s69-5 said:
Nazulu said:
s69-5 said:
Nazulu said:
s69-5 said:
not a parent
Not a parent? Are you kidding me?

I haven't played it yet...
Not kidding at all. But then again, you haven't played it, so how would you know anything about the reasoning behind my comment (and many other comments similar to mine).

If you are a parent, you will get a certain perspective from the game that many non-parents do not. It's that simple. It ties in very neatly with the ending (which I will not spoil) so maybe you should, you know, play it before passing judgement on the game or my commentary on it.

Edit: I did also qualify it with my underline. Some are very harsh on this game for no appaarent reason (or for reasons that they let slide or do do not place to much weight into with most other games). It is mostly due to this game being as good as it is.
Oh jeez. How did I know you would bring up 'I haven't played it' to cover your flippant post. It has nothing to do with that at all.
Yes, I'm afraid it does. Someone who has not played the game has very little offer in such a discussion. Play it then come back here and, love or hate, discuss away. You seem to really want to hate it though.

And no, being a parent doesn't give you some extra judging points.
Yes, in this particular case, it does. Play the game.

Also, there is no such thing as no reason when people make an opinion on something
Keyword "apparent" qualifying "reason" was removed.

But, nonetheless - You sure about that?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.832800.20354415

and your being very general with the people you disagree with. All these are signs of being very defensive.
Actually, if you head up to my initial post, I explained myself at length there, so I don't see a need to rehash.
I certainly will not do it to lend credence your baffling need for validation.

The only person getting "defensive" here, is you.
Yeah, I'm sure me not playing it obviously means I won't understand an aggressive generalisation. Try again.

You continuously use cop out answers and I know you couldn't back it up. You should thank Dirty Hipsters for trying to do all the work for you. Then again, he didn't start off with an defensive stance. All I get out of you is if you don't like it then you're ignorant or there's something wrong with you.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.832800-The-Last-Of-Us-What-am-I-missing#20354415

This is not an example of no reason, just that he didn't explain why, just like you. You haven't proven anything, just used a bunch a buzz words and your opinion.

PROVE IT TO ME WHY PEOPLE UNDER 25, NON PARENTS AND XBOX FANBOYS ARE MORE CRITICAL, WHY THEY CAN'T JUDGE PROPERLY. Just quote this. I know you can't answer it, because it's ridiculous.

I can generalise, anyone can easily. I can say that you just like it because you like to follow the crowd, or you can relate only because you have a kid, etc. You know, really shitty stuff. If your gonna do it then back it up or admit your no mind reader/super quality expert. C'mon, you can't tell me your post isn't flame bait.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
The Wykydtron said:
Oh and the thing with the small community with Ish would have been poignant and shit until you learn the only reason it got infected was because someone left a fucking DOOR open. What? No. I refuse to believe they would lose everything because "oh I forgot the most important thing lol XD"
That's the whole reason it is poignant. You have these people setting up a nice, care free community causing them to let their guard down for just a minute resulting in a catastrophy. There's even a note saying Ish gave the kids a couple a squirt guns, because they have more than enough water thanks to the rain catchers.
Yeah I know that was the intention but come on, nobody is going to forget to shut a door to the outside no matter how relaxed they are. They have children and everything, i'm not one to jump up and say "think of the children" but in this case it is appropriate. It feels like Naughty Dog were leaning too hard on the Increase Feels Lever for no real reason.

At least use a decent excuse, like them taking in someone who turned out to be infected for example

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Casual Shinji said:
That's the whole reason it is poignant. You have these people setting up a nice, care free community causing them to let their guard down for just a minute resulting in a catastrophy. There's even a note saying Ish gave the kids a couple a squirt guns, because they have more than enough water thanks to the rain catchers.
Yeah I know that was the intention but come on, nobody is going to forget to shut a door to the outside no matter how relaxed they are. They have children and everything, i'm not one to jump up and say "think of the children" but in this case it is appropriate. It feels like Naughty Dog were leaning too hard on the Increase Feels Lever for no real reason.

