The Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Now Has a Trailer

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
83, but I guess with this being a big budget Hollywood affair anything less than 120 is entirely unacceptable.
Wow I remember it being shorter, oh well

2 slow-mo shootouts in that trailer? If I remember correctly, there weren't any slow-mo gunfights in any GiTS movies/series cause it was all fast paced as it should be.
Maybe not but the original movie contains 2 slow mo shots in the first five minutes so....

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Huh... So this is actually getting made, is it?

Well, I'm intrigued. The trailer has some stuff I like, some stuff I dislike. It's a trailer, who knows what the end result will be. For an 'anime to Hollywood blockbuster' adaption, they got the cyberpunk feel fairly right. Hell, maybe they stayed even a little too close to the original designs for certain things (the eyes of Batou, the thermoptic camo suit/body).

Right now, my only worry is the story: it seems like they're putting a new spin on the background of Major Kusanagi? I know the original Ghost in the Shell didn't have the best story and the ending scene was a letdown - oh hush fanboys, you know I'm right - but at least the character arc of the major was interesting and presented in a way that utilized its medium to its fullest.

As for updating the original: I just hope they cut the forced 'philosphical' monologues and keep the quiet, atmospheric moments.

Also...

http://www.journaldugeek.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2016/08/un7wun0hfeibe9yyncka.jpg

I feel Batou should've been played by someone with a more 'intimidating' physique.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
I... guess I am just not feeling it. Worst part is I cannot point to any one thing and say 'I don't like this' I mean the added plot about the major's past is annoying but to be expected in Hollywood, Scarjo is passable but not 'great' I guess I think the worst part for me is her voice, and it feels so petty but she does not SOUND like the major should sound to me.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Arqus_Zed said:
As for updating the original: I just hope they cut the forced 'philosphical' monologues and keep the quiet, atmospheric moments.
I only know the original film, but I liked those; they gave Kusanagi and the film itself an idiosyncratic charm - naive, yet cerebral. Aware of deeper meaning but not wholly able to process or vocalise it.

I feel Batou should've been played by someone with a more 'intimidating' physique.
I think he looks fine. The actor I'm most interested in seeing is Kitano - I've always been a huge fan of his '90's films as director and actor, and whilst I'm not sure how well he'll fit this role, he's almost always worth watching.

As for the trailer itself? Eh, despite my willingness to watch almost anything with Johansson in, it looks okay at the moment. I'm still not entirely sure why so many shot for shot scenes seem to be present. They already exist - near perfect - in the animated feature. What's really gained by a live action adaptation, particularly if nothing new is really done? For me one of the best things about the original was the incredible score and sound design - whoever's scoring the new'un can never match let alone trump best it, so it's already at a significant disadvantage.

That said, whilst Gibson's cyberpunk was well ahead of its time, it seems the themes and worlds he dealt with have never been more relevant. So I suppose a live-action Ghost In The Shell is really just part of that cultural resurgence (or recontextualisation), for want of a better term. Blade Runner 2 (ugh... ) is around the corner, Spielberg's got Ready Player One, and then I suppose there's the unimaginatively titled Cyberpunk 2077, which may actually come out in 2077 and miss several new waves of cyberpunk.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Dios mio this looks horrible. I mean, not that it was unexpected, really, but this was the best attempt they could come up with?

The only thing I can hope for is that this is an unmitigated bomb and no one will get the dumbass idea to attempt something like this again.

Why can't people realize the best way to do anime movies is to take the core concept, change large details in order to make it look not stupid in the west, and call it something else? Worked just fine with Inception and Black Swan.

Meh. At least the Depeche Mode cover wasn't so bad for song choice.

Mar 26, 2008
Well the got the aesthetic spot on, which piques my interest. But I can't for the life of me remember Motoko Kusanagi's past ever coming into question in the anime. She was what she was and that was it.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
The aesthetics are good and given Hollywood's obsession with origin stories grabbing random bits that talk about the Major's origin from SAC is not all that surprising. They also went ahead and adapted the most interesting single action sequence from SAC (the robo-Geishas) which I have zero intention to criticize given the number of times I've ripped it off for RPG sessions. It's an extremely interesting scenario for an action scene and I think it will be fun to see in live action provided they don't fuck it up.

