The "Literal Dead Island Trailer" Isn't Quite So Powerful

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The "Literal Dead Island Trailer" Isn't Quite So Powerful

The captivating Dead Island trailer is a bit less haunting when the soundtrack is describing exactly what's going on at all times.

It's only been a week since we first saw the cinematic trailer for Dead Island [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107826-Dead-Island-The-Best-Zombie-Game-Trailer-Ever] - a trailer so poignant it immediately turned the previously unheard-of game into a viral hit. Perhaps it was the scene of a father and mother losing their young daughter to zombie-ism, or perhaps it was the quiet piano soundtrack, but either way it was simply a captivating piece of zombie cinema.

It really isn't quite as striking when someone is singing lyrics describing the action over the soundtrack.

This is the work of humorist World of Warcraft: Cataclysm [http://www.youtube.com/user/Tobuscus]. It's also very funny, and illustrates just how important an immersive atmosphere is to the emotional impact of a trailer.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/24/dead-island-trailer-gets-literal/])

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
I was wondering when Tobuscus would be mentioned on the Escapist, though I think Dead Island wasn't quite fit for his approach.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
I saw this just yesterday on IGN, I loved it. It's good to see that not I'm not the only one who thinks the trailer wasn't super touching and powerful.
I recommend checking out more of Tobuscus' literal trailers, they're quite amusing.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I love his litteral videos. Though his best is definetly the Assassins Creed: Brotherhood one.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I laughed when I first saw it, I must admit, but it's not one of his strongest ones. Preferred the Dead Space 2 over this one.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
"She looks excited, is it Christmas? No... Shes dead..."
Priceless.

OT: I love Tobuscus and this was funny, dont really see much here except a great literal of a trailer.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Good video. I saw it yesterday and liked it a lot. Tobuscus has a number of cool ones.

My favourite is the Clash of the Titans Literal Trailer. Check it out!

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Nocta-Aeterna said:
I was wondering when Tobuscus would be mentioned on the Escapist, though I think Dead Island wasn't quite fit for his approach.
To be honest every single time one of these videos comes out it seems to get mentioned in the news room [obviously not literally but I seem to recall at least two previous posts dedicated to these videos.] As amusing as some may find them it's getting a bit boring seeing them featured everywhere, especially as this isn't that amusing at all...

Tarlane

Charismatic Leader
May 5, 2009
Yeah, I discovered Tobuscus about two months ago and he's a lot of fun. If you like 'lets play' type videos, his tobygames channel is pretty good. He's always funny and doesn't take himself as seriously as a lot of other lets play type guys as you can gather from the title of his videos being 'Toby sucks at gaming.'

Also, just to be thorough, he has a tobyturner channel too that is where he puts up a quick daily clip that is normally just him rambling. Its one of those things that I watched a few of but didn't really get why I enjoyed them, but I did. At this point I've gone through them all and still find them consistently funny.

Toby had to be going somewhere though, James Cameron did one of his daily vlogs with him a few weeks back. When you manage a meeting with James Cameron and then pull out your phone to shoot a note about that day where you act like a jackass, and manage to get him to participate you should get ahead by balls alone.

Iwana Humpalot

Jan 22, 2011
Wow, Toby is just getting even more and more famose everytime he makes one of these videos.
He's awesome. I still think that this trailer wasn't one of hes best ones. But hey, the trailer was still kinda funny.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I never saw the appeal of these videos, frankly. I just find myself irritated whenever I'm unfortunate enough to have to watch them.

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
i love toboscus he is a great guy, and his literals match the themes of the trailers.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Jesus, Tobuscus is showing up everywhere with this!
A good Literal, but it does require a heavy dose of the "Dead Space 2" one afterwards to stop yourself feeling so sad.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I love Tobuscus, he's my secret youtube pleasure. I'm addicted to his 'let's plays', his 'Lazy Vlogs', his 'Cute Win Fail' show, and his literals. I'm glad he's doing well for himself.