The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Remake Headed to Wii U

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I was never a really a big fan of Wind Waker. Why? Because when I was a kid, the sea sections SCARED THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF ME!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
An HD remake with actual effort put into it? More than a quick port with a higher resolution and redrawn UI? Count me in. To all other companies: THIS IS HOW YOU DO AN HD REMAKE.

As great looking as the flat art was in the GC game, I'm glad they're giving it a bit more depth and softer lighting. That game always gave me issues since the graphics, beautiful though they were, actively interfered with depth perception. Softer lighting and more detailed textures will go a long way in that regard.

P.S. Thanks

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Rossco64 said:
Do not make the same mistake you made with OoT 3DS Nintendo! Redo the score! I'm talking proper orchestra tracks!
The scores for both were, and still are, amazing. I think replacing them with full orchestral tracks would actually hurt the experience. Plus I also believe WW already has a full orchestral soundtrack.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
SkarKrow said:
That looks absolutly beatiful. I usually tend to be mehish about rereleases of older games from nintendo, but considering how charming it looks and how fun the older WW was, I'll probably find myself picking this one up once it hits the shelves.

The only thing that worries me slightly is how they're supposedly rethinking the conventins of newer Zelda games, in that it's normally a single player game. While I wouldn't mind there being a multiplayer, it bugs me that they might base a whole game around the idea. I suppose that as long the single player is still playable, it's okay, but still...

Also

I'm also excited for the inevitable Sonic game on the Wii U being the whore for the blue blur that I am.
It's always refreshing to hear that I'm not the only one. c:

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
Rossco64 said:
Do not make the same mistake you made with OoT 3DS Nintendo! Redo the score! I'm talking proper orchestra tracks!
The scores for both were, and still are, amazing. I think replacing them with full orchestral tracks would actually hurt the experience. Plus I also believe WW already has a full orchestral soundtrack.
given the importance of the music to the whole experience of oot, changing such a thing sounds like a huge risk to me.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
SilverBullets000 said:
SkarKrow said:
That looks absolutly beatiful. I usually tend to be mehish about rereleases of older games from nintendo, but considering how charming it looks and how fun the older WW was, I'll probably find myself picking this one up once it hits the shelves.

The only thing that worries me slightly is how they're supposedly rethinking the conventins of newer Zelda games, in that it's normally a single player game. While I wouldn't mind there being a multiplayer, it bugs me that they might base a whole game around the idea. I suppose that as long the single player is still playable, it's okay, but still...

Also

I'm also excited for the inevitable Sonic game on the Wii U being the whore for the blue blur that I am.
It's always refreshing to hear that I'm not the only one. c:
I wasn't gonna bother if it was like the HD collections rampant on the PS3 and Xbox 360 where it really just outputs the same game upscaled, but just by looking at it, my god, the colours just pop and it looks so exquisite that I just want to throw money at it. The Wii U's graphics are very pretty so far from what I've seen, a good example being Pikmin 3, which is also absolutely beautiful. This being the start of it's life cycle I expect to to see some very nice stuff on it as it ages.

Yeah it said playing a lone, not playing single player, so I'm thinking it means Miiverse integration in some way, or maybe something like Dark/DEmons Souls where people can leave hints scrawled on the floor and such. If it is multiplayer I want something like 4 swords adventure without the GBA bullshit...

Also, yes! Sonic! I want it, I want 1080p 60fps Sonic on a console. A fresh and creative one like Colours, and less 2D this time!

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
You can't see me but I'm kicking myself in the butt for losing my Wind Waker copy that I never got to play. Yes, I am doing that.

Still, I'm not getting a WiiU just yet.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Considering my copy was stolen and I never got to finish the game, this is good news for me. Not quite enough for me to get a Wii U but it's another good point for the machine for me. Plus whenever I find the game second hand, people want a large amount of money, since I need the PAL version, it's slim pickings.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Awesome!

Still won't make me buy a Wii U though. There's still beauty enough in my Gamecube version.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
MikeWehner said:
An HD remake is intriguing, and the promised bonus feature of being able to play the game using just the Wii U gamepad is likely enough to make Zelda diehards squeal with delight.
I will state right here and now, THIS is huge incentive to pick one up. If there's news of say, Persona 5 ending up on the console as an exclusive or with extra features or something big like... I don't know, a 'true' successor to Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (I mean hell, I'll give Square a chance to redeem themselves, write off Ring of Fates to TCB as non-canon) that's basically an equivalent to Monster Hunter in being a small scale MMORPG.

But I have to wait to see what the news will be concerning the PS3 and 360's successor out of E3.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
If thats an actual game screen, I dontk now. I guess it may just be me being me because I enjoyed the windwaker's look, but seeing the new one just feels like it was robbed of something. I think part of its charm and one of the best attributes was the cell shading.

So id ontknow. I'm not buying a wii u, and im glad to play my windwaker GC copy on an old wii, but I just dont feel as excited seeing the way the game looks as I probably would.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOHMYGODIMSOEXCITEDAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And that's all I really have to say.

[small]aaaaaa[/small]

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Carrots_macduff said:
this is totally unnecessary if you ask me. wouldn't it be prudent to maintain the original look of one of the best looking gamecube games, especially considering how it stood out amonsgt all the other graphical masterpieces, like re4 and viewtiful joe?

its not like anyone feels the need to touch up the mona lisa every few years.
Actually, the Mona Lisa has been touched up several times.

And this is a beautiful game being made even beautifuller by Nintendo. I don't exactly see why it's such a bad thing. Nintendo have said this is to keep fans tided over until the new game comes out, and I can't think of a better way to go about that. Admit it, a better looking Wind Waker is hardly something to complain about.
ok, consider those last words eaten, but none the less wind waker is only 10 years old and still looks great. i played it on gamecube last year, and it definitely holds up if you ask me

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
I think that the new soft lightning looks fantastic. I've played the game when it was released on the GC and I've played it on my PC with Dolphin. This looks so much better than the emulated version. This really is a no contest.
I have to disagree. I think it looks much better in Dolphin than in the new screenshots and video. The redone graphics lose a lot of the cartoony charm of the original, and they scaled up incredibly well to HD resolutions (other than some of the 2D/UI stuff) because of how clean and simple they were. Wind Waker is still one of the most effective uses of cel shading after all this time because of the artistic and design choices they made, and they reversed some important ones of those in this new stuff, removing what made it stand out.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Have they added interesting discoveries to make the sailing worthwhile and made the hunt for the triforce pieces more enjoyable? Because if not, there's no reason to buy it again. I mean, the original's graphics have aged very well, so as nice as these new screenshots look, it's not that big a deal to me.

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
Woa, the HD version looks really good...tho the colours all seem a bit over-saturated. The lighting and shadow effects look great, and I just hope the crisper textures won't make that paper cut-out look go away. Reason to get a WiiU...maybe not, but good the game is old enough to warrant a re-release.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Honestly, the video does look good, but it seems like there's too much bloom going on. The screenshots make Link and Tetra look like wax figures. I have seen screenshots of Wind Waker hacked/emulated and they look a lot better than this graphic update. Someone above said this remake doesn't seem to have the charm of the original, and I would agree. If you have not played Wind Waker and can't find it, get this. But, unless it has some new content(cut Dungeons!), I'll just stick with the GC version with 480p.