The Legend of Conan Will Be "Brutal" Says Producer

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
Which basically is shoe-horning in arnie for the sake of arnie. If 80% of your story is taken up by the character remembering a more interesting story...you've made a mess of things.
It is possible to do an older Conan; heck, he becomes king of a nation and when he reaches his sixties he abdicates the throne to his son and sails into the West with volunteers in order to find America. You can do Conan with Arnie, but you just can't do 1982 Conan again.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
infohippie said:
I feel much the same. 2011's Conan was a lot of fun, full of blood and swords, old gods, evil sorceresses, some humour. Mamoa's Conan was definitely much closer to the Conan of the books than Arnie's ever was. I don't know what people were expecting.
Well, at least for me I love the original Conan mostly for the sheer cheese factor, and that's what Arnie offered. The feeling I got from the trailer was anything but the feeling the original movie gave me. Gone was the low-poly grossness, embodied well in Conan himself; what made Arnie as Conan so awesome to me is that the movie never really showed him off as such.

Conan wasn't cool, Conan was brutal, a crude and quiet man. But the 2011 version is all swanky fighting moves, CGI enemies and slow motion look-at-how-cool-this-is-ness. And that ain't what I love in Conan the Barbarian, I love it for its crudeness. The whole movie felt like that, it all felt decaying and crude yet hedonistic.

Or to put it visually, it's the difference between this:

and this:

To put it audibly, the difference between this:

and this:

It might be a subtle thing in the music perhaps, but in a way I do believe that there's something there. I think it's the spirit of the times, I'm not sure you could even make a Conan movie these days that could recapture that feeling we had in the old one.

Then again, Mad Max: Fury Road came along and look at how well that did. But that had the original visionary behind the wheel (hah).