The League of Legends World Championship Grand Final Was Incredibly Epic

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The League of Legends World Championship Grand Final Was Incredibly Epic

Travel accommodations to South Korea for the World Championship Grand Final were paid for by Riot Games.[/I]

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
You know, for just winning that incredible amount of money and a huge event like that, would it really hurt for at least one of them to crack a smile?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dark Knifer said:
You know, for just winning that incredible amount of money and a huge event like that, would it really hurt for at least one of them to crack a smile?
IIRC the cup was incredibly heavy (it weighs something ridiculous like 70 KGS) so most of them were struggling just to hold the damn thing up. Lol

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Dark Knifer said:
IIRC the cup was incredibly heavy (it weighs something ridiculous like 70 KGS) so most of them were struggling just to hold the damn thing up. Lol
Damn that's heavier then me. By quite a bit.

Wonder what they made it out of.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Epic isn't really the word I would use. Literally nobody actually thought Royal Club stood a chance. The only upset is that most people expected a 3-0 stomp, though I actually bet RP that it would be 3-1. So I guess I got some RP coming my way soon enough.

I will say that the S5 preseason changes do look interesting though. Four elixers, jungle is actually hard again so you can't just take anyone there and survive, neutral creeps patrolling river, and so on.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Personally I dislike the whole tournament structure, where the games are sooo spaced out over weeks and weeks of "nothing".
When I have a tournament, where they play Friday, Saturday and (Big Final)Sunday, I get more and more pumped by the games and it gets more exciting. Here it was more "oh yeah, there are some games in 5 days..." I couldn't connect myself to that!
That SGW was a favorite by such a big margin, that the only way to see them lose was: "They would have to have a really bad day and SHRC a brilliant day!" didn't help.
My 2 cent!

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
The match that SHRC won was just epic. I figured that SSW would slingshot back and kick their asses again, but it was nice to see them bite back a bit. I like cheering on the underdog.

At least they managed to deny them the record for fastest average win.

Oh, and the Imagine Dragons performance was pretty neat.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Mahorfeus said:
The match that SHRC won was just epic.
Picking a Fizz against the tanky CC team wasn't epic, it was stupid, or they were just too confident for their own good.

I hope we get a Maokai skin next summer though, I want a tree with sunglasses and a headset.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Imre Csete said:
Mahorfeus said:
The match that SHRC won was just epic.
Picking a Fizz against the tanky CC team wasn't epic, it was stupid, or they were just too confident for their own good.
I'm more inclined to believe the latter, considering their reputation. But bad picks aside, they did manage to outplay them that match.

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
The show was great, the games were pretty meh. And the schedule is just awful. Dota 2 may be behind in show/viewership, but schedule and tournament system (except TI4) is way better than League. And in term of game quality - nothing in the near future will surpass TI3.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Epic? really? Watching as SSW stomped trough the tournament? After OGN was over everyone knew the outcome.

Would have hoped to see a western team on the top 4 but can't beat the KOR/CHI combo. Was sad to see that SKT T1 didn't make it to worlds, but even that didn't bother me too much since Piglet doesn't play anymore.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
I found the finals incredibly boring to watch, pretty much out of the 4 games played 3 were complete pub-stomps and the other one had some decent back and forth. It really is like the winner gets decided after 1 team fight.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
Geisterkarle said:
Personally I dislike the whole tournament structure, where the games are sooo spaced out over weeks and weeks of "nothing".
When I have a tournament, where they play Friday, Saturday and (Big Final)Sunday, I get more and more pumped by the games and it gets more exciting. Here it was more "oh yeah, there are some games in 5 days..." I couldn't connect myself to that!
I agree. This isn't a real sport physical sport so I can't see a reason to have so much time between games. They don't need time for their legs to rest or injuries to heal. Maybe a day or two max, but 5 days is ridiculous.

OT: So the Korean team won. I'm shocked. Shocked.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Fell asleep during the second game but I did watch the vods and game 3 was pretty interesting and Imagine Dragons were great so all in all not awful but only slightly more entertaining than last years SKT stomp

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Yeah... I'm going to agree with the other's and say "epic" doesn't quite describe the games played, though I suppose it works for the rest of the event. And that last game... They let Dandy have Rengar and picked Lulu mid... *headdesk*

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I think the matches were actually quite close, but SSW's play style masked it. The high aggression pick and skirmish comps they use fall off really hard late and are terrible at 20+ mins without a huge lead. They had to win as fast as they did, or else they would have just fallen apart. SHRC took advantage of this game 3, and could have won 4 were it not for the terrible gank bot and the dragon fight where InSec started his ult right next to Janna.

I think that the main problem for SHRC is that they rely on InSec's ability to get picks in order to stall out the game, as their solos are terrible at pick-focused champs. Since InSec was forced onto KhaZix for two games (who has no hard cc and has horibble burst compared to Rengar or Lee Sin), he could not perform that job. They should have put InSec on Eammus or Panth earlier, instead of waiting until game point.

Still, it was great to watch SSW push their strategy to the edge. If there isn't a SSW Rengar skin soon, I am going to be very surprised.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Revnak said:
I think the matches were actually quite close, but SSW's play style masked it. The high aggression pick and skirmish comps they use fall off really hard late and are terrible at 20+ mins without a huge lead. They had to win as fast as they did, or else they would have just fallen apart. SHRC took advantage of this game 3, and could have won 4 were it not for the terrible gank bot and the dragon fight where InSec started his ult right next to Janna.

I think that the main problem for SHRC is that they rely on InSec's ability to get picks in order to stall out the game, as their solos are terrible at pick-focused champs. Since InSec was forced onto KhaZix for two games (who has no hard cc and has horibble burst compared to Rengar or Lee Sin), he could not perform that job. They should have put InSec on Eammus or Panth earlier, instead of waiting until game point.

Still, it was great to watch SSW push their strategy to the edge. If there isn't a SSW Rengar skin soon, I am going to be very surprised.
I think SHRC's problem is that they have two amazing players (InSec and Uzi) and then three mediocre ones (Corn, Zero and Cola). Corn and Cola in particular are very underwhelming members for a Grand Final team...

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Revnak said:

I think SHRC's problem is that they have two amazing players (InSec and Uzi) and then three mediocre ones (Corn, Zero and Cola). Corn and Cola in particular are very underwhelming members for a Grand Final team...
Corn is pretty excellent in team fights actually. He just couldn't keep up with his competition anywhere else. Cola just seems like a toplaner without an identity, or at least not one strong enough to make a difference on the World's stage.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Epic isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe it. I might mainly be a Dota 2 player, but I can recognise stomps when I see them. Those games were even more one-sided than the International 4 finals.