At least use a decent excuse, like them taking in someone who turned out to be infected for example
That's no more of a valid excuse, just a more dramatic one. The way it was presented showed how horrible things can happen due to the most insignificant of oversights, just like in real life. Even when you're constantly fighting to survive, you can't be on the ball 24/7. And it's that one moment where you forget something due to routine or fatigue that can have disastrous consequences. Or when living in a relatively safe environment can lure you into a false sense of security, which opens you up to danger.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
I played the demo and it was mediocre at best. Slow and repetitive with bits of QTE, really anoying.

The story might be good, but I don't think a story like that can surprise me, for stories I watch movies or read books since they do that better than games.
the story isn't meant to surprise you, it's meant to be well written and touching. in the end it is all about the character development, while not original either, it is very well written, and worth your time. that is, if you like a character driven story. remember something can be entirely unoriginal and be very good, and something can be totally original and utter shit.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Weaver said:
It's a mediocre game completely blown out of proportion by the critics, just like every single Uncharted game. And it recieved critical acclaim, just like Uncharted, because it's story wasn't entirely shit like most video games so everyone drools over what is a very standard Hollywood style script because they want to validate video games as a medium with artistic integrity.

Yeah I went there, bring on the flames.
I stand beside you!
Seriously yeah it had good story and good animation not denying that but as far as actual gameplay goes... yeah kind of mediocre borderlining on boring, if I want heartbreaking story I'll play the last of us I guess, but I don't want a good story id rather have good gameplay...

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Add another one to the "loved it but you don't have to" camp.
Seriously, if you don't want to play it, don't play, I for one give it my vote for Game Of The Year.
However, I would have liked a Doughnut Joel outfit in the game like the Doughnut Drake in Uncharted 2, man, that would have been funny.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
s69-5 said:
Nazulu said:
massive snnip of someone creatively dodging the explanations I've given to paint me as a monster
And yet you creatively ignored the rest of my post, including the spoilers.

Quit projecting your defensiveness on me and maybe actually READ my responses for a change, without eliminating keywords and altering to suit your own fantasies of what I'm saying.

I did not say this:
"PROVE IT TO ME WHY PEOPLE UNDER 25, NON PARENTS AND XBOX FANBOYS ARE MORE CRITICAL, WHY THEY CAN'T JUDGE PROPERLY."
Quit yellling.

Joel's choice is almost certainly based in the events of the prologue (the hospital chase is an obvious mirror image to the prologue), and is certainly the only option that a parent (or someone who has come to view themselves as a surrogate) will take.

I've seen much belly-aching about "lack of choice" or Yahtzee's not understanding the end and qualifying with the incorrect "I got mine" - basically, many feel the the cold, calculating "needs of the many" option is the clear choice. That is of course, if you remove emotion from the argument. Joel is not a robot. Joel is a flawed individual who has come to view Ellie as a surrogate of his own deceased daughter. In such, he was not going to fail her this time.

This is where many non-parents get confused, since they can't understand why a parent will not be able to disconnect from emotion to allow for the needs of the many scenario. As a parent, I will say that I would do just about anything for my children. I would definitely try to save them from a militia group intent on extrating their brains - no hesitation, no other choice is even remotely on my radar.

Either way, any other ending, would have been outside of Joel's character.

And I said: Those that are REALLY against this game - those that just spout pure hate, like the one I pointed out to you - fit the description above. Unfortunately, you misread my statement and lost your mind (maybe I hit close to home or something - just conjecture, but most people who get offended by something because it is grounded in something that they see in themselves).

Also - which "buzzword" have I used? Someone is really grasping at straws to discredit me here - it's almost sad...

