The Last Remnant PC Is Unplayable - UPDATED

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008

No, not unplayable as in it's so bad you can't play it. Square-Enix's RPG, which was just released in Europe, is literally impossible to play due to an error involving its required Steam activation.

Something must have gotten lost in translation along the way during Square-Enix's communications with Valve, because thanks to an error relating to The Last Remnant's Steam release date, the game, which has just come out in Europe, is impossible to activate.

The Last Remnant requires Steam to activate and play. Users have to punch in a registration code on the back of the manual to get the game to work. There's no problem with the code. The issue is that the game - which will be Square-Enix's first on Steam - isn't due on Valve's digital distribution platform until April 9th and therefore cannot be activated.

"The Last Remnant has not been officially released, and cannot be unlocked at this time. Please check Steam news to find out the release time. Steam will notify you when the game becomes unlocked," Steam will tell you if you try to install the game.

The Last Remnant on PC boasts a few new features not present on the original version of the game, including the ability to switch between English and Japanese voice tracks, improved animations, and faster battles. If you Europeans really want to get a taste of the game, check out the demo at the official site [www.lastremnant-game.com]. Otherwise, maybe hold off on buying it until Square-Enix or Valve fixes this up.

UPDATE: Well, sounds like the problem got fixed as soon as Square-Enix was able to open up their office and boot up their computers, if this Steam forum thread [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823827&page=7] is to be believed. If you weren't able to get it working before, all you need to do is restart Steam and it should activate just fine. Kudos to the dedicated gamers who braved the wiles of customer service to solve this problem!

[Via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-last-remnant-is-unplayable-on-pc]]

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Steam/Squeenix, you have failed us. For shame. Fix it quickly, lest you stroke the fires of consumer rage.

deathyepl

May 9, 2008
Tenmar said:
So comes the question, "Will the American retail version that is being released on March 24th 2009 also be unplayable due to steam activation?"
I would be really surprised if the problem persisted that long.

mALX

Feb 11, 2009
Keane Ng said:

No, not unplayable as in it's so bad you can't play it. Square-Enix's RPG, which was just released in Europe, is literally impossible to play due to an error involving its required Steam activation.

Something must have gotten lost in translation along the way during Square-Enix's communications with Valve, because thanks to an error relating to The Last Remnant's Steam release date, the game, which has just come out in Europe, is impossible to activate.

The Last Remnant requires Steam to activate and play. Users have to punch in a registration code on the back of the manual to get the game to work. There's no problem with the code. The issue is that the game - which will be Square-Enix's first on Steam - isn't due on Valve's digital distribution platform until April 9th and therefore cannot be activated.

"The Last Remnant has not been officially released, and cannot be unlocked at this time. Please check Steam news to find out the release time. Steam will notify you when the game becomes unlocked," Steam will tell you if you try to install the game.

The Last Remnant on PC boasts a few new features not present on the original version of the game, including the ability to switch between English and Japanese voice tracks, improved animations, and faster battles. If you Europeans really want to get a taste of the game, check out the demo at the official site [www.lastremnant-game.com]. Otherwise, maybe hold off on buying it until Square-Enix or Valve fixes this up.

UPDATE: Well, sounds like the problem got fixed as soon as Square-Enix was able to open up their office and boot up their computers, if this Steam forum thread [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823827&page=7] is to be believed. If you weren't able to get it working before, all you need to do is restart Steam and it should activate just fine. Kudos to the dedicated gamers who braved the wiles of customer service to solve this problem!

[Via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-last-remnant-is-unplayable-on-pc]]

Thanks for the warning!

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
digital download release date coming after the physical release & that physical release demanding steam access? I wonder do games companies use Steam because its they want to embrace a new distribution medium or simply so they can cynically exploit a pretty restrictive form of DRM they know gamers are willing to put up with.

olicon

May 8, 2008
T-T Now I really wished I had gotten a cheap desktop instead of an EEE laptop. Sure, the thing is easy to carry around, but the thought of not being able to play AAA title for another 2 years is a little overwhelming. I guess I should have expected. EEE is pretty far from AAA.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Cousin_IT said:
digital download release date coming after the physical release & that physical release demanding steam access? I wonder do games companies use Steam because its they want to embrace a new distribution medium or simply so they can cynically exploit a pretty restrictive form of DRM they know gamers are willing to put up with.
Its probably both. And I do like steam because they give some developers the platform they need to release their games (especially if their small). Plus, restrictive DRM or not, they do offer some pretty good deals.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
eh. just wait a while. wont kill you. the anticipation might make the game more fun to play. forbidden fruit syndrome.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
lets just hope all the technical issues from the xbox version are fixed. The demo left me skeptical as it felt rather choppy...and on MY PC!! a PC capable of running crysis full stop without any problems. So yea I hope this rpg is not ruined by bugs.

kato128

Mar 23, 2009
Can't say I'll worry about buying this one. I tried the demo and the mouse cursor was invisible and the graphics were too dark to see and no amount of gamma or other display tweaks could fix it. I don't have anything that is unusal by pc enthusiast standards (my machine is a phenom 9750, asus m3-a32, 8800gts 320, 8gb ram and vista) and my drivers are all up to date.
Its interesting to see the penny arcade guys having the same prob with the cursor but they fixed it by plugging in a xbox controler. I have a PC Square/Enix! If I wanted to use a controller I'd get a console version.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
dont use a mouse, the game was pretty much meant to be played with a controller, but you can use keyboard keys as well. Mouse isn't needed when the arrow keys do just fine scrollings through the menus.