The LEGO Batman Movie - Everything is Still Awesome

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Omey said:
Samtemdo8 said:
1. Mostly internet, but with people I am familiar with like my brother I talk like this to him to, and sometimes with my father. But I see where you are getting at, that me cussing would bother people. I apoligize, I was just venting my frustration that this movie gonna become another Zooptopia/My Little Pony/Overwatch situation where people are gonna just reference it to no end with the most annoying memes, and that this movie is being treated as the Second Coming of Christ.

2. I posted an edit explaining how I thought at a glance it looked like it was spelled correctly.

3. You make it out as if I think the entire Human Race has this stance, no I just think a sizable portion prefers this sort of movie from the amount of reviewers and comments I have seen.

4. My opinion, I think this movie looks utterly lame, its the same kind of regurgitated movie I have seen before in older kids movies like Shrek but with Merchandising.
1. I accept your apology
2. I accept your apology
3. You are the one who made the generalization, not me.
4. I do not agree with your opinion. Best of luck
3. Well let me correct my apperent generalization, From the amount of Internet Comments and Reviewers I have seen I think a sizable portion of people want more lightheartedness and irreverence.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
The Lone Wolf and Cub reference is just an example I could have mentioned something else more recent but Lone Wolf and Cub is all I have in my mind now because its awesome.

I could have mentioned Vagabond or Berserk.
Also series that are quite old by now.

And people can like both One Punch-Man and Berserk. Just as they can like both Zootopia and Drive, or Ratchet and Clank and The Witcher 3. Not every piece of media needs to be Hamlet.

And when something is at the height of its popularity people are gonna be talking about it. At the time people where talking about Twin Peaks and then later The Sopranos. Now they're talking about Stranger Things and Rick and Morty. And in 10 years those two shows won't be talked about as much.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:
The Lone Wolf and Cub reference is just an example I could have mentioned something else more recent but Lone Wolf and Cub is all I have in my mind now because its awesome.

I could have mentioned Vagabond or Berserk.
Also series that are quite old by now.

And people can like both One Punch-Man and Berserk. Just as they can like both Zootopia and Drive, or Ratchet and Clank and The Witcher 3. Not every piece of media needs to be Hamlet.

And when something is at the height of its popularity people are gonna be talking about it. At the time people where talking about Twin Peaks and then later The Sopranos. Now they're talking about Stranger Things and Rick and Morty. And in 10 years those two shows won't be talked about as much.
I just hope many people will talk about Samurai Jack Season 5 enthusiatically. I want the internet people like Nostalgia Critic talking about it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
I just hope many people will talk about Samurai Jack Season 5 enthusiatically. I want the internet people like Nostalgia Critic talking about it.
Yeah, but that's cartoony and colourful, too, so that's instantly lame, right?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Yeah, but that's cartoony and colourful, too, so that's instantly lame, right?
I think the more goofier episodes of Samurai Jack like Jack is Naked is lame.

And prefer the more awesome/badass episodes like Jack vs the 3 Blind Archers.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ignoring a certain disgrunted person aside, I quite suprised how good (Lego Movie is still better) it was despite how kid friendly it was.
No I wasn't expecting the usual dark and gritty Batman but the way of things, it was kid friendly (like those minor characters helping at the end or how that character pretty much scred her ideal and joined them)! It was kinda like Batman: The Brave And The Bold (such an underrated series) but Batman has some sass to himself!

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Of course you think its the best Batman movie in years.

Bu to me the trailers gave me everything I need to know that its the most saccharine piece of shit I have seen.

And its not alone, its on par with other shit like Zootopia, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Deadpool that this current movie going public care about:

"Retro, Self-Aware, Irrevenent, Humor, Colorful, don't take shit too seriously"

What utter lameness.
You haven't seen it so you can't judge it. I'm excited for all the in-jokes for us comic book fans.

Plus this movie just looks fun, unlike the rest of DC's recent film output.
I don't want fun, I want drama, I want stakes, I want to have care for the character, I want the character to bleed on the floor so that thier eventual triumph is all the more glorious and tear inducing.
You want all this... In a LEGO film?

I think you may be barking up the wrong tree here, just a slight hunch.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Caramel Frappe said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Bu to me the trailers gave me everything I need to know that its the most saccharine piece of shit I have seen.

And its not alone, its on par with other shit like Zootopia, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Deadpool that this current movie going public care about:

What utter lameness.
You haven't seen it so you can't judge it. I'm excited for all the in-jokes for us comic book fans.

