The Late Shamus Young

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wasn't quite sure where I should post this so I guess it'll be here.

Shamus Young as sadly passed away, you can get the detail from this blog post (https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=54513).

He contributed to both the original escapist and the new version toward the beginning. He also wrote a literally novel length analysis of mass effect franchise that I imagine many read at some point.

Reactions: Dalisclock

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Saw that earlier on The Escapist Twitter

Damn shame. I remember reading his articles here (I never really got into his videos but I've been told they're also very good). He was also relatively young (50 years old) with three kids IIRC. It sounds like he'd had health issues for the past few months :(

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Wow, that was sudden. Last he posted was that he was feeling better from the dialysis. Shocking! I'll really miss reading his blog, it was one of very few sites that I check daily.

Moral of the story is if you have high blood pressure get it sorted out immediately! It will kill you. Don't wait around for months hoping it will go away. Also, eat healthy and get plenty of exercise. And live in a country with universal healthcare.

Edit: I'm also going to miss his comment section. The community he gathered was one of the more polite and informative I've seen, and his moderation and no R&P rules kept it that way. Often reading the comments would be as interesting as the article. All that is going to disperse now, and that sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan and Hawki

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Hope this doesn't come across lazy and insensitive, but I'll quote myself from the gaming news thread
That's very sad news. My deepest sympathies to his family. I wish them peace and courage at this this of sorrow.

Always enjoyed his takes, they were insightful and fun to read/watch. Would've liked to reread Stolen Pixels, but can't seem to find it anywhere. DM of the Rings is still up on TwentySided tho.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It was sad to read that. I knew he was having health issues but I figured there would be more warning if he were going into decline, rather then a "RIP Shamus" update.

Condolences to his friends and loved ones and of course his amusing over analyzing the fuck out of games will be missed.