The Last of Us Single Player DLC Named, Priced and Unveiled

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Last of Us Single Player DLC Named, Priced and Unveiled

The Last of Us: Left Behind will star Ellie and serve as a prequel to the story of the main game.

The Last of Us was easily one of the biggest hits of 2013, both critically and in Naughty Dog's announcement that it was working on new story DLC to flesh out the main game experience led to some considerable anticipation among the game's many fans. Speculation abounded as to what the DLC would focus on, who it would star and when it would take place. Now, after months of waiting, Naughty Dog has finally offered some up some answers.

The new DLC will be called Left Behind and will drop players back into the shoes of the game's co-protagonist Ellie prior to her meeting Joel. Accompanying players through the DLC will be a new character by the name of Riley, who was mentioned briefly in the main game and was also fleshed out in the Dark Horse comic series The Last of Us: American Dreams. Ashley Johnson will be reprising her role as Ellie, while Riley will be played by actor Yaani King.

Naughty Dog has also confirmed that The Last of Us: Left Behind won't be available until early 2014. That being the case, players interested in purchasing it now can do so either by purchasing a DLC season pass or by pre-ordering Left Behind separately when it becomes available in the PlayStation Store on November 19th. Left Behind will cost $14.99.

Source: PlayStation Blog

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
What the shit? I thought they said Ellie and Joels story were over?
How... disappointing.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
chikusho said:
How... disappointing.
Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension.

StewShearer said:
The new DLC will be called Left Behind and will drop players back into the shoes of the game's co-protagonist Ellie prior to her meeting Joel.
Their story is over, there is no more after the main game. This DLC however, is set before and I for one, am excited for it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So no Ish, huh?

That's a shame, I would've wanted to see that.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The Last of Us is easily my favourite game released this year, but to be honest, a prequel storyline doesn't interest me in the slightest. If it had been based around what happened during some of the months that weren't shown then I'd probably want it.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
So no Ish, huh?

That was my initial thought too although watching that brief teaser I realised we really don't get to see much of Marlene throughout the main story despite the fact she's obviously a key character; it could be cool getting a bit more background/ personality for her.

This DLC alone is more exciting than any of the launches titles for the PS4 as far as I'm concerned, can't wait!

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Battenberg said:
Casual Shinji said:
So no Ish, huh?

That was my initial thought too although watching that brief teaser I realised we really don't get to see much of Marlene throughout the main story despite the fact she's obviously a key character; it could be cool getting a bit more background/ personality for her.

This DLC alone is more exciting than any of the launches titles for the PS4 as far as I'm concerned, can't wait!
It was also the fact that Ish was described as a scrawny guy who needed to fall back on his wits rather than his brawn, and that he had a very positive outlook on life even with everything going to hell, that I felt would've made an interesting contrast.

But then there's always the danger of exposing things that are best kept in the confines of one's imagination.

Anyway, I'm assuming you're controlling Ellie throughout the whole ordeal this time, so it'll be interesting how that will play out; Do you take point or do you have to follow Riley's lead? And it probably won't have Clickers, since they're in the quarantine zone.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
AldUK said:
chikusho said:
How... disappointing.

StewShearer said:
The new DLC will be called Left Behind and will drop players back into the shoes of the game's co-protagonist Ellie prior to her meeting Joel.
Their story is over, there is no more after the main game. This DLC however, is set before and I for one, am excited for it.
I could tell you to do the same thing.

If a story is over, how can there be more story to tell?
If what they meant was "The story of these two characters TOGETHER is over" that's just semantics and a cop out to the message that they originally put out there.

I'm convinced that whatever this DLC ends up being, it will be pretty awesome, even though prequels are inherently boring. I was just looking forward to seeing some new or other characters or seeing the world from a different perspective.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
chikusho said:
AldUK said:
chikusho said:
How... disappointing.

StewShearer said:
I could tell you to do the same thing.

If a story is over, how can there be more story to tell?
If what they meant was "The story of these two characters TOGETHER is over" that's just semantics and a cop out to the message that they originally put out there.

I'm convinced that whatever this DLC ends up being, it will be pretty awesome, even though prequels are inherently boring. I was just looking forward to seeing some new or other characters or seeing the world from a different perspective.
the story is over means there is nothing to tell AFTERWARDS. the story however didnt begin where it did in the game, it had a backstory, which this DLC explores.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
oh goody, another 2-3 hour Singleplayer DLC set BEFORE the game so we know how it ends already. Also this is before Ellie learns to shoot or fight so it will all be walking/sneaking around. It's like i'm playing Burial at Sea all over again

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Just gonna wait it out until they make a GOTY version with all the DLC and it would be cheaper.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Strazdas said:
the story is over means there is nothing to tell AFTERWARDS. the story however didnt begin where it did in the game, it had a backstory, which this DLC explores.
Only, what they've been saying up to this point hasn't indicated anything about returning to either of those characters. The exact quote from the playstation blog is this:

I think the world is ripe for more stories, but as far as the journey Joel and Ellie goes on it ends with this game. We were very conscious that we didn?t want to leave this story dangling. If we never do a sequel we?re okay with it, because we told the story we needed to tell.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/06/07/the-last-of-us-neil-druckmann-on-creating-a-future-classic/

If they told the story they needed to tell, why do they need to tell more of that story? I'd say that if Ellie's journey up until she meets Joel was not important enough to include in the main game, then why do they need to tell it at all?

