The Lego Movie (No joke!)

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009

Yep, today, WB's announced they're making a Lego Movie! It's very surreal... but it's also kind of cool...

Share your thoughts!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Ticket was sold the moment they had the DC Heroes and the TMNT in the same room.

I mean for a concept as stupid as this, that's the way to fucking do a Lego movie, like the way we all play with legos: Mashing together the various sets and pieces to create something original. The only way they could of made this better was if they could of did a DC/Marvel crossover in it.

Plus that trailer got me to laugh, so yay for that.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I just thought I'd share the cast list:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1490017/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Please take note of a few big names, such as Will Ferrell, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, and WILL ARNETTE AS BATMAN. HOLY SHIT THAT'S AWESOME.

I'M ALREADY MAILING MY MONEY TO CINEMARK IN ADVANCE.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Psh, what a bunch of losers. Everyone knows that if you're a secret agent saving the world, you need black hands for gloves. Looks so much cooler

I'll probably check it out

I'm just glad they don't have the LEGO's with white skin (or I didn't see any at least). That just looks weird to me.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
I just thought I'd share the cast list:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1490017/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Please take note of a few big names, such as Will Ferrell, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, and WILL ARNETTE AS BATMAN. HOLY SHIT THAT'S AWESOME.

I'M ALREADY MAILING MY MONEY TO CINEMARK IN ADVANCE.
I hope Will Ferrell gets some emotional scenes. Ever see that fucker in Stranger Than Fiction? Guy's got the emotional range of David Tennant.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I don't know what to think.. I love the Lego games but half the fun of those cutscenes is that they (mostly) don't talk. This just trips me out.

I can't decide if I like the animation either, it's creative sure, but it doesn't feel right.

I probably won't see it in the cinema, but I might rent the DVD or watch through Netflix if it pops up again.

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
I always wanted a lego movie. This can be the greatest movie of the year, but this idea can also go very wrong.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Is it me, or are a lot of movies starting to bank on the Nostalgia factor now? I mean there was Wreck-it Ralph pulling in all those old videogames we love (For cameos), now there's this? And that's not even mentioning reboots or redos...

Don't get me wrong, these movies have been great, but I worry that movies are going to start banking on the Nostalgia factor a bit more now...

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I'm hoping that this movie will be good.
Though I can imagine both children and adults will watch it due to nostalgia or a connection to Lego.
So I think they will gather a good amount of money.

But dear God I hope this movie is good.
Damn nostalgia. XD

sky14kemea said:
I don't know what to think.. I love the Lego games but half the fun of those cutscenes is that they (mostly) don't talk. This just trips me out.

I can't decide if I like the animation either, it's creative sure, but it doesn't feel right.

I probably won't see it in the cinema, but I might rent the DVD or watch through Netflix if it pops up again.
I do understand what you are saying.
I mean I played and loved the Star Wars Lego games, and that had barely any speech at all. (Apart from screams and etc)
And that IS some of the charm. Though if you note some of the more recent Lego games and they added talking in and such.
(I haven't played any of these games yet)

It's all CGI but I'm guessing they are trying to make it looks like it a stop-motion film instead.
It's weird but I still have some kind of connection to it. :/

Other then that I will probably watch this movie with my best friend to get a kick out of it. :D

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Looks like a lot of fun. I like how it's reminiscent of stop-motion animation.

"Welp, guess I'm gonna have to report YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY-"

I laughed hard at that.

Chessrook44 said:
Is it me, or are a lot of movies starting to bank on the Nostalgia factor now? I mean there was Wreck-it Ralph pulling in all those old videogames we love (For cameos), now there's this? And that's not even mentioning reboots or redos...

Don't get me wrong, these movies have been great, but I worry that movies are going to start banking on the Nostalgia factor a bit more now...
Hollywood has been banking on the nostalgia factor for decades now, it's just that they're targeting us instead of our parents (assuming you're a Millennial as well). Back in the 80's and 90's, they went after the Baby Boomers, since they were the demographic spending the most money. The decades were full of (mostly bad) movie adaptations of popular shows and cartoons from their generation, including Popeye, Rocky & Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle, Lost in Space, and Mr. Magoo to name only a few.

With the Baby Boomers starting to retire and earning less money with their pensions (those lucky enough to have one, that is), the Millennials have become the target demographic now. The one major difference is that Hollywood seems to care a little more about making good nostalgia-fueled films instead of just phoning it in (though they still do the latter quite often - see Battleship and the Transformers films).

Wyvern65

May 29, 2013
Chessrook44 said:
Is it me, or are a lot of movies starting to bank on the Nostalgia factor now?
It's you. Movies have /always/ banked on the nostalgia factor. You just weren't old enough to be the target of it until now :D

OT: From the video it looks like it could be fun. Not something I'd see in a theater (but given how few movies I'd go to a theater to watch that's not saying much.)

Henrik Knudsen

Apr 15, 2013
Looks like it is going to an epic movie, thanks for sharing :p

I wonder what the 1980 space guy is a reference to? Can someone enlighten me? =)

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Henrik Knudsen said:

I wonder what the 1980 space guy is a reference to? Can someone enlighten me? =)
Space Lego sets from the 1980's, I had some, they looked like that guy, there were different colors :D they weren't based off a show or anything, just space, because astronauts!

Henrik Knudsen

Apr 15, 2013
Ahh
chozo_hybrid said:
Space Lego sets from the 1980's, I had some, they looked like that guy, there were different colors :D they weren't based off a show or anything, just space, because astronauts!
Ah thanks, was born in 1980 so couldn't remember. Was thinking some movie or some real world reference :)

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Whelp, I'm going to get my tent and camp outside the theatre. Anyone gonna join me?

Henrik Knudsen said:

EDIT: Ninja'd. That's what I get for watching the trailer about 10 times before posting!

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Heh, kind of looking forward to this... depending on how they handle this, it'll either be one of the most awesome things ever, or completely unwatchable...<.<

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
WHOA trailer Was awESOME!!!... Hope it will be as good as the movie itself... like the inglorious basterds... good trailer bad movie(liked kill bill(both), four rooms, pulp fiction, grindhouse(both)(so dont call me a genre(tarantino)hater))...

hatok

Jan 25, 2013
STOOOOOKED
The trailer, at least, captured the cheesy but good charm I love so much about LEGO story, the references are cute, and the Cloud With a Chance of Meatballs guys are pretty good at what they do
So yeah, I think my niece and I may just so happen to be seeing this movie when it comes out :p