Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Review

Return to 3D Hyrule.

Read Full Article

Black Watch

Aug 9, 2010
Normally, when it comes to the Ocarina of Time, I would think that a game review wouldn't be necessary, but now I think of those poor kids that were born after the game came out...

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Sounds fair, but I can't help but wondering how you're holding your 3DS if you find pressing the L button to be such a huge pain. That part of the review is really, really weird.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
...Oh and it was saria song.

Spoiler man strike again!

(I was joking, please see my agent for all of my posts)

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
The Z-targeting system with the original was a breakthrough using Nintendo 64 controller's trigger button to lock onto a target, but trying to defeat monsters and especially bosses using the shoulder button of the 3DS is not fun for anyone who isn't double-jointed.
I actually have double-jointed thumbs (annoying in most cases as I can't hold a pen in the normal way), so this is a plus, if you were being serious?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
JoJoDeathunter said:
The Z-targeting system with the original was a breakthrough using Nintendo 64 controller's trigger button to lock onto a target, but trying to defeat monsters and especially bosses using the shoulder button of the 3DS is not fun for anyone who isn't double-jointed.
I actually have double-jointed thumbs (annoying in most cases as I can't hold a pen in the normal way), so this is a plus, if you were being serious?
See, the way I (and I thought everyone else) hold it, you would have your thumb on the circle pad and hit L with your left index finger. I can't see why a double jointed thumb would help push L when your thumb shouldn't be going anywhere near L.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
mjc0961 said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
See, the way I (and I thought everyone else) hold it, you would have your thumb on the circle pad and hit L with your left index finger. I can't see why a double jointed thumb would help push L when your thumb shouldn't be going anywhere near L.
The thumb itself wouldn't push L but the extra-bending ability of the thumb could mean that it would be easily to simutaleously control the pad and press L with the index finger. At-least that's I what I assume they meant, this is all conjecture as I don't actually own a 3DS yet and the traditional DS lacks the circle pad to test my theory on.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and just plug in my 64 and save me some cash. Nothing in the 3DS launch has convinced me I must own it. Plus, there's always my crap eyesight which may or may not work with 3D... who knows, I don't.

Besides, I think Majora's Mask is a superior game to Ocarina of Time. If that had been a lineup game I might have given it a second thought.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
Some of my fondest memories come from playing ocarina of time but playing it 8 1/2 times is enough for me. I still might consider buying it but only after I buy a 3DS which at this point doesn't seem worth it by a longshot (no pun intended). Thanks for all the points in the review.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Sounds fair, but I can't help but wondering how you're holding your 3DS if you find pressing the L button to be such a huge pain. That part of the review is really, really weird.
Did they add a big metal spike to the L button on the 3DS' design or something? Because I thought it was pretty much the exact same as the DSi line and that's just fine.

Jaser

Mar 30, 2010
JoJoDeathunter said:
mjc0961 said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
The thumb itself wouldn't push L but the extra-bending ability of the thumb could mean that it would be easily to simutaleously control the pad and press L with the index finger. At-least that's I what I assume they meant, this is all conjecture as I don't actually own a 3DS yet and the traditional DS lacks the circle pad to test my theory on.

That's hitchhiker's thumb, and I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant, as I have the same thumb. I think what he meant was a thumb that could bend from the first joint (knuckle, or whatever it's called) a bit further so it wouldn't be awkward to move all around and always have your finger ready on the l-button (or maybe you hold it, haven't played OoT in a long time).

OT: It's Ocarina of Time on a handheld. That's about it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
this is one of the reasons I got a 3ds at launch so woo

Dr.Cereal1

Mar 30, 2011
You forgot that the reason that people want this on a handheld is because they can play it anywhere, so yes, they would rather have this than the n64 version if they are going on a plane or a bus trip and want to play a fun game.

JBGigas

Dec 19, 2009
Andothul said:
Every gamer over the age of 18 i think remember the godliness that was Ocarina of Time
I'm 18, and I have never ever played OoT.
Luckily i'm getting my copy on the 27th day (My birthday :3)

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
JBGigas said:
Andothul said:
Every gamer over the age of 18 i think remember the godliness that was Ocarina of Time
I'm 18, and I have never ever played OoT.
Luckily i'm getting my copy on the 27th day (My birthday :3)
Don't feel bad, I'm way over 18 and I've never finished it. I even bought it for the virtual console and couldn't bring myself to play past the bit with the goros. (And this is from someone who has played through Twilight Princess 3 times.)

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
Master Quest actually revamped all of the dungeons in a "We're kicking you in the balls with steel toed boots" kind of way with Game Cube version, I can't imagine that not being the case in the 3DS version. Just reversing the old dungeons doesn't even make the puzzles more difficult, just slightly disorienting until you're used to it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
JoJoDeathunter said:
The circle pad on the 3DS is in the same place as the d-pad on a DSi or DS Lite. If you have no problem with those, there should be no problem with a 3DS either.

Jumwa said:
Did they add a big metal spike to the L button on the 3DS' design or something? Because I thought it was pretty much the exact same as the DSi line and that's just fine.
Nope. This is my confusion. I know that holding down a button for a while can hurt your finger, that part makes sense. The part about having to move your hand in ways previously not thought possible is what's confusing as all hell for me. Unless I'm misunderstanding something about how this game is going to work, it's easy.