I explained myself twice now, whether you accept it or not. I'm not going to validate this any further. How about you play the game and stop wating my time and this site's bandwidth. Unless you play the game, you really have nothing to offer here. You don't see me commenting on the validity of the ending of ME3. Why? Cause I haven't played it and thus have nothing to offer in that discussion - like you here.

Life is too short to waste on arguments with people who's sole purpose is to shout people down and not listen to the arguments presented.
I'm not ignoring anything, it's you who won't describe WHY. And once again you still haven't explained why, big surprise. I find this hilarious. Do you want me to put it in capslock again?

Your little summary is a weak explanation that lacks how people may of perceived it. You just conveniently put "as a parent" like it's the overall solution to your argument. This is not proof.

I'll continue this till I get why people under 25, non parents and Xbox fanboys cannot judge this well. Also, keep playing the victim, it helps with everything.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
The Wykydtron said:
Casual Shinji said:

That's no more of a valid excuse, just a more dramatic one. The way it was presented showed how horrible things can happen due to the most insignificant of oversights, just like in real life. Even when you're constantly fighting to survive, you can't be on the ball 24/7. And it's that one moment where you forget something due to routine or fatigue that can have disastrous consequences. Or when living in a relatively safe environment can lure you into a false sense of security, which opens you up to danger.
My point was there really isn't much an excuse I would accept with the whole Ish thing, it's just overly dramatic. I just take issue with how bloody Grimdark the entire universe is, the Ish community is just a good example. Everything is fucked 100% of the time, you can't go 30 seconds without shooting someone in the face for poorly justified reasons (very apparent and disturbing with Tess in the first few hours) and to be honest the entire story of Joel bonding with Ellie is undermined by how terrible Joel is as a person. Topped off by the... polarising? ending. Fuck you, got mine indeed.

Honestly you can tell me that's the point, and I suppose you're right but I don't have to like it.

I'm just too optimistic and idealistic to accept a version of reality as fucked up as Last of Us is selling I suppose.

Mental Cosmas

Jul 23, 2012
The Wykydtron said:
Casual Shinji said:
The Wykydtron said:
Casual Shinji said:

My point was there really isn't much an excuse I would accept with the whole Ish thing, it's just overly dramatic. I just take issue with how bloody Grimdark the entire universe is, the Ish community is just a good example. Everything is fucked 100% of the time, you can't go 30 seconds without shooting someone in the face for poorly justified reasons (very apparent and disturbing with Tess in the first few hours) and to be honest the entire story of Joel bonding with Ellie is undermined by how terrible Joel is as a person. Topped off by the... polarising? ending. Fuck you, got mine indeed.

Honestly you can tell me that's the point, and I suppose you're right but I don't have to like it.

I'm just too optimistic and idealistic to accept a version of reality as fucked up as Last of Us is selling I suppose.
To be fair, there's Tommy's group. as far as can be told from the context of a game they are a proper community looking to become self-sufficient and they're certainly still there at the end of the game. I mean, you could argue that they're still being attacked by bandits (which, I won't deny, does push it a little that they'd attack the settlement. One can think of numerous reasons certainly, but it does seem odd) and because of this are clearly weary of "outsiders", but they're certainly a point of light in a "Grimdark" setting, albeit one that could be cynically disregarded if one was inclined. I'm surprised that group isn't mentioned more often.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
yesbag said:
Nazulu said:
I'll continue this till I get why people under 25, non parents and Xbox fanboys cannot judge this well. Also, keep playing the victim, it helps with everything.
Um. You might want to chill before you get into mod wrath territory. That's getting to be borderline.

He did tell you why parent's perceive it differently and it was almost identical to what you accepted from another user. You seem to have a vendetta at this point, which is why I'm bothering to talk to you at all. Did s69 piss in your corn flakes or something?

Isn't it obvious what he is saying though?

Anyone who's gone to Metacritic can find several user review bombs from "Xbox fanboys".
There isn't some mystical ancient knowledge on that.

Non-parents he's described already.

