The LEGO Batman Movie - Everything is Still Awesome

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Saw it on Saturday night. Really enjoyed it, and I recommend seeing it.

I see that there's some debate in the comments about this film, saying that it taints the Batman franchise. I've heard the same complaints in the past regarding the old Adam West TV show.

If you prefer a darker, more serious tone to Batman, that's fine. I do too. But I don't mind a more lighthearted and sillier take on the franchise every so often.

That's all my opinion, and I'll see myself out.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Phoenixmgs said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I still don't think Batman killing and Superman being mopey as the worse things ever done to the charcater since I can sight multiple examples of worse. Especially when Batman had killed his villains before in certain comics.
BvS isn't probably the worst depictions ever but worse than their Lego counterparts. Batman killing occasionally isn't the equivalent of him just not caring about life in general. People are fine with Batman killing depending on the situation.
Fucking this. I'm in the "Batman should never kill" camp personally, and I'm also pretty into the comics. I'm struggling to come up with examples of where Batman actually outright kills someone. You can argue that is the end of the Killing Joke (honestly the most logical interpretation) but the Joker is still alive and kicking in future comics. You could argue he snapped the Joker's neck rather than just paralyzing him in TDKR and is hallucinating, but that's The Joker... the guy responsible for more pain and suffering than anyone else he's come up against and is an elseworlds story. Maybe you can count Darkseid in Final Crisis but even that isn't a real "death".

BvS made me feel things no movie had ever made me feel. I'd never seen something that took a character I liked and got it so incredibly wrong. They took a guy who vowed to never use guns or kill and had him literally mowing people down with machine gun fire from his plane and detonating grenades. I almost walked out when he started using a car as a wrecking ball to kill people with guys still inside the car. Snyder made Batman not just a man who might kill in absolute desperation but a murderer. Of course, other people are free to disagree, but at least I saw the movie before voicing such a strong opinion on it.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Lego Batman. I'm a huge fan of Will Arnett's and a hearty dose of levity might do the character some good.

Also, I think a certain someone in this thread could use this picture. It's a favorite go-to of mine.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I still don't think Batman killing and Superman being mopey as the worse things ever done to the charcater since I can sight multiple examples of worse. Especially when Batman had killed his villains before in certain comics.
BvS isn't probably the worst depictions ever but worse than their Lego counterparts. Batman killing occasionally isn't the equivalent of him just not caring about life in general. People are fine with Batman killing depending on the situation.
Fucking this. I'm in the "Batman should never kill" camp personally, and I'm also pretty into the comics. I'm struggling to come up with examples of where Batman actually outright kills someone. You can argue that is the end of the Killing Joke (honestly the most logical interpretation) but the Joker is still alive and kicking in future comics. You could argue he snapped the Joker's neck rather than just paralyzing him in TDKR and is hallucinating, but that's The Joker... the guy responsible for more pain and suffering than anyone else he's come up against and is an elseworlds story. Maybe you can count Darkseid in Final Crisis but even that isn't a real "death".

BvS made me feel things no movie had ever made me feel. I'd never seen something that took a character I liked and got it so incredibly wrong. They took a guy who vowed to never use guns or kill and had him literally mowing people down with machine gun fire from his plane and detonating grenades. I almost walked out when he started using a car as a wrecking ball to kill people with guys still inside the car. Snyder made Batman not just a man who might kill in absolute desperation but a murderer. Of course, other people are free to disagree, but at least I saw the movie before voicing such a strong opinion on it.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Lego Batman. I'm a huge fan of Will Arnett's and a hearty dose of levity might do the character some good.

Also, I think a certain someone in this thread could use this picture. It's a favorite go-to of mine.

It's kinda funny how Lego Batman actually explores some of Batman's actual weaknesses more than pretty much any other movie. Yeah, it's mostly in fun but it gets serious enough at times to be quite impactful even though it's just a Lego movie.

I'm no comics aficionado by any stretch but I've heard people say Batman has killed a few times in the comics. I'm fine with Batman killing if the situation merits it, there's tons of hypothetical situations where killing is the right choice. Also, a more realistic Batman would have to kill occasionally just due to how freaking hard it is to fight people wanting you dead and win while being at the disadvantage of not using deadly force. Even a simple fight could lead to a death like hitting someone just a bit too hard / the wrong spot or just hitting a guy too hard he loses his balance and falls to his death. I think that would be a great Batman story where someone dies basically accidentally in a run-of-the-mill fight that Batman can't quite fully control and then seeing how Batman takes it.

Don't get me wrong, BvS is a truly horrible movie (I saw it the Thursday night of the week it came out just to go in with no bias and I literally couldn't believe what I just saw) but I'm gotten quite the entertainment value just having hour long discussions with people talking about every little thing that was so bad and how basically nothing in the whole movie made sense. I also had a Facebook discussion with a DC fanboy that said Batman didn't kill anyone in the movie if you just pay attention saying stuff like the guy jumped out before Batman blew up a van, but that's not the point. Just over the last week a couple great Youtube vids popped up on my feed about BvS and it was still great watching them. In a "mega review", the guy demonstrated literally how useless Lex was in the movie because Batman would've killed Superman if Lex was completely absent from the movie. Lex wouldn't have kidnapped Supes' mom, thus the Martha scene wouldn't have happened, thus Batman kills Supes with the spear. That's literally how bad of a villain Lex was in the movie that his goal would've happened if he wasn't there.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Took the nephew to see it and he's like, OK, if you insist. Kid's movie.

Left the theater raving.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
EDIT: I'd also like to point out, no one thinks less of Batman because the animators chose Batman to screw his sidekick. People blame the animators / script writers for making Batman do something completely out of character.
I believe it was less that and more they kinda screwed with Batgirl's character by adding in the kinda squick-ish detail of her wanting to fuck Batman being one of her primary motivations. (I mean, I get why women might want to do that, but I don't recall that being in her lore in most of her media appearances)
IIRC, I don't think Batman actually screws her in the film, I think she just had an imagine spot of her making out with him once or twice prior to being crippled.

Either way, many people saw it as a rather un-wanted addition to the story and for good reason.
Me? I'm more pissed off that the final monologue wasn't as well set up as it was in some fan-made recreations, the pacing kinda felt-...off in it's delivery and they paraphrased it a bit too much.