Also, since that interview, they've only said that they have "casted a new character", and that the story would have "strong narrative ties" to the story of the original game.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/27/the-last-of-us-future-dlc-plans/

If you got "you will return to a main character from the original game" from that, you must be some kind of genie.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
chikusho said:
If they told the story they needed to tell, why do they need to tell more of that story?
Okay, normally when someone tells a person they need to work on their reading comprehension they're not really all that serious, but I think in this case you really might need to work on it. Let's look at the key things they said that you directly quoted:

but as far as the journey Joel and Ellie goes on it ends with this game. We were very conscious that we didn?t want to leave this story dangling. If we never do a sequel we?re okay with it, because we told the story we needed to tell.
Nothing they said their says "we'll never see either of these characters again." It says that the story of this journey they took together is done, it's complete, there are no loose threads, and we can safely move on without leaving anything about their journey and their growing relationship unresolved.

You're the one assuming that this means they would never revisit these characters at all in another capacity, even though nothing they said actually indicates that. The story of their journey is done. That's all they're saying. And the story of their journey is actually done, as anyone who's played the game could tell you. There's nothing about that story that needs to be expanded on, and it looks like the DLC isn't going to try to expand on that story.

I'd say that if Ellie's journey up until she meets Joel was not important enough to include in the main game, then why do they need to tell it at all?
It's not that it's not important, or that there isn't an interesting story to tell there, it's that it wasn't integral to the story that was Joel and Ellie's journey and their relationship. There's this little thing called pacing that's pretty important to a story, and spending hours following Ellie just to change things up completely mid way through doesn't lend itself to telling the story they told in the main game. But as something to be explored in DLC form, it may be perfect for that.

Honestly, you seem to be reading things that aren't there and assuming things that you have no basis for.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
oh goody, another 2-3 hour Singleplayer DLC set BEFORE the game so we know how it ends already. Also this is before Ellie learns to shoot or fight so it will all be walking/sneaking around. It's like i'm playing Burial at Sea all over again
This actually brings up an interesting issue.

The thing that made the Winter chapter kinda clever is that it would make sense that Ellie picked up some of Joel's tricks after observing him for so long. So either they're going to break consistency for the sake of gameplay, or they're going to just give you a bow, seeing as Ellie mentioned she was pretty good with it.

Then again, it's not like she ever really needed to learn how to shoot a gun, Joel just didn't see fit in giving her one. They might even give you that bb gun.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Vivi22 said:
Honestly, you seem to be reading things that aren't there and assuming things that you have no basis for.
As I said, it's about bullshit semantics.
If you ask me, "Did you put poison my coffee?" and I answer, "No there's no poison in your coffee."
Later, when you're on the floor gurgling on your melting tounge, I can just turn around and say "Hey, guy, sulphuric acid is not a poision!"
This seems, to me at least, as putting out a public picture where they're safeguarding themselves in case a publisher forces a story character into the thing for marketing purposes.

Also, prequels are by nature pretty boring, and run the risk of undoing much of what made the original work so well.

But I still got the season pass, and it will probably be awesome.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
chikusho said:
Vivi22 said:
As I said, it's about bullshit semantics.
If you ask me, "Did you put poison my coffee?" and I answer, "No there's no poison in your coffee."
Later, when you're on the floor gurgling on your melting tounge, I can just turn around and say "Hey, guy, sulphuric acid is not a poision!"
This seems, to me at least, as putting out a public picture where they're safeguarding themselves in case a publisher forces a story character into the thing for marketing purposes.

Also, prequels are by nature pretty boring, and run the risk of undoing much of what made the original work so well.

But I still got the season pass, and it will probably be awesome.
Not looking for an argument but I would love to hear your definition of what poison is. Because I would call it sulfuric acid poisoning.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
mysecondlife said:
Not looking for an argument but I would love to hear your definition of what poison is. Because I would call it sulfuric acid poisoning.
You can get water poisoning, yet water is not a poison. Again, semantics. ;)

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
chikusho said:
mysecondlife said:
You can get water poisoning, yet water is not a poison. Again, semantics. ;)
I would personally place that under "torture" section.

Drowning, water-boarding, being forced to drink too much water, you know..

But yes. Semantics :)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
chikusho said:
snippity snip
Ok, lets read it together.
"I think the world is ripe for more stories" Self explanatory - there will be more singleplayer stories.
"but as far as the journey Joel and Ellie goes on it ends with this game." The Journey of Joel and Ellie ends with this game. This DLC does not continue the journey of Joel and Ellie together, nor even starts it. that particular journey ENDED, which means there is nothing to do AFTER. This DLC however is a prequel of one of the chracters having a different journey with different character.
"We were very conscious that we didn?t want to leave this story dangling." This story had an ending that satisfied developers.
"If we never do a sequel we?re okay with it, because we told the story we needed to tell." They have made thep roduct in such a way that it would need no sequel to explain the story.

If they told the story they needed to tell, why do they need to tell more of that story?
They dont. And their not. They are not telling more of that story. That story is a journey of those two characters.

I'd say that if Ellie's journey up until she meets Joel was not important enough to include in the main game, then why do they need to tell it at all?
They did not say it was not miprtant enough. The game told a particular story, of two characters, traveling together. Both of these characters had a past, and has a future, but this story was about THIS PARTICULAR JOURNEY. Another story, that this DLC brings, is about another journey.

Also, since that interview, they've only said that they have "casted a new character", and that the story would have "strong narrative ties" to the story of the original game.
New character? check.
Storng ties to original story of the game? check
what your complaining about?

If you got "you will return to a main character from the original game" from that, you must be some kind of genie.
No. Until this reveal neither i, nor you, knew what this DLC story is going to be about. Yet you are te one claiming that you did.