Under 25 I'm unsure. Maybe it has something to do with emotional maturity or something. Just a guess.

Not sure what you mean about "lacks how many may perceive it" as that isn't what was asked. He described how parent's perceive it, which is what he was discussing in the first place. You seem to want to paint this as something else though - like he's the poster boy for all your frustrations.

Either way - for your own sake - chill the fuck out. You are the one that's looking bad here.

OP: I liked it. You don't have to like it though. I thought the characters were well-written and the pacing was just right. But if you don't like stealth games or don't care about story driven games then this may not be for you.
I'm chilled. He still didn't prove a point, just discredits those he doesn't understand and how he came to that point. He was painting all these people as ignorant, looking at other users here as an example. I'm sick of seeing it. I said this in my first post.

I was never interested in his reasons, I wanted him to actually back up this 'point'. I don't care if there are people who judge it poorly, that's with everything ever, on both sides. He brought up specific audiences and over generalised. And remember, I'm the one asking him. What he explained doesn't magically describe why many can put it down so. This is not how you discuss anyway unless you can prove it.

You are basically repeating everything I'm not interested in, so I wouldn't start pointing fingers who is 'bad' if I were you.

Also, can someone explain to what rules am I breaking. I'm serious, I really don't know. Is it off topic discussion or something?

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
yesbag said:
Nazulu said:
Also, can someone explain to what rules am I breaking. I'm serious, I really don't know. Is it off topic discussion or something?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct
You are borderline on Rule #1, which has a wide berth.

If I had to get specific:

[HEADING=2]Have Respect for Others[/HEADING]
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no one is entitled to attack others for sharing, or not sharing, that opinion. If you can't communicate without using combative, aggressive, or demeaning language, then please keep those comments to yourself, or be shown the door.
Whether you realize it or not, you are being overly aggressive and combative. If I were s69, I probably wouldn't respond to you either. You catch more flies with honey and all that. I mean, you even admitted that it really didn't matter what he would respond, you had made your mind up already - which is unfair TBH.

But that's all I will say. I'm not saying you've crossed the line, but you are riding it very hard.

Either way, as with most things, I believe its a simple misunderstanding. I think you misunderstood his point. Those he was referencing, I believe, are the ones who are unfairly harsh on the game. He wasn't saying EVERYONE who dislikes the game fits in those categories. But you read it that way, and because he was the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, you decided to go nuclear.

At least, that's what I got from it.

Maybe just take a deep breath and move on? I think that's what would be healthiest for everyone involved anyhow.
That's funny. I'm not doing any of that. I'm actually questioning his opinion because he was being disrespectful to others. Thanks for bringing it up though.

Also, can you stop prescribing therapy for me. I really don't think it's necessary, or is a point. Assumptions aren't exactly respectful either.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
My feelings with this game are somewhat conflicted. Gameplay-wise I found it generally good. The stealth and gunplay worked well although they were really just refinements of the Uncharted series' gameplay. I was also really disappointed when, despite the developer's claims that there would be fewer but more dramatic encounters with enemies I still ended up with a bodycount approaching Harold Shipman (and that's just the humans).

The story, however, is a different story. I found it to be generally well-written if entirely unoriginal, although it was exceptionally straightforward and predictable to the point where I was surprised at points when it didn't twist. The oscar bait comparison is extremely apt and if gaming ever gets its equivalent to the Oscars then 'grizzled man guides young girl through zombie apocalypse' and 'small child navigates harsh and uncaring world alone' will be our Holocaust movies and inspirationally-disabled dramas respectively. The world of the story really didn't make sense to me though, particularly the huge gangs of bandits living in cities with seemingly no food source and who could not possibly sustain themselves with cannibalism when very few people should be passing through the cities. I also felt that the fireflies were poorly developed and we could really have done with meeting some more of them during the game.

