The Last Of Us: What am I missing?

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Weaver said:
It's a mediocre game completely blown out of proportion by the critics, just like every single Uncharted game. And it recieved critical acclaim, just like Uncharted, because it's story wasn't entirely shit like most video games so everyone drools over what is a very standard Hollywood style script because they want to validate video games as a medium with artistic integrity.

Yeah I went there, bring on the flames.
I wish more people would go where you just went. It's like sacrilege to think that games and movies are separate mediums with distinct ways of interacting with them.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Zombie Badger said:
Animyr said:
Zombie Badger said:
Also, why exactly would humanity not deserve to survive?
Because' it's become ruthless and feral. It's certainty a contestable idea, but I've seen several people come to that conclusion.
How humanity acts in TLoU is no worse than how it has acted throughout most of human history. Just in the past two decades I can think of several places where people were doing far worse things to each other (the civil wars in Rwanda, Sierra Leone and the Congo for example).
'

Like I said, it's most certainty a contestable idea, but I've seen several people make the case for it after finishing the story so apparently it looks that way to some people. Probably has to do with nearly every character and major faction in the story being an asshole (as some people see it; not saying I do). Also, the civil wars you mentioned were national, not global.

gavinmcinns

Aug 23, 2013
Weaver said:
It's a mediocre game completely blown out of proportion by the critics, just like every single Uncharted game. And it recieved critical acclaim, just like Uncharted, because it's story wasn't entirely shit like most video games so everyone drools over what is a very standard Hollywood style script because they want to validate video games as a medium with artistic integrity.

Yeah I went there, bring on the flames.
Ice. Hail. Rainstorm waterfall 30 trillion gallon filled aquarium being airlifted by a the avengers sized hwlicoptwr exploding at 5000 ft.

Naughty dog is a safe company that makes safe games, like every other big boy in the industry. Not holding my breath but hopefully the people will tire of the formula sometime before I die.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
To be perfectly frank with you: If you can't see the obvious layers of quality that is literally screaming to get your attention in a game that was this outstanding, I don't feel there is much hope for you.

If someone shows you a perfect 50 lb crystal clear diamond and your reaction is "Meh, it could have been 51 lbs and been clearer?.so its not that impressive", you will never be impressed as are simply looking to create flame bait.

TLoU is nearly flawless, this isn't something debatable, it IS. If you can't see that, you will likely never appreciate the kinda work that goes into these games and should probably find another hobby.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
One thing you have to keep in mind is the current trend in gaming.

We have ourselves a generation of titles that are all about player empowerment, even in genres where the player is supposed to be week (survival horror) games do not hesitate to hand us the biggest, most powerful weapons and go "have fun and feel like superman."

Playing Last of Us was refreshing as I wasn't a super man, just a man. Rushing into combat and pounding the melee button would get you killed, enemies were strong up close, planning and patience were stronger tactics than twitch reflexes and regen health. Add to this the emphasis on medkits, real time inventory management and crafting speeds and you had a game that did a good job contrasting with other titles.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Rheinmetall said:
I played it and I have mixed feelings about this game. It has excellent graphics, face animations, voice over and all, but everything else seems questionable to me. Actual game-play, fighting with zombies and soldiers felt a bit like a chore, the pace of the game was really slow and the post apocalyptic scenario and story more or less predictable. I understand that it is considered by many as the game of the year and one of the best of the PS3 system. What's the game's biggest virtue that it's worth a second play-through?
This is moreso the problem of a third-person shooter.

The writing, the graphics, voices/face animations. These are what make the game great. Please understand, it isn't the gameplay that makes the game so good. It's the story. It sticks with you. If you didn't enjoy the story then there's not reason to like it.

However, you asked about a second play-through. I don't think there's any value in a second playthrough. But I'm also not a person who immediately re-watches a movie I liked either.