.com/RohdeScott/statuses/475515804067569664].

"[Shuhei Yoshida] and I laughed at this rumor over dinner. The Last Guardian has NOT been cancelled."

Furthermore, journalist Geoff Keighley has piped up, saying that he recently interviewed Shawn Layden, the new CEO of SCEA, who claims that The Last Guardian is in full development in Japan.

The Last Guardian was first shown at E3 in 2009 (thought it had reportedly been in development since 2007), and since then very little information about the game or its progress in development has been released by Sony. It's no surprise that rumors of its cancellation come up every now and then.

IGN, who first posted the rumor, claimed it had heard so from an inside source at Sony Russia. It has since posted an apology [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/09/the-last-guardian-an-apology] on its website for running the rumor.

Nonetheless, despite Sony insisting the game is in full development, it continues to be "vaporware" until it surfaces in some shape or form. Hopefully, we're not looking at another Duke Nukem Forever here...

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [https://twitter.com/RohdeScott/statuses/475515804067569664]

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Just wrote a long comment then internet crashed and what I wrote disappeared :(

Top and bottom of what I was gonna say is games announced 2 years or more before release always get overhyped and end up as disappointments, regardless of quality. Watch_dogs was released just (edit:under 2 years) after announcement and it suffered from this (although the 6 month delay was probably a large factor)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Since the creator of the first two games went out of his way to apologize that his rather stunning and entertaining games didn't look good enough (his opinion), I have no trouble believing that the people behind this are dedicated.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
If they come up with a trailer of the thing and the kid playing/fighting AGAIN but with better graphics I'm just gonna go in the corner and laugh until I split my sides.

fhmy

Aug 2, 2010
The two hours of chaos on the internet was fun while it lasted though.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
Dominic Crossman said:
Just wrote a long comment then internet crashed and what I wrote disappeared :(

Top and bottom of what I was gonna say is games announced 2 years or more before release always get overhyped and end up as diappointments, regardless of quality. Hell, Watch_dogs released just under a year after announcement and it suffered from this (although the 6 month delay was probably a large factor)
Watch_dogs was announced in 2012, which is two years after announcement.

OT: This is going to be another DNF or HL2:EP3 where the hype explodes to the point where no matter how good the game is whenever it is actually released, there is no way for it to actually live up to the hype.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
To me, "not out after 7 years in development" might as well be cancelled. Sony could at any point shut it down for being the money pit it appears to be. I'll believe they've been working on it when I can go to store and buy the damn game.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
I still have faith and the game on pre-order. Sony will surely deliver.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh look, it's the annual 'The Last Guardian isn't cancelled' day.

Merry Not Cancelled everyone!

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I completely forgot about this title. It seems both Sony and Square Enix have games they were originally developing for the PS3 being rewritten for x86.

This is a bit different from what happened with Duke Nukem Forever, by the way. Duke Nukem was stuck being tossed between different teams of developers. In this case we are probably looking at games that are being developed by the same teams, but are being delayed due to having so much code to rewrite. It's like finding out your novel needs to be written in Spanish instead of english when you are already half-way done.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Oh look..another year where people talk about that game that was shown ages ago and rave about it, because they have nostalgia from playing Ico/Shadow of the Colossus.

Give it a rest already, that game is already in the same boat as HL3 aka it's not coming out.

toquio3

Nov 7, 2006
I remember thinking, when the PS3 was about to be released, that this game would be the one I would buy a PS3 to play.

Yeah...

I never bought a PS3.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Another Duke Nukem Forever? Really? You went for that as a comparison? Duke Nukem failed because they tried to take something juvenile from the past and put it in a more grown up gaming era. Only man children and teen boys could really enjoy that game.

AND the majority of teen boys didn't know what the hell it was.

For the teen boys who did know, their parents were far more overprotective when it comes to M games or couldn't afford to buy the game until they heard the game was a pile of misogynist bullcrap and then refused to buy it for their sons. Mind you, the latter group of parents concern was more like "dear god a pair of boobs might be seen. That'll ruin my son for life!" Then they turned around and probably bought their child another Call of Duty.

I don't think The Last Guardian will have enough fart and sexist jokes to make this an accurate comparison.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ah, nice to know the game is still right on schedule for release in 3010 as an eyePhone app.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
toquio3 said:
I remember thinking, when the PS3 was about to be released, that this game would be the one I would buy a PS3 to play.

Yeah...

I never bought a PS3.
I did.

While I have very few regrets about the system (found a BC system, and with PS+, I have plenty of library options and growth), it sure taught me never to buy a system for ONE game.

Buy a system/invest in a platform for the types of games you like that it provides in high quality.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
mechalynx said:
I still have faith and the game on pre-order. Sony will surely deliver.
I'm not as optimistic as you, sadly. Games that have gone through a development as troubled as this one rarely turn out any good.

Damn shame, since I greatly enjoyed both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.