My main problem with the story, however, is the climax and the ending, which managed to inspire as much hate for the protagonist as I have for Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|

My first problem with the ending is that Joel never sees the morally ambiguous situation he's in as morally ambiguous. In his mind his happiness is all that matters and he doesn't care how many people may die as a result. The possible cure for the fungus could save thousands of lives but he does not care. I'm not saying that he needs to choose the needs of the many over the needs of the few here, but he should realise the magnitude of what he is doing (it would have been interesting here for the game to draw a parallel with the kid who was bitten midway through the game and his father). This was the point at which I stopped empathising with him and is the first time I have ever wanted to just stop playing the game because I disliked what the game was having me do. The most important thing when attempting to tell a serious story in a game is to get the player into the mindset of the protagonist, and this game utterly failed to do so (earlier on I wasn't really forming a connection to Joel either, but the game did get me to care about Ellie). Saying that the game would work better to a parent shows that the game has to some extent failed in its attempt to have the player empathise with its protagonist. By contrast, Spec-Ops: The Line had me in the protagonist's mindset throughout and I came out the other side with a thousand-yard stare and an urge to drink heavily, but in a good way. During the final level of TLoU I was on the side of Marlene because she at least understood the situation for what it was and was wracked with guilt over what she was doing.

The second problem, and the true source of my seething contempt for Joel is that he does not care about what Ellie thinks. Despite the journey they've been on, her saving his life and protecting him from the cannibals, in the end he lies to her so he can live out his selfish fantasy life. He does not consider what she might think and feel about what has happened to matter, just that she take her place in his fantasy as his surrogate daughter. He treats her like a small child who he believes must be protected from the world, patronising her instead of treating her with the respect she has surely earned. When I was playing the final level one of the things that kept me going was that I was expecting to burst into the operating room and have Ellie try to stop me, having fully consented to the procedure, which would have been an interesting twist, but that isn't this game's style.

|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS|SPOILERS||SPOILERS|SPOILERS||SPOILERS|SPOILERS|

To be honest though, if it wasn't for how the story ended I would likely have mostly forgotten this game by now. It generally didn't make that much of an impression on me, with no particular moments staying with me (in a good way) unlike Bioshock Infinite or Spec Ops.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Nazulu said:
yesbag said:
Nazulu said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct
You are borderline on Rule #1, which has a wide berth.

If I had to get specific:

[HEADING=2]Have Respect for Others[/HEADING]
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no one is entitled to attack others for sharing, or not sharing, that opinion. If you can't communicate without using combative, aggressive, or demeaning language, then please keep those comments to yourself, or be shown the door.
Whether you realize it or not, you are being overly aggressive and combative. If I were s69, I probably wouldn't respond to you either. You catch more flies with honey and all that. I mean, you even admitted that it really didn't matter what he would respond, you had made your mind up already - which is unfair TBH.

But that's all I will say. I'm not saying you've crossed the line, but you are riding it very hard.

Either way, as with most things, I believe its a simple misunderstanding. I think you misunderstood his point. Those he was referencing, I believe, are the ones who are unfairly harsh on the game. He wasn't saying EVERYONE who dislikes the game fits in those categories. But you read it that way, and because he was the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, you decided to go nuclear.

At least, that's what I got from it.

Maybe just take a deep breath and move on? I think that's what would be healthiest for everyone involved anyhow.
That's funny. I'm not doing any of that. I'm actually questioning his opinion because he was being disrespectful to others. Thanks for bringing it up though.

Also, can you stop prescribing therapy for me. I really don't think it's necessary, or is a point. Assumptions aren't exactly respectful either.
He is absolutely correct in his summary, I don't disagree one iota. I think you need to take a step back and read everything again from the top.

More on topic; the parent argument is an interesting one, I do think it may help when relating to Joel during the later parts of the game.
It's a shame that if you looked hard enough it was pretty certain that Ellie's death would have been futile as I much prefer the doubt and the effect that has on how we percieve Joel's choice. It didn't need to be justified so crudely.

