The Last of Us Review - A New Apocalypse

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Quantupus said:
Araksardet said:
Yeah, the reviews this is getting do make me bitter it's not coming out on other platforms. First Journey, now this. I hope Sony is port-friendlier next generation.

Still, I've got more than enough gaming backlog as it is, so I guess it's not like I'm lacking for something to play.
Exactly. It seems weird that they would release such a high profile console exclusive so late in the console cycle. I might have bought a PS4 to play this game, but there's no point in buying a PS3 at this point.
I feel exactly the same. I really hope they port it over to other platforms at some stage. Mind you I would assume they have a version for the ps4 waiting in the wings. More than likely I'll be getting one of them....

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Arslan Aladeen said:
Anyone else finding it odd how many people are hoping that a game that's made by Naught Dog, a company exclusive to Sony, gets ported to other systems? I thought this would be common knowledge by now. Don't hear about people going "I hope Mario Galaxy gets ported to ____."
Vivi22 said:
Arslan Aladeen said:
Anyone else finding it odd how many people are hoping that a game that's made by Naught Dog, a company exclusive to Sony, gets ported to other systems? I thought this would be common knowledge by now. Don't hear about people going "I hope Mario Galaxy gets ported to ____."
Not only do I find it odd, I find it even stranger that people keep saying those things right after I posted about the fact that Sony owns Naughty Dog to correct one of the earlier comments. I guess it just goes to show that most people don't actually read any of the posts in the thread they comment in.
You know what I've noticed? This behaviour only happens with Sony's games.
It doesn't matter what Sony does, the public still hates them.
If Sony cured cancer with a drug that can be administered with a simple injection like any other vaccine, I bet the internet would be full of people complaining that they don't like needles.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
grey_space said:
Quantupus said:
Araksardet said:
Yeah, the reviews this is getting do make me bitter it's not coming out on other platforms. First Journey, now this. I hope Sony is port-friendlier next generation.

Still, I've got more than enough gaming backlog as it is, so I guess it's not like I'm lacking for something to play.
Exactly. It seems weird that they would release such a high profile console exclusive so late in the console cycle. I might have bought a PS4 to play this game, but there's no point in buying a PS3 at this point.
I feel exactly the same. I really hope they port it over to other platforms at some stage. Mind you I would assume they have a version for the ps4 waiting in the wings. More than likely I'll be getting one of them....
Why would Sony port one of their biggest games to their competitor's platforms? Hell, why would anyone ever port any games to their competitors?

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
GenGenners said:
grey_space said:
Quantupus said:
Araksardet said:

Why would Sony port one of their biggest games to their competitor's platforms? Hell, why would anyone ever port any games to their competitors?
At the end of this generation, why not? a man can dream can't he?

Wait...can't he?

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
DrunkOnEstus said:
The really good reason to get a PS3 is because a PS4 won't play PS3 games. Do people just forget the prior generations and turn them all into strictly memories? Not to mention the fact that you're going to be seeing PS3 games for a while after the PS4 comes out, namely Dark Souls 2 off the top of my head.
Heck, I still play Super Metroid at least once a year along with a bunch of other games in that era. Plan on giving a lot of games I missed last generation a try like God Hand. Kinda makes me sad to think of newer generations closing themselves off on great games just because they aren't pushing as many polygons or whatever.

Quantupus

Apr 15, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Quantupus said:
Vivi22 said:
Quantupus said:
How is it weird to release a high profile console exclusive for a console with, what is it now, 60 million units out there? Especially when they're able to build on the knowledge they've developed over three previous games. I'm also not sure I see how there's no point in buying a PS3 now. It's cheaper than ever and has almost seven years worth of exclusives to catch up on for those who don't have one. If anything, there's never a better time to buy one.
I personally don't want to buy a $300 console that might not get any new games developed for it once the PS4 comes out, just for the sake of playing a few older exclusives. Though, I might have adopted the PS4 as my new gaming console if this was one of the first games to come out for it.
Sorry, but I don't understand this attitude. Even ignoring the fact that previous Playstation consoles were still supported for years after the release of the next gen system, you're basically saying that you'd rather buy an expensive new console for one title, with no guarantee anything else will come out that you'll really be interested in for, potentially, years, instead of buying a cheaper console which you can actually look at the library for it and quantify how many games you missed that you're interested in. And you wouldn't even have to get it now since the price will inevitably drop over the next year or two.

