The Last of Us Remastered Review - A Very Pretty Apocalypse

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The Last of Us Remastered Review - A Very Pretty Apocalypse

More update than remaster, but still a complete joy to play.

Read Full Article

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
That seems odd for it to go from (essentially) 10/10 to 9/10. Wait, 9/10? Blasphemy, The Last of Us deserves the highest score there could possibly be!!1!

Is this just down to the cynical attitude of releasing the game again just with a boost or is it the lack of new content?

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Guys, I really, really don't want to come off as a spoilsport, but I have a question that may seem a bit troll-y.

I have played the game on the PS3 up to the point where you have to start (the first?) generator in a cellar. Up to this point I've already met several characters in the game. But the thing is... 'The Last of Us' didn't get me invested in the story at all. I usually can connect very easily with characters and get subtlety in games, movies and such.

With all the praise the game (and the writing) gets, did I simply miss an emotional entry point or does something happen a little further down the road that justifies all the praise? I'd be willing to purchase the PS4 version, but right now I'm not sure if the game simply flies over my head.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm not the biggest fan of the PS4 light. It draws attention to the controller, which is something no controller should do, and it's constantly reflecting in my screen. I'm actually thinking of taping the thing off.
Xerosch said:
Guys, I really, really don't want to come off as a spoilsport, but I have a question that may seem a bit troll-y.

I have played the game on the PS3 up to the point where you have to start (the first?) generator in a cellar. Up to this point I've already met several characters in the game. But the thing is... 'The Last of Us' didn't get me invested in the story at all. I usually can connect very easily with characters and get subtlety in games, movies and such.

With all the praise the game (and the writing) gets, did I simply miss an emotional entry point or does something happen a little further down the road that justifies all the praise? I'd be willing to purchase the PS4 version, but right now I'm not sure if the game simply flies over my head.
You mean the part where you just met Ellie and are about to set off together with Tess outside the quarentine zone? Because that's still very early on in the game, and it has quite a slow start. The game doesn't really take off till you get to Lincoln.

Ofcourse maybe it just doesn't click with you.

LameDuck

Feb 8, 2014
Xerosch said:
did I simply miss an emotional entry point or does something happen a little further down the road that justifies all the praise?
The game got fairly mixed reviews. Some love the atmosphere and the characters, while others had very mixed opinions on this. The game also received heavy criticism for the poor controls, which some felt made the game more of a chore than an enjoyment. I never owned a PS3 myself, so I can't say either way, but like all games it's not for everyone. I for one never got into the new Tomb Raider, even though people praised that. To me it was a good game, but it simply never grabbed me the way other games do.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
LameDuck said:
Xerosch said:
did I simply miss an emotional entry point or does something happen a little further down the road that justifies all the praise?
The game got fairly mixed reviews.
The original version of The Last of Us stands at 95% on both Gamerankings.com and Metacritic.com and was one of the most widely praised titles of last year, the fact that it has the occasional less-than-stellar review or there's a couple youtube videos ripping into it does not mean that the game isn't loved by many. It was more like a Bioshock Ifinite situation, really.

On-topic:

I've read this review and a couple of others, and they all say pretty much the same thing: the reworked visuals look great and the boost in framerate is awesome; but it's still the same game underneath. For me, that's just fine since I loved the original version. If I ever get a PS3 I'll definitely get this along with it.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I could never actually like any of the characters. Joel seemed like a stereotype, Ellie's only interesting feature was her jokebook, Bill was by far my favorite in how he used the Clickers, and Sam, Henry, and Tess died before I knew anything about them, even if there was no chance in hell that I would ever like Tess. I could understand a lot of the praise the game was given, but never anything about the characters. I found the soundtrack to be haunting, the voice acting to be top-notch, the gameplay to be tense and exciting, the graphics to be phenomenal on the PS3, but I never really liked any of the characters. I stopped at the University, though, so that might be an explanation.

Oh, and not to troll or anything, but I hated the DLC.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ryallen said:
Oh, and not to troll or anything, but I hated the DLC.
I absolutely love the game and I hated the DLC, too. Fucking pointless.

Guy from the 80's

Mar 7, 2012
So they are cashing in by updating the graphics....does it come anywhere near PC quality?
Personally Id rather play the original one more time on PS3 than to buy a PS4.

