The Last Story Isn't Coming Out West

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010

Nintendo has "no plans at present" to release the highly-anticipated JRPG outside of Japan.

These days, it's pretty rare for for a big-name JRPG to not get released out here in the West, especially when they're highly anticipated and being put out by one of the bigger publishing groups. However, this is the case of Mistwalker's The Last Story, which is currently only planned to be released in Japan.

The long-awaited RPG is being developed by Hironobu Sakaguchi (the man who created Final Fantasy, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey) and will be published by Nintendo. According to previews, it even has more crossover appeal than many JRPGs because it features a real-time combat system instead of traditional turn-based fighting.

Despite this potential, when a publisher representative was asked about releasing the game to Western territories, VG247 received the following response: "We have no plans at present".

It's more than a little surprising that Nintendo would want to keep the game only in Japan, but at least this isn't a final edict stating that it'll never come out in places like North America and Europe. Hopefully, if the game is well-received enough and enough demand is voiced by the general public, maybe the publisher will change its mind.

Source: Geek

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Well this stinks, it was the one Wii game I wanted... Well no, I also wanted Tri.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh what the f***!

When the latest trailer finally won me over to get me to buy this game and they had to do this...

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Son of a *****.

Well, I hope they change their minds. I'm already depressed that Tales of Graces apparently isn't coming to NA.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
A cunning plan.

1: Build up anticipation
2: Deny release
3: Cause outcry and publicity
4: Release game to profit!

*the above may or may not be true. if it doesn't get released, sucks to be you. if it does, go me!*

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Kasurami said:

WHAT?!

I was all psyched up to buy a Wii and everything D:
Likewise! This is pretty much the only title that could have convinced me to get a Wii.

hansari

May 31, 2009
tomtom94 said:
A cunning plan.

1: Build up anticipation
2: Deny release
3: Cause outcry and publicity
4: Release game to profit!

*the above may or may not be true. if it doesn't get released, sucks to be you. if it does, go me!*
You could also factor in how the developer said he'd probably retire if it didn't sell well... stir up fanboy devotion in pre-orders!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
If this is just for Wii (not specified in the article, thanks) then I wouldn't be able to play it anyway. But a shame none the less.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Arg!

At least tell us why it takes 5 MONTHS TO RELEASE A GAME IN THE WEST AFTER IT COMES OUT IN JAPAN!

It doesn't take that long to translate.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
vansau said:

Nintendo has "no plans at present" to release the highly-anticipated JRPG outside of Japan.

These days, it's pretty rare for for a big-name JRPG to not get released out here in the West, especially when they're highly anticipated and being put out by one of the bigger publishing groups. However, this is the case of Mistwalker's The Last Story, which is currently only planned to be released in Japan.

The long-awaited RPG is being developed by Hironobu Sakaguchi (the man who created Final Fantasy, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey) and will be published by Nintendo. According to previews, it even has more crossover appeal than many JRPGs because it features a real-time combat system instead of traditional turn-based fighting.

Despite this potential, when a publisher representative was asked about releasing the game to Western territories, VG247 received the following response: "We have no plans at present".

It's more than a little surprising that Nintendo would want to keep the game only in Japan, but at least this isn't a final edict stating that it'll never come out in places like North America and Europe. Hopefully, if the game is well-received enough and enough demand is voiced by the general public, maybe the publisher will change its mind.

Source: Geek

Was going to rant about how this is unnamed drone touting the company line (NOE said the exact same thing about a DS redesign 24 hours before the Lite was announced), that they wouldn't reveal the release time of a highly anticipated game through an email from VG247 and how this is no better than a rumour but fuck it I shouldn't have to do the contributors job's for them.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
its nintedo so i couldn't play it even if it was good i never bought any of there consoles or handhelds

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
In other news, governments have decided that only Cuba shall receive the right to breathe oxygen, while all the blood currently in use by non-antarcticans will be repossessed and shot into space.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
natster43 said:
That is really lame. I was excited for this.
This means quite literally fuck all as VG247 sent an email asking if it was coming out and got the standard company response. Nintendo would send out a press release if/when they decide to announce it's localisation not through an email sent by a website like VG247. I'm rather ashamed that the escapist wouldn't even bother to fact check or at the least slap a gigantic RUMOUR into the article title since that is all it is

See my mini rant a few posts up.