Now I'm not trying to say that you have to get a PS3, but it seems a bit strange to be willing to pay for an unproven new console for one title, rather than paying less for an older console with the same exact title and a proven back catalogue of good games that are cheap as hell now.
I already have a 360, so I have been able to play most console games. The only things I would need a PS3 for are the exclusives, and I have lost interest in plying most of them by this point. Eventually I will forget about The Last of Us and lose interest in it too, and Sony will have lost a sale. Though the PS4 in unproven, if I want to play console games in the future I will eventually need to pick one or the other. The 360 and PS3 will not be supported forever. It just seems to my The Last of Us could have been a good system seller.

abdul

Oct 27, 2012
Woohooo,glad I preordered Ellie Edition before they were all sold out.I'm glad Naughty Gods still got it.
Also its fun to see some people are freakin out over that 7.5 Polygon review which may very well have been made for the clicks but that's beside the point,the game still sits on top of 95 metacritic score which is quite an amazing feat.(/hype hype hype)

Can't wait to see their stuff on PS4.

DirtyLarry

Jan 24, 2008
Just want to remind people that there are rumors Sony will be using the streaming service Gaikai for PS3 on PS4 emulation.
So if people really believe this could be a system mover, there is your possible solution to playing it on their next system. By that time it will probably cost less as well.

I just do not get all the questions of why would they release this so close to a consoles life cycle? Are people really that jaded and filled with distrust to think a company like Sony would not release a game like this simply as as a way of thanking those who have purchased PS3's? I mean not for nothing, out of the Big 2, they have always come off to me as the company that does care more about making things better/easier for their customers. From the decision to allow any HDD installed on the PS3, to free PSN for multiplayer (yeah yeah it got hacked, move on), they have always done the better job IMHO of "taking care of their customers."

As for the review. I have had this game pre-ordered basically since it was announced. Stopped playing the demo about 15 minutes in as I decided it was best to experience the entire story the way it was meant to be, not in one little snippet. Definitely looking forward to it.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
Platform(s): PS3

I own one but refuse to purchase exclusive titles as they are obviously carriers for rectal-cranial disorder. Actually the only thing I do with it is play the occasional BluRay movie, since PC freedom (modding the crap out of crappy games) and better graphics always makes PISS^3 versions look slightly less bland than the X-Brick $3.60.

Besides, I want plant infested zombies in my post-apocalyptic paradise. Guys with dockers and lead pipes really does not scream end of the world to me.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
I had a horrible dream about this game where I was watching the ending and it turned out Ellie had to go back in time to retcon everything and Joel was getting eaten in the background. It was pretty fucked up. Hopefully this one's ending isn't half as bad.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I was more interested in this game before I played The Walking Dead. Now that I've played the character-driven-raise-a-child-in-the-zombie-apocalypse story once, I'm kind of meh on this game now. I'll still buy it, but the luster just isn't there anymore.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
grey_space said:
GenGenners said:
grey_space said:
Quantupus said:
Araksardet said:

At the end of this generation, why not? a man can dream can't he?

Wait...can't he?
You are aware that this isn't a publishing deal, right? Sony actually OWNS this game, the IP, the technology behind it, and the developer itself. It's all completely in-house, first-party stuff here, funded and resourced entirely from Sony's pockets.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
A whole thread full of salty X360 and PC gamers? Lol.

As for releasing a game late in a console cycle, Google GoW 2 and a little console called the PS2.

molly31

Mar 18, 2013
I youtube'd "last of us walktrough no commentary" only to find multiple vids of people playing the demo...with commentary, along with last light gameplsy 4 vids down.
Guess the day after is too early.
Wish I knew someone who plays this game in view of their window, late at night.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
As much as I would love to be excited about this, I don't trust Naughty Dog after I basically bought a PS3 for Uncharted because everyone said it was amazing, only to end up hating nearly everything about it.

molly31

Mar 18, 2013
GenGenners said:
You are aware that this isn't a publishing deal, right? Sony actually OWNS this game, the IP, the technology behind it, and the developer itself. It's all completely in-house, first-party stuff here, funded and resourced entirely from Sony's pockets.
(No sarcasm) Oh!? That's much more impressive. To think that Sony is making games like these. While Microsoft has just announced that halo windows 8 BS. I've been jealous of ps3 since little big planet 1. I don't own one and my 360 is in my closet beside my 64 and dreamcast... but still go team!

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
GenGenners said:
I...was not aware of that, no.

I will leave, hopes and dreams crushed by the cruel hard mallet of fact.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Jim thinks its strange that the enemies ignore ellie? I would You know you always take care of the adult first not the child???? I mean unless it was to take her hostage I could see that.

abdul

Oct 27, 2012
molly31 said:
I youtube'd "last of us walktrough no commentary" only to find multiple vids of people playing the demo...with commentary, along with last light gameplsy 4 vids down.
Guess the day after is too early.
The reason for that is quite simple,the game's not released until 14th,it's the review embargo they lifted today in advance.Sony usually doesnt try to bullshit people with the review embargos (from what I've seen)á la Aliens:CM and probably they also wanted the sites to build hype for the game as soon as possible,because with E3 on the horizon,a review would be quickly forgotten in the midst of next-gen news.