The Last of Us Coming to PS4 in Summer - Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
The Last of Us Coming to PS4 in Summer - Update

PlayStation Turkey boss Sercan Sulun mentions on camera that The Last of Us with enhanced graphics and its single-player DLC, Left Behind, is coming to the PS4 this summer.

Update: A Sony Computer Entertainment Europe rep has issued the following statement to Joystiq:

At no time have we announced that The Last of Us is coming to PS4 and therefore, have nothing to say on the subject.

What's interesting here is the rep didn't exactly deny that The Last of Us is coming to the PS4; just that they haven't announced anything yet. Take from that what you will, but my guess? It's just a matter of time before Sony confirms this officially -- and I wouldn't be surprised if Sulun got a rather heated phone call from someone high up in the PlayStation food chain once the story gained some traction.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/27/report-the-last-of-us-is-coming-to-ps4-says-sony-eurasia-exec/]

Original Story:

Rumors of Naughty Dog's opus, The Last of Us, hitting the PlayStation 4 just won't end, and this time, an executive "confirmed" the game's existence, and on camera, too, no less. Speaking during an interview with Turkish website Multiplayer, PlayStation Turkey VP Sercan Sulun was asked whether we'll see a The Last of Us sequel soon, to which the exec replied with, "There is no information about a new The Last of Us game but I can share this knowledge; as of this summer, The Last of Us will be on the PS4. Both on PSN and physically.... The PS4 version will also include the DLC so you will be able to play 'Left Behind' as well."

The actual revelation comes around the 36-minute mark of the video [http://www.multiplayer.com.tr/video/cnn-turk-multiplayer-bolum-45/], but it is in Turkish.

Keep in mind that this isn't a 100% confirmation, but seeing as Sulun is a high-ranking member of the PlayStation family that's been with the company since 2012, he might know a thing or two that's not made public yet. Has Sulun jumped the gun when it comes to one of Sony's big reveals? We've reached out to Sony to ask for a statement and will update the post once a representative has replied.

If you've played The Last of Us on the PS3, are you willing to double dip to see the game with "enhanced graphics?" Or should Sony offer some sort of upgrade program for those who have already bought the post-apocalyptic action game?

Regarding a sequel, Naughty Dog has already into a movie that could further flesh out the property's universe. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132433-Naughty-Dog-Claims-The-Last-of-Us-2-Has-50-50-Chance-of-Happening]

Source: IGN [http://www.multiplayer.com.tr/video/cnn-turk-multiplayer-bolum-45/]

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Makes sense; I haven't played the game myself, but the vast majority of what I've heard, both on the randomness of the Internet, and from my friends who have played it, have ranged from positive to 'OHMAHGERDLOVES.' If Sony was going to pick even one former PS3 exclusive to port over to the PS4 outright, might as well be the one that's most likely to draw hype and interest from those who haven't owned a PS3. Heck, even those who played the game already might invest more monies for a shinier, DLC-inclusive title. Seemed to work for Tomb Raider. o_O

On that note, I wonder how many people who were originally planning to move from the 360 to the PS4 in the wake of the old Xbox One policies stuck to that after the reversal. Reason I wonder was back then, most common game-I-want from them was, ironically, the Last of Us; was definite interest in a port, or hope that it would be included in the streaming service, so curious as to how much of that potential audience is part of the userbase now.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It's a sensible idea, I imagine there's lot of people with a PS4 who never owned a PS3. I own a PS3 but I'd probably buy it on a PS4 (I don't own it on PS3) so that I can play it after I've put the PS3 away.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Last of Us at 60fps, 1080p, and anti aliasing?

Sign me the fuck up!

I guess I'll have to accept that Left Behind comes with it, but if this is true I'm gonna be all over this.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
ShakerSilver said:
I guess PS4 owners need SOMETHING to play, and a port might just have to do.
My nephew came over with his family for dinner. I had Infamous 2nd Son here. He played it for 4 hours straight and loved it. Texted his friends about what a blast he had.

The only downside to the PS4 is not the number of games you can play, but that you're back into the $60 per territory while I have a ton of PS3, PC, VITA, Wii games, some of which cost shockingly little (especially the PC). But it is a unique experience having that quality of game in your living room.

My advice to anyone that loves this stuff as much as I do: keep your PS3, get a Vita and PS4 and PS+ and a PS4 game or two at full price. You'll have enough to play while enjoying a premium console experience.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
TLoU really could have used some AA, that's for sure.

I wonder if they would want to actually incorporate Left Behind into the game proper.
I hope they don't, that would be a terrible idea.
Anyway if this is true it's definitely making the PS4 more appealing.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Aaaand how about that PC release?
[Sound of crickets]
Oh, right. That whole "exclusive" thing. Well, I'll just keep my money then, Sony. Thanks.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
This actually works out for me, since I'm in that group of people that group of people who had a 360 last gen and are considering switching to PS4 this gen. ... eventually.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Did anyone else think that headline was talking about including an infected turkey monster boss?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I have actually been waiting on this. That's fantastic news if true.

I'd played a borrowed version of it on the ps3 and liked it enough to where I wanted to get it. But I decided I'd wait in case it came out on PS4.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Hooray. I don't own a PS3 but will be getting a PS4 at some point and the Last of Us was the one PS3 exclusive that I really wanted.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I played the ever-loving daylights out of The Last of Us. I loved it. Got the platinum trophy and everything. But I don't know if I'll pick this up when I get a PS4. I guess I fall into the camp of 'Upgrade program' because as enthralling as the game is, after that first playthrough, it loses something. After playing it again on Survivor, I know the game like the back of my hand. I'd need a pretty good reason to get the game a second time at full price. Now, if I hadn't played it, then sign me up.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Man that's gonna look real pretty that's for sure. If I ever get a PS4 I might pick it up once it goes down in price, it was great on PS3 but if the framerate was more stable and edges were less jaggedy it would be even better.

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
I didn't pick this up on the PS3 as I was trying to get through my game backlog before I bought anything new. I'll certainly be getting this for the PS4 if it comes out. Same thing applied as with Tomb raider. I won't double dip and buy a remastered version of a PS3 game I already had, but given the choice between generation versions of a game I don't have.... PS4 all the way.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Now I usually I would never look at a next gen make over of a game if I already owned it... But TloS I would. If it comes with all the DLC.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
If i recall Micheal Patcher called the last guy with an opion or or news from working in a company sony or the last one was Blizz but he went on like they did not know shit for no other reason then coz its in Turkey and they dont know shit.
Dont own either console as they kinda forgot they are meant to have GAMES for them, in the store i work at the xbox ones are just sitting there gathering dust. If i were to get a console PS4 i think is the way to go.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
At no time have we announced that The Last of Us is coming to PS4 and therefore, have nothing to say on the subject.
If it's gonna release in 2014, they really should announce it soon. A lot of people won't double dip, the longer they wait, the more potential PS4 version owners will just get it on PS3 instead, which would make the whole idea of a PS4 port rather pointless. That's what happened when Tomb Raider waited too long.

P.S. Thanks