The last RPG you played... that WASN'T Skyrim

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
The last RPG I've played was Avadon, a few days ago.

And no, I've never played Skyrim. And don't plan on it.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
PotluckBrigand said:
Gorilla Gunk said:
Dark Souls.

I'm stuck on the Capra Demon boss dude. I know the guy is easy and the fight should be a piece of cake since I have the Drake Sword, but those two dog-things fuck me up EVERY DAMN TIME.
This is off-topic, but I'll keep it brief: There's a trick to him. He's a pain in the ass.I won't try to explain it here, but just YouTube it... I'm not ashamed to admit I had to. I know everyone knows this already, but holy hell that game is hard. I got stuck at a boss that was two dudes up in the castle proper, took a break for a few days, and when I came back all the skill I had managed to build up had left me.

I can't believe I'm going to have to train myself if I ever want to get through that game -_-

And I can't believe I still want to!
If by trick you mean run up the stairs and drop down on the dude a couple of times, then that's what I'm trying to do. It's just that no matter where I go, left or right, those damn dogs cut me off and trap me in a corner.

And are you talking about the two gargoyles? I just beat those guys yesterday first try. The trick is to talk to the Knight dude at the start of the long bridge where the dragon is at, the one who gives you the summoning stone or whatever its called. Then you need to become human again and his soul sign should be right outside the entrance to the rooftop where you fight the two gargoyles. Just summon him and you're golden. He's an okay fighter but he does a good job of distracting the two gargoyles while you run up and hack them to bits. If you have the Drake Sword it's even easier.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
thiosk said:
scorptatious said:
Hmm. It's been a while since I've last played an RPG that wasn't Skyrim.

I think it was either Final Fantasy 9 or Chrono Trigger DS. Both really great games. (The former is one of my most favorite games of all time.)
How old were you when you first played 9? I'd been playing FF for a number of years, since FF1, and the series officially soured for me at 9.

Chrono trigger, however, is dope.

The last RPG i played was Nethack.
I've first played the game last year. I was either 18 or 19 at the time.

natural20

Apr 7, 2010
NetHack. It's an old-school dungeon crawler (Rogue-esque) and can be really easy to not RP in, but I have a blast trying to stick to the strict alignment rules, keep my pet alive, and just not die. My game of the year for two years running.

If we're including browser-based, I'm also having a good deal of fun with Echo Bazaar.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
KOTOR 2

Yes, I play old xbox games a lot. I have the MMO but I usually only play when my friends are on it

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
ACman said:
Baldur's Gate 2.

I love that game. I wish there were plotlines in Skyrim, or in any RPG from the last 5 years, that could match that game.

(And before anybody mentions Dragon Age: NO NO NO NO NO!)
Why not da:eek: its by the same developers and it's really good although i only played the ps2 version of baldurs gate 2. I don't think that counts though, might have to get it on steam one day probobly only 10 bucks like KoTor and probobly over twice as good but how are the graphics?

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
ACman said:
Baldur's Gate 2.

I love that game. I wish there were plotlines in Skyrim, or in any RPG from the last 5 years, that could match that game.

Why not da:eek: its buy he same developers and it's really good although i only played the ps2 version of baldurs gate 2. I don't think that counts though, might have to get it on steam one day probobly only 10 bucks like KoTor and probobly over twice as good but how are the graphics?

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
ACman said:
Baldur's Gate 2.

Why not da:eek: its buy he same developers and it's really good although i only played the ps2 version of baldurs gate 2. I don't think that counts though, might have to get it on steam one day probobly only 10 bucks like KoTor and probobly over twice as good but how are the graphics?

WalrusPowers

Mar 30, 2011
I stopped playing skyrim on my third day of playing and rescued Final Fantasy IX from it's 3 year dust-coated shelf hibernation. Longest I've gone without playing it.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
The_Lost_King said:
ACman said:
Baldur's Gate 2.

I've thought long and hard about my aversion to the Dragon Age games. It's hard to nail down. But I'll make a few points.

Tactics: The lack of the D&D spell casting system in DA really hurts the tactical nature of its spells/abilities. The move away from "once per day" to "on rotation as long as you have the mana and it has recharged" means that fight stop being tactical decisions of spell versus counter spell and end up being the same set of spells on rotation.

Lore: The lore in DA felt deficient. It wasn't bad but It didn't feel complete to me. I know it's unfair to compare it to the amount of law that has been put into the Forgotten Realms setting but the world of Dragon Age feels tiny compared to the behemoth that Baldurs Gate gets to draw from.

Story: I couldn't get involved in the story of Dragon Age. World ending because of the invasion of the NotOrcs; and only me with my level 1 character can stop them? Don't buy it.
Whereas in Baldur's Gate you start out fighting for survival and only end up thwarting evil in defense because evil attacked personally attacked you. This is far more personal.

A story where the protagonist has to defend themselves is far more involving than a story about the protagonist being the only one who can save mankind.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Soxafloppin said:
Yea I think pretty much every game that month was swamped by Skrim!

Personally I thought it was great, If you're a LOTR fan (Which i sort of am, as in I like the movies)and like Hack and Slash you will like it, The story runs paralell to the events of the films which is nice, You get to talk to the entire fellowship in rivendale before they depart and you get to explore lots of middle earth.

I played through it with a friend and it was a blast, I would recommend it.
Thanks... now I just need to find a friend to play it with... Maybe in May when the release schedule slows and I'm tired of playing Commander Shepard....

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Fallout 3 for me. I kinda fell behind on the Fallout series, so I'm getting caught up.