I don't want fun, I want drama, I want stakes, I want to have care for the character, I want the character to bleed on the floor so that thier eventual triumph is all the more glorious and tear inducing.
I don't think you should expect that kind of drama when going into The LEGO Batman movie lmao. That'd be like me walking into Star Wars: Rogue One and going "Where's the sex, the decapitations, the f bombs?! Where is it?!" Now do know, I get where you're coming from. I would say Dark Knight and a select few other hero movies have exactly what you're looking for (if you haven't seen Daredevil the TV series, do see that. It's exactly what you want) but yeah, you're not going to find any of that stuff in this movie mate.

OT: Didn't expect the movie to be this great. Like I can see why people love LEGOs and all, and I loved the first LEGO's movie ... but to see another movie hit every nail in being awesome- actually makes me smile. I'm definitely seeing this, and i'm glad the movie has enough self awareness to not get too serious like the previous Batman movies.
Its not the fact that its Lego, its the fact that its Batman, I don't like Batman being treated as a joke anymore than he already is.

I mean people mocked him for f#$%ing Batgirl in the Animated Killing Joke and the whole Martha thing, but this Lego-fication of him just demeans him even more than the campy Adam West Batman..

I mean it'd be like if they made Lego Lord of the Rings the Movie, it be even more of a mockery to Tolkien's work than Peter Jackson's adaptions.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
I mean it'd be like if they made Lego Lord of the Rings the Movie, it be even more of a mockery to Tolkien's work than Peter Jackson's adaptions.
There's a LEGO Sauron in this movie. And they already made Lego LOTR games.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, this turned into a dumpster fire. 0_0

Well, anyway:

Samtemdo8 said:

While the trailers haven't appealed to me either, I think it's a bit much to say "I know it's bad" since it's been released.

Samtemdo8 said:

"Retro, Self-Aware, Irreverent, Humor, Colorful, don't take shit too seriously"
While I don't like Deadpool or Guardians either, only "humour" and "colourful" can be used to apply to Zootopia. And I'd hardly call the presence of either to be negative.

I'm not sure how much of that can be applied to Deadpool or Guardians either. I don't like Deadpool because its humour is juvenile (to me). I don't like Guardians because it's a bunch of cliches - cliched heroes fighting a cliched villain with a cliched plan, making for a cliched movie, that revels in its cliches rather than either subverting them, or providing enough meat to make me invested regardless.

Samtemdo8 said:
No I would have said the samething if was Zootopia (because the praise its getting is overshadowing the masterpieces of the Renissance and Golden and Silver Era of Disney Animation)
...the hell?

I've no idea what the Silver Era of Disney Animation is (the eras go Golden-Dark-Renaissance-Post-Renaissance-Revival, at least by the Disney wiki), but Zootopia overshadowing other Disney films...what?

Okay, the majority the films from the Golden era (Snow White to Jungle Book) can still be found on DVD readily. A number of these films have even been remade. I'd have an easier time arguing that these films overshadow later ones due to the reverence granted to them. The same can be applied for the Renaissance era, whose films can also be found readily, and who are also getting live action remakes.

So, you'll forgive me for thinking it quite logical that a film released in 2016 overshadows these films to any extent at all. And I'd personally put Zootopia over any previous DAC film I've seen, but that's just my opinion.

Samtemdo8 said:
4. Yes I think things like Zootopia and this Lego Batman movie to be utterly lame.
You've made it clear that you haven't seen the latter, I'm starting to doubt you've seen the former either.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:

What utter lameness.

I don't think you should expect that kind of drama when going into The LEGO Batman movie lmao. That'd be like me walking into Star Wars: Rogue One and going "Where's the sex, the decapitations, the f bombs?! Where is it?!" Now do know, I get where you're coming from. I would say Dark Knight and a select few other hero movies have exactly what you're looking for (if you haven't seen Daredevil the TV series, do see that. It's exactly what you want) but yeah, you're not going to find any of that stuff in this movie mate.

OT: Didn't expect the movie to be this great. Like I can see why people love LEGOs and all, and I loved the first LEGO's movie ... but to see another movie hit every nail in being awesome- actually makes me smile. I'm definitely seeing this, and i'm glad the movie has enough self awareness to not get too serious like the previous Batman movies.
Its not the fact that its Lego, its the fact that its Batman, I don't like Batman being treated as a joke anymore than he already is.

I mean people mocked him for f#$%ing Batgirl in the Animated Killing Joke and the whole Martha thing, but this Lego-fication of him just demeans him even more than the campy Adam West Batman..

I thought the original batman started off as campy fun, and the super grim version came from Alan Moore

And the public seems to have gotten sick of grim dark batman which is why they're liking the fun batman

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Caramel Frappe said:
I don't think you should expect that kind of drama when going into The LEGO Batman movie lmao. That'd be like me walking into Star Wars: Rogue One and going "Where's the sex, the decapitations, the f bombs?! Where is it?!"
Well, sex is in fanfiction. People ship Jyn and Cassian for some reason. 0_0

Samtemdo8 said:
...says the person who has Peter Jackson's Arragorn as an avatar?

