The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D Review - Must Have

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D Review - Must Have

When a classic, beloved game returns, what should we expect from it?

Read Full Article

JonB

Sep 16, 2012
I'm really interested in what others think of this, especially if you've never played it before. Chime in as you buy and start, please!

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Glad to hear this still holds up. It's always been my favoured of the 2 N64 Zelda games, mainly for the darker atmosphere. I've got my copy of the Collector's Edition pre-ordered for when it arrives next week :D Can't wait to play it again!

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I'm very glad to see that one of my favorite games of all time is getting such high scores for its re-release! The way I'm seeing it, this is more of a second chance for people to experience Majora's Mask than anything else, as I distinctly remember people weren't too fond of the game some 15 years ago when it released the first time.

I hope to be picking up the re-release here pretty soon for myself, even if I have the game memorized forward and back. I can play Majora's Mask a hundred times and never tire of it. It truly is a Zelda game in a league all its own.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
So... How do the 3DS graphics hold up against the Gamecube version of Majora? Because those screenshots you have there look a tad more pixelated than I remember MM being...

JonB

Sep 16, 2012
The_Darkness said:
So... How do the 3DS graphics hold up against the Gamecube version of Majora? Because those screenshots you have there look a tad more pixelated than I remember MM being...
I didn't notice it at all, but I guess they look a little pixelated.

Z of the Na said:
I'm very glad to see that one of my favorite games of all time is getting such high scores for its re-release! The way I'm seeing it, this is more of a second chance for people to experience Majora's Mask than anything else, as I distinctly remember people weren't too fond of the game some 15 years ago when it released the first time.

I hope to be picking up the re-release here pretty soon for myself, even if I have the game memorized forward and back. I can play Majora's Mask a hundred times and never tire of it. It truly is a Zelda game in a league all its own.
You're in for a huge treat if you're a MM veteran! It's an improvement all around. A bit of a "Director's Cut" if you will.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Never played MM through before; I started, but gave up after the first dungeon because the time limit thing put me off. I was silly and unappreciative.

Can't wait for this re-release; almost the whole game will be new to me, and it looks like I'll love it to bits.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
The_Darkness said:
My personal opinion is it's still no contest. The new 3DS graphics leave the original N64/Gamecube/Virtual Console version way behind.

The thing with 3DS games is they don't do screenshots very well. EVERY 3DS game looks pixelated in screenshots. But the game looks and plays JUST fine in motion and the 3D effect is definitely worth experiencing.

Captcha: Two cents worth. Heh.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Silvanus said:
Never played MM through before; I started, but gave up after the first dungeon because the time limit thing put me off. I was silly and unappreciative.

Can't wait for this re-release; almost the whole game will be new to me, and it looks like I'll love it to bits.
If you play the Song of Time backwards you give yourself twice as much time to do things. The time limit isn't really an issue; just don't enter a dungeon on the 3rd day. Save, reset time, warp back to dungeon. Then you have all 3 days to do it.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Can't wait! I'm waiting for it and the new 3ds to be delivered, I probably won't appritiate all the little improvments because I barely noticed the problems in the first :p

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The_Darkness said:
This is because they aren't displaying at the 3DS' native resolution. The system runs at 400x240 (800x240 in 3D), and looks MUCH better at native resolution than upscaled slightly.

P.S. Thanks

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I played the original partially through a couple of side quests and part of the way through the first dungeon. I am glad that the song of soaring is given earlier in the game than on the way to the first temple - Even for a N64 game the world of Termina is BIG and crossing it takes time.

I wonder if they've put one of the owl statues in Romani Ranch this time around...

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Hmmmm, Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time, I replay it every couple of years... but I don't own a 3DS and am not planning to. Bummer. Maybe someday.

I'm glad to hear about the improvements, especially to the Bomber's Notebook. I never had any problems with it but it will be helpful to newcomers. I'm interested to find out what the changes to the boss fights are. I always thought most of them could use some improvements, but I hope they haven't changed Goht - that one was perfect just the way it was.

Also, I don't think it's accurate to call the time limit "artificial difficulty" because it's one of the core mechanics of the game. That's like calling the descending aliens in Space Invaders artificial difficulty.

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
truckspond said:
I played the original partially through a couple of side quests and part of the way through the first dungeon. I am glad that the song of soaring is given earlier in the game than on the way to the first temple - Even for a N64 game the world of Termina is BIG and crossing it takes time.

I wonder if they've put one of the owl statues in Romani Ranch this time around...
I doubt it If I recall the boulder disappears on its own on day 3 so if they had an owl statue any closer you would be able to avoid Getting the biggoron powder keg Quest altogether

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Will do, when I pick it up on the 13th. I'm one of those odd people whose first Zelda was the Oracle games, before moving onto Wind Waker as my first 3D title in the series. So, I've never had as much reverence or nostalgia for Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time. I'm happy to be replaying it, though.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Ocelano said:
truckspond said:

I doubt it If I recall the boulder disappears on its own on day 3 so if they had an owl statue any closer you would be able to avoid Getting the biggoron powder keg Quest altogether
Oh, so there's a quest to let you use those powder kegs! That explains that...

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
truckspond said:
Ocelano said:
truckspond said:

Oh, so there's a quest to let you use those powder kegs! That explains that...
Kind of You couldn't buy them until you got Certified by the big guy he made you manually carry a keg accross 2 whole screens before it blew and use it to take out a big rock after that you were free to buy them from the dude in the city which was how you got into the ranch before everything went to crap there.

I think the whole thing was to make sure you didn't get there before you got that far because once you had epona nothing stopped you going straight for the water temple

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Water temple oh how I hate you I bloody hate you.

Not the one in OoT I love that one shockingly.

I had to do the entire water temple plus fairies 5 times in 1 day because my N64 controller was fucking up somthing with rumble that made controller freeze and not respond no matter what I did.

I forever hate you water temple of majoras mask

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The_Darkness said:
They are, but I'd say that has more to do with the physical size of the 3DS and it's screen than the game, these shots are larger than actual size (since actual size is 400x240).

Still it's good to see yet another generation introduced to the nightmare inducing world of Termina and it's permanent repeating apocalypse. Just remember that every mask you wear is somebody's dead soul held captive...

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
I was one of those many people whom after about six hours of trying to play this game chucked the controller across the room and promptly got on my bicycle and returned it to Blockbuster. this is the only Zelda I had true Negative feelings for... I am still not sure if I should give it a second chance.