It was still a great game though, I have no doubt in the years to come it will still be regarded as such by critics. The internet at large is a different story though, much like how shit Skyrim allegedly is now whereas a year or so back it was blasphemy to speak of it in such harsh tones.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
Well, i think it was overhyped. In no way bad, but definetely overhyped. Apart from the ending i found the Story very generic, and i agree with others pointing out that its a bit _too_ serious. (I felt like i was being followed by a Naughty Dog Developer, constantly playing the worlds smallest violin.) It felt like anytime even the faintest sign of something good developing popped up, something ultradramatic happens. I think the best comparison is Dead Space 2, where the game sends you trough 50 children's bedrooms with bloody paintings on the floor (To quote Yahtzee: "I love mommy and being alive."). Stop trying to pull my heartstrings a dozen times in a row with the same stupid bullsh*t game, it stopped working 2 hours ago.

I liked the Gameplay tough, even if the Shiv-Mechanic annoyed the ever sweet Korgoth outta me, especially later on. (CLICK CLICK SUCKER) But what i liked most was the scavenging. I was a bit dissapointed the game focused more on its Story (Especially because its a generic Zombie-Doom Story, apart maybe from the ending), rather than the crafting and scavenging. If someone expanded upon those basics there would be a very neat survival game waiting for us.

I want to point out that i only played a good bunch of sections when staying over at a friends house. I did however see the complete playtrough of Two Best Friends play, so I know the Story. (Before any of these "You didnt play so you are automatically wrong" idiots show up.) And here are my thoughts:

I warmed up to both Ellie and Joel pretty fast. I never quite got the "horrible people" stuff people throw at Joel, for the most part he did what was necessary to survive. Yes, he went to extremes, but given the situations he was in I could hardly judge him. The torture was justified in my eyes, they kidnapped Ellie and Joel didnt really have other options. Besides, they're Canibals. Its not like they could've climbed on their morale high-ground and throw rocks.

And then, the ending. Considering what others wrote, this may paint me as a horrible person, but _IF_ the game would have had me choose, between sacrificing Ellie and kicking the Fireflies in the Nuts... I would have taken the second option. The only moment that felt a bit forced was the very last Firefly Joel kills (I forgot the name, if someone remembers feel free to point it out.), its just "Let me live!" and Joel seems to ponder for a moment (even tough he shot everyone else without thinking a second.) and then just shoots her anyway. It felt like Naughty Dog was trying to force the whole "Joel is a mean mean man!" down our throats. But i liked the ending nonetheless. I didnt want Ellie to sacrifice herself on the off-chance that "_MAYBE_ this time we totally find a cure! And even if not we're just gonna scoop another 50 brains until it does, Hyuck!".

About the only part i didnt like was the very last part of the ending. Feel free to point it out when im wrong, but they show Ellies wound looking worse and then that very last exchange where he promises he didnt lie. It absolutely _REEKS_ like a "Maybe we will do a seeequeeeel"-Cliffhanger. It soured the whole thing a bit for me.

All in all, i was a bit dissapointed that there wasnt a nice wrap-up and/or happy ending. (Yeah, hit me, im a sucker for happy endings, especially considering what the two went trough.) But except that, the ending was great.

I liked the Game, but a lot of the critiques it got praised it a little bit too much. It isnt the Storytelling-Titan a lot of people make it out to be imho.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
ERaptor said:
The only moment that felt a bit forced was the very last Firefly Joel kills (I forgot the name, if someone remembers feel free to point it out.), its just "Let me live!" and Joel seems to ponder for a moment (even tough he shot everyone else without thinking a second.) and then just shoots her anyway.
Are you talking about the doctors? If so, you don't have to kill them (as you've only watched a LP all these nuances can be lost).

Not sure it isn't a happy end, and I don't think the ending was a cliffhanger as it was changed quite late on after it was decided the most appropriate thing was the "Okay" as Ellie's voice actress had been saying it whilst in production