Seriously Sam, I can relate to some of what you're saying (don't like Guardians or Deadpool, I prefer films like Dark Knight to Deadpool, Guardians, etc.), but this is coming off less as a a discussion and more as a "Lego Batman is bad, because I say it's bad, despite having only seen the trailers." Even I could scale back and say, at most, "the Lego Batman movie looks terrible." Key word on "looks."

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Well, this turned into a dumpster fire. 0_0

Well, anyway:

Samtemdo8 said:

While the trailers haven't appealed to me either, I think it's a bit much to say "I know it's bad" since it's been released.

Samtemdo8 said:

"Retro, Self-Aware, Irreverent, Humor, Colorful, don't take shit too seriously"
While I don't like Deadpool or Guardians either, only "humour" and "colourful" can be used to apply to Zootopia. And I'd hardly call the presence of either to be negative.

I'm not sure how much of that can be applied to Deadpool or Guardians either. I don't like Deadpool because its humour is juvenile (to me). I don't like Guardians because it's a bunch of cliches - cliched heroes fighting a cliched villain with a cliched plan, making for a cliched movie, that revels in its cliches rather than either subverting them, or providing enough meat to make me invested regardless.

Samtemdo8 said:
No I would have said the samething if was Zootopia (because the praise its getting is overshadowing the masterpieces of the Renissance and Golden and Silver Era of Disney Animation)
...the hell?

I've no idea what the Silver Era of Disney Animation is (the eras go Golden-Dark-Renaissance-Post-Renaissance-Revival, at least by the Disney wiki), but Zootopia overshadowing other Disney films...what?

Okay, the majority the films from the Golden era (Snow White to Jungle Book) can still be found on DVD readily. A number of these films have even been remade. I'd have an easier time arguing that these films overshadow later ones due to the reverence granted to them. The same can be applied for the Renaissance era, whose films can also be found readily, and who are also getting live action remakes.

So, you'll forgive me for thinking it quite logical that a film released in 2016 overshadows these films to any extent at all. And I'd personally put Zootopia over any previous DAC film I've seen, but that's just my opinion.

Samtemdo8 said:
4. Yes I think things like Zootopia and this Lego Batman movie to be utterly lame.
You've made it clear that you haven't seen the latter, I'm starting to doubt you've seen the former either.
Its called CinemaSins, the guy practically shows entire movies, or at the very least shows all the parts that matters.

I personally deem the Silver Age of Disney movies to be this:

From Cinderella to Sleeping Beauty was the Silver Age.

From Snow White to Bambi was the Golden Age.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Its called CinemaSins, the guy practically shows entire movies, or at the very least shows all the parts that matters.
CinemaSins finds fault with every movie that's ever existed, regardless of quality. His tagline is "no film is without sin," and the majority of "sins" are nitpicks. If you used CinemaSins as an indicator of a film's quality, then almost every film ever would be a piece of crap.

Seriously, if I said "x is bad," and people asked me why, and I said "because CinemaSins said so," I'd be laughed off the stage (or forums, or wherever I am).

So, I'm guessing that you haven't seen Zootopia or Lego Batman, so unless that changes, well, forgive me for not giving that opinion as much credence as I would for others that have seen it. Not that I'll probably see the latter anyway, but I can at least be honest about that.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Caramel Frappe said:
I don't think you should expect that kind of drama when going into The LEGO Batman movie lmao. That'd be like me walking into Star Wars: Rogue One and going "Where's the sex, the decapitations, the f bombs?! Where is it?!"
Well, sex is in fanfiction. People ship Jyn and Cassian for some reason. 0_0

Samtemdo8 said:
...says the person who has Peter Jackson's Arragorn as an avatar?

Seriously Sam, I can relate to some of what you're saying (don't like Guardians or Deadpool, I prefer films like Dark Knight to Deadpool, Guardians, etc.), but this is coming off less as a a discussion and more as a "Lego Batman is bad, because I say it's bad, despite having only seen the trailers." Even I could scale back and say, at most, "the Lego Batman movie looks terrible." Key word on "looks."
I like the Lord of the Rings movies (The Two Towers is my favorite)

But still acknowledge its heretical moments. The Whole Arwen dying plot, the portrayal of Frodo as this spinless weakling, Aragorn's portrayal (He was badass in the books eager to be King and had the Sword of Elendil already re-forged in the first book), Gimli downplayed to Comic Relief, and Denethor's charcater being the worse depsite the Extended Edition.