LameDuck

Feb 8, 2014
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
The original version of The Last of Us stands at 95% on both Gamerankings.com and Metacritic.com and was one of the most widely praised titles of last year, the fact that it has the occasional less-than-stellar review or there's a couple youtube videos ripping into it does not mean that the game isn't loved by many. It was more like a Bioshock Ifinite situation, really.
Yeah, it really was a Bioshock Infinite thing. I never meant to make it sound like people didn't like the game, only that it got mixed reviews by critics I trust. Some loved it, others felt that it was well made, but had several issues that made the game noticeably less enjoyable than it ought to be (the most common being critique aimed at controls and the characters themselves). So it would not be odd for some people (like Xerosch, who I replied to) to not enjoy the game.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
still a shame that it does not come out for pc. im still very interested in this game but im not getting a PS4 or 3 to play it.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I may, just may consider getting it as the story just grabbed me but the controls, the jarringly disorientating sensation of being in an open world game when it clearly is not and thus limiting logical options, and mechanical gameplay turned me off. What I mean by mechanical gameplay is that everything feels absolute.

A clicker is always a one hit kill animation(unless you have a special skill and a shiv), your shiv breaks after the same number of times, every-time (unless you level that skill so there is no suspense over whether your shiv will survive one more time), and the a.i. feels... hollow. Enemy jumps down ledge, stealth kill, enemy jumps down on corpse in plain view, stealth kill, rinse-lather-and-repeat four or five times. One thing that would at least add some dimension to engaging the infected would be the ability to climb onto objects that should be easy enough for Joel, even at his age, but you cannot.

I really want to get through the game to experience the rest of the story but what would be the point if I do not enjoy the game at all? People tend to get irate when I express my disappointment with the gameplay, saying that I am asking too much, but really I think that it could work, but in a different game. This game feels like it should be much more open, dynamic, and realistic than it really is and the graphical upgrade will not help me with that feeling.

The story, environments, characters, atmosphere, and graphics are a freshly baked, homemade pie while the gameplay clashes with it as a store-bought simulated whipped topping sweetened with aspartame. Artificial and metallic, it's an uncanny clash.

I WANNA LOVE THIS GAME I HATE SO BAD!!!

Guy from the 80's

Mar 7, 2012
Saulkar said:
I may, just may consider getting it as the story just grabbed me but the controls, the jarringly disorientating sensation of being in an open world game when it clearly is not and thus limiting logical options, and mechanical gameplay turned me off. What I mean by mechanical gameplay is that everything feels absolute.

A clicker is always a one hit kill animation(unless you have a special skill and a shiv), your shiv breaks after the same number of times, every-time (unless you level that skill so there is no suspense over whether your shiv will survive one more time), and the a.i. feels... hollow. Enemy jumps down ledge, stealth kill, enemy jumps down on corpse in plain view, stealth kill, rinse-lather-and-repeat four or five times. One thing that would at least add some dimension to engaging the infected would be the ability to climb onto objects that should be easy enough for Joel, even at his age, but you cannot.

I really want to get through the game to experience the rest of the story but what would be the point if I do not enjoy the game at all? People tend to get irate when I express my disappointment with the gameplay, saying that I am asking too much, but really I think that it could work, but in a different game. This game feels like it should be much more open, dynamic, and realistic than it really is and the graphical upgrade will not help me with that feeling.

The story, environments, characters, atmosphere, and graphics are a freshly baked, homemade pie while the gameplay clashes with it as a store-bought simulated whipped topping sweetened with aspartame. Artificial and metallic, it's an uncanny clash.

I WANNA LOVE THIS GAME I HATE SO BAD!!!
Its the story thats good, the gameplay itself is mediocre. I liked the game for the story it told, the gameplay was meh.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Xerosch said:

I couldn't get into this game for anything. I heard so much about it yet I ended up bored to death of the store and gameplay.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
Metalrocks said:
still a shame that it does not come out for pc. im still very interested in this game but im not getting a PS4 or 3 to play it.
It's a shame it's not on PC. I was tempted to buy a PS3 when the original came out despite owning a 360 but it was near the end of the generation. I'm tempted to buy it now but apart from Last of Us: RM, No Man's Sky and Destiny I don't quite feel the need to jump to the current generation just yet. I've been entertaining myself quite successfully with Humble Bundles in the current game drought.