The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Remake Headed to Wii U

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Remake Headed to Wii U

All-new Zelda adventure also in the works.

As we approach the 10-year anniversary of the U.S. release of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, you may be flush with nostalgia. Nintendo is, too, and it's going to prove it by re-releasing Wind Waker this coming Fall for its new Wii U console. But we're not just talking about some blurry, 480p experience like you've played before. No, Nintendo has remade the entire game to be fit for today's HD sets, complete with updated textures and character models.

Nintendo revealed the news in a Nintendo Direct live video stream earlier today, and offered the remake as a bit of a consolation gift after admitting that the next truly original Zelda title is still quite far away. No exact date, name, or real details regarding the new adventure were offered, simply that it exists, and it's going to be a while before we see it.

The Wind Waker was met with nearly universal acclaim upon release, and it's still regarded as one of the finer Zelda titles ever released. An HD remake is intriguing, and the promised bonus feature of being able to play the game using just the Wii U gamepad is likely enough to make Zelda diehards squeal with delight.

Of course, it would have been nice to see at least a glimpse of the all-new title being worked on, but at this point - and with the Wii U's limited library - we'll take what we can get.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Ive been looking to get Windwaker for a very long time, this might finely be my chance! Though I do wonder what they mean by remake? its not some 3d rehash of the same thing like they did with OoT or Starfox 64 on the 3ds

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
*girly squeal*
Um...ignore that...
Oh this makes me extremely happy. I freaking loved Wind Waker. Of course though now I need to get a Wii U. Typical that I just get myself a new Wii and now I have a reason to get the Wii U.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Man, I never got a chance to play Wind Waker, maybe I can now. Good show Nintendo. There is now a good handful of Wii U games I want now. Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3 and whatever that JRPG was at the end of Nintendo Direct.

Sure that's like 5, but it's cool. I'm not gonna buy it just yet since none of those games are actually out and by that point Nintendo should (better have) announced more games for the damn thing.

Calumon: They look like they're made of clay. :S

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Of all the news that was announced, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.399191-So-Nintendo-Direct-announced-some-stuff] this is definitely the one I'm most looking forward to.

I loved Wind Waker a massive amount, and when my disc finally gave up on me, I was heartbroken. And by that time, buying another copy was ridiculously expensive.

So I've very glad to hear this news (hell, I would've been happy with the original just being downloadable in some form)!

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
A few hours ago I was talking to my coworkers how Nintendo really need to up their game in order for me to buy a Wii U, Then They announce Wind Waker HD remake and a new Xeno(blade/gear/saga)...

Damn you Nintendo!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
funksobeefy said:
Ive been looking to get Windwaker for a very long time, this might finely be my chance! Though I do wonder what they mean by remake? its not some 3d rehash of the same thing like they did with OoT or Starfox 64 on the 3ds
It's a remake, as in fully rematsered, look on youtube for the nintendo direct clip for comparison it's staggeringly good looking. If you haven't played wind waker, wait for this remake, though i couldn't fault you for picking up a gamecube copy anyway. Wind Waker is an exquisite game, my favourite Zelda bar Minish Cap.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
oh fuck Wind Waker still looks beautiful on GameCube I can't begin to imagine how it'll look in full HD resolution :D
I really can't wait for this now, I need it NOW!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Ruairi iliffe said:
A few hours ago I was talking to my coworkers how Nintendo really need to up their game in order for me to buy a Wii U, Then They announce Wind Waker HD remake and a new Xeno(blade/gear/saga)...

Damn you Nintendo!
new 3d mario, new zelda, pikmin 3, wind waker hd, mario bros u, zombiu, Xenoblade follow up, the next smash bros is gonna be on sh ow at E3...

Yeah, I need one of these things, good going Nintendo... now just continue to support it for longer than 3 years > >

Oh and a new DK game, make it so Retro.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
Do not make the same mistake you made with OoT 3DS Nintendo! Redo the score! I'm talking proper orchestra tracks!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ah fuck me!

This is seriously going to make me consider buying a WiiU just for this HD remake alone. And here I was pretty content in not wanting to touch the WiiU with a ten-foot pole. Goddammit!

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
Best game in the series imo. But it seems Nintendo finally caved in and starts doing remakes of the Zelda games. With OoT 3DS and the rumored Marjora's Mask remake and now this, it seems they finally decided they wanted to make more money. still, even if that is true, they at least put a lot effort in it.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I was saving money for a 3DS, and now this happens. Why must you make me choose Nintendo!

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
SkarKrow said:
Ruairi iliffe said:

Damn you Nintendo!
new 3d mario, new zelda, pikmin 3, wind waker hd, mario bros u, zombiu, Xenoblade follow up, the next smash bros is gonna be on sh ow at E3...
Not a mention of the Shin Megami Tensei/Fire Emblem crossover? For shame sir!

OT: Well, I already have the GameCube version (along with Master Quest) So I will give this a miss, Wind Waker still looks gorgeous even to this day!

Although you (Skar Krow) did mention a comparison, care to share bud?
Actually can help with that, There is a Vid in the Kotaku article, The New engine stuff is only statics, but It looks like a new engine or its been heavy modified with the Soft lighting effects and the new shaders.

http://kotaku.com/5978276/nintendo-is-remaking-the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-for-wii-u

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Wind Waker was one of the few titles that did not need a remake. It still looks amazing graphically and PC mods have had it running in HD for a while now iirc.

They should have gone with something like Majoras Mask or Link to the Past, something that could actually benefit and have significant change in a remake.

Well actually none of them need remakes, I'd rather see a new IP or new game in the series than retreading into nostalgia again.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
SkarKrow said:
Ruairi iliffe said:

Damn you Nintendo!

OT: Well, I already have the GameCube version (along with Master Quest) So I will give this a miss, Wind Waker still looks gorgeous even to this day!

Feast your eyes on that bad boy! There's talks about enhancements to the gameplay too, and it will be playable on the gamepaad and have the miiverse integrated, it looks stunning, and even though there's a copy of the original here somewhere, this really does catch my interest.

I do need to hunt down a copy for my gamecube colleciton though, along with the master quest promo disc and such.

Shin Megami Tensei doesn't interest me, and Fire Emblem I've played once and I couldn't get into it at all, though I was aware of those things. For me the big stuff was:

New Zelda in the works
New 3D Mario in the works
Wind Waker HD remake
Smash Bros U/3DS will be at E3
Yoshi's Epic Yarn
Xenoblade Chronicles follow up
Mario Kart U

Basically, Nintendo went and dropped a bunch of stuff that could very well upset Sony & Microsofts E3 showing this year, new hardware, great, but does it have a brand new 3D Mario game? No? To the door with thee!.

Seems to me Nintendo is hitting the ground running on the Wii U and it's gonna be a big contender next holiday period, especially if some of the above get a launch around then and maybe the system gets some nice bundles and a price drop dependant on the other systems prices.

The prospect of whatever Retro is working on entices me too since they've proven themselves with DKC Returns and Metroid Prime Trilogy. I'm also excited for the inevitable Sonic game on the Wii U being the whore for the blue blur that I am.

I'm all giddy and excited :p

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Ruairi iliffe said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
SkarKrow said:
Ruairi iliffe said:

Damn you Nintendo!

Actually can help with that, There is a Vid in the Kotaku article, The New engine stuff is only statics, but It looks like a new engine or its been heavy modified with the Soft lighting effects and the new shaders.

http://kotaku.com/5978276/nintendo-is-remaking-the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-for-wii-u
I gots the youtube embed already but you did ninja me on this one.

It does lookf ab even though it's only stills, I can't wait to see it in motion.