But even than a Lego-fication of Lord of the Rings into this irreverent and campy movie will be the biggest heresy to Tolkien's writiings of all time.

But no one will care because its just a Parody bro, just lighten up and have fun is what they will tell me.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Marik2 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:

What utter lameness.

I thought the original batman started off as campy fun, and the super grim version came from Alan Moore

And the public seems to have gotten sick of grim dark batman which is why they're liking the fun batman
Batman became the Dark Vigilante of the Night again after the Campy era of Adam West and before Alan Moore and Frank Miller ever made thier Batman comics.

It was in that era that they killed Jason Todd Robin where Joker beat him to death with a Crowbar.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Caramel Frappe said:
I think DC tried too hard making other movies like the Dark Knight, such as the previous Superman movie, and the latest Batman vs Superman movie. For one thing, Superman should not of had the dark themes Batman does- because Superman is usually portrayed as a positive, uplifting dude who's a big boy scout for America (and the world). It's okay to have serious themes, sad moments, and adult messages- but having it stay that way throughout the movie tires out people mentally. People like feeling happy, to laugh, to see nostalgic aspects of the heroes they grew up with so that's probably why this movie (the LEGO Batman movie) hit home with so many people overall. This isn't me saying you're wrong to want a mature movie with realism ... but I also would like to argue not every superhero movie needs that theme, or at least ... the only theme that takes up 90% of the film's running time.
The only superhero I can claim to have grown up with is Spider-Man (only because of the 90s animated series), but...yeah, I don't buy this.

I like Man of Steel. I don't think it's a "good" film per se, but it's still an enjoyable one. For me, its primary flaw is its pacing and editing, but as far as themes go, I don't buy that they should be off-limits to Superman. I can't even equate them to the Dark Knight Trilogy's themes, which I'd summize as:

Batman Begins: Fear. Batman overcoming his own fear, making criminals fear him, Scarecrow's gas, etc.

Dark Knight: An allusion to the War on Terror. Themes are Order vs. Chaos, Escalation, Security vs. Freedom, etc. It's easily the most thematically rich of the trilogy, and part of why I think it's the strongest.

Dark Knight Rises: This is a bit hard to say, because I've seen different views on this. My view that it's a right-wing film that has allusions to Occupy Wall Street, showing that as bad as absolute power (both financial and political) can be, absolute chaos is worse. I've seen the argument also that it's based on A Tale of Two Cities (which I haven't read, so can't comment). At the end of the day, I can't really ascribe a core theme to this film, but it's not without allusions. The weakest in the trilogy IMO, but not a bad film.

Which brings us to Man of Steel. The closest thing it has to a theme in my eyes is "imperfection." We have an imperfect world (Earth), which produces an imperfect child (Clark Kent - yes, he is flawed, most definately), who hails from a world where perfection (genetically) was sought after. Yet when the two worlds meet, it is the world of 'imperfection' that wins, thanks to Superman himself, who by the film's end, has accepted his role in the world. This is kind of stretching things, but it's the only theme I can think of in the film, and it's a theme that is never explored in Nolan's trilogy. The closest you could say is that both films take a more grounded approach to their subjects, so that's it.

On a personal note, I actually saw Man of Steel in cinemas after losing my job (think it was telemarketing back then), and, feeling down, my dad took me out to the films as a way to cheer me up. I will say that I left the film in far better spirits than I was before going in, so there is that. Man of Steel has its share of darkness and depression, but I do find it uplifting. It's far more engaging to see Clark overcome foes and flaws and become a hero at the end rather than him being a hero from the outset, even if we do see sparks of his desire to help people early on (oil rig, the bus, etc.)

Course, Batman v Superman kinda screws the pooch on his arc a bit, but that's another story.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Hawki said:
I like Man of Steel. I don't think it's a "good" film per se, but it's still an enjoyable one. For me, its primary flaw is its pacing and editing, but as far as themes go, I don't buy that they should be off-limits to Superman.
Man of Steel sort of gets progressively worse as it goes on. At the starts it's a pretty admirable attempt to paint a human portrait of Clark Kent, but by the end it's devolved into explosion laden action that's really, really boring. Starting out in a bold direction before ending up in really boring action is a problem that permeates almost all of Snyder's directorial work.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Saw the review. Saw the number of comments. Thought, Cool, people must really like this movie! Read movie review. Was pleased to see that the movie lines up with what I'm expecting. Checked comments. Saw comments have turned into basically a flame war because first comment. Sadness.

Anyway, my friends and I are going to go see this on Tuesday. We've been waiting for it, and I'm glad to hear that it sounds awesome. Looking forward to laughing so hard that it hurts.