As for how the actors look, Batou having much too young of a face and the usual "the major should be Asian" complaint are the only things I have against that aspect at this point. I do think it's dumb that it looks like they're going to try and explain why Batou has robo eyes, when the answer to that is that he just never swapped them out with more advanced eyes after having become a cyborg forever ago. It shows he's sentimental and works much better at giving him characterization than dumb shit like "ooh, I got in a fight and now my eyes are gone, the stakes are so high!"

At least it's adapting the better action sequences from the source material so it will be fun to watch. While there is no way it can live up to everything it is borrowing from given how divergent their tones are, I do hope it at least works as a fun blockbuster in the vein of a DC superhero movie, which seems to be the goal. What can I say, after everything that has gone wrong this year, I want to be hopeful.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
Ron Pearlman.

OT; If it is a live action version of the original movie, can't wait for the tank battle at the end.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Silentpony said:
It looks about as good as you'd expect. Meaning is looks absolutely dreadful and will more than likely bomb. Also we as a country need to come together and just admit Scarlet really shouldn't talk anymore. Its just not something she's good at, and its dragging the entire country down.
When people kept complaining about there not being a Black Widow movie, I just point to literally all of her performances. You want a whole movie of that? I think she has been the only major miscast in the MCU.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Man, I wasn't really feeling the whole 'whitewashing' thing people were going on about until I saw the trailer. Now I'm feeling it. Seeing a setting that looks so incredibly SUPER asian and then seeing a bunch of white people instead feels too weird and jarring.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
Would have been better if they'd used the Laughing Man arch from Stand Alone Complex than the original Puppeteer arch.

MrCalavera said:
It looks decent, better than expected, but i still have problem with buying ScarJo as the Major.
And no, it's not a 'whitewashing' thing.
It is her face. Major had a stern, nearly emotionless face. Scarlet Johanson can't seem to pull it off right. At least, not throughout the entire movie. Sharper face lines that signify an empty shell, pondering whether a soul really exists within. That is the essence of Ghost in the Shell.
also her hair looks extremely fake

even within the context of a full synthetic body

the issue with Batou is his face, it's not nearly as flat or chiseled as it should be, so it looks like some douchebag wearing a jacket

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I like the visual style as presented- the characters, the scenery, the over-all design.

But I think I'm reaching the point of fatigue on Zack Snyder-style slow-mo stop-start. The trailer as presented has me wondering if I'll be wishing we could move past the "2016 Action Movie with a healthy CGI budget" and get back to a more meditative Blade Runner tourism.

I'll wait for the reviews; I wasn't exactly a big fan of "Snow White and The Huntsman", but I don't know how much of that to lay on the script and direction and how much goes at the feet of Kirsten Stewart (I though Theron was pretty good in it.) But I wouldn't rule out seeing it right now.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Arqus_Zed said:

Well, I'm intrigued. The trailer has some stuff I like, some stuff I dislike. It's a trailer, who knows what the end result will be. For an 'anime to Hollywood blockbuster' adaption, they got the cyberpunk feel fairly right. Hell, maybe they stayed even a little too close to the original designs for certain things (the eyes of Batou, the thermoptic camo suit/body).

Right now, my only worry is the story: it seems like they're putting a new spin on the background of Major Kusanagi? I know the original Ghost in the Shell didn't have the best story and the ending scene was a letdown - oh hush fanboys, you know I'm right - but at least the character arc of the major was interesting and presented in a way that utilized its medium to its fullest.

Also...

http://www.journaldugeek.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2016/08/un7wun0hfeibe9yyncka.jpg

Never mind the guy playing Batou (who I agree looks like a ponce), what the fuck happened to Togusa and Ishikawa? Last I checked Togusa was meant to be cop in his mid 30's with a wife and child, this fucker looks like he should have grandchildren or has the least flattering publicity of still of anyone not associated with the Third Reich. And Ishikawa looks kind of like a poor man's Idris Elba, which hey maybe related to this cyborg body swap thing the setting has (the facial hair is oddly accurate) but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of a black Japanese guy - assuming of course he is either of those things.

The only one who looks like a real-life interpretation of their character is Aramaki, and I don't feel that should have been a hard bar to clear.

Zelderahn

Feb 19, 2014
I know that western moviemaking has more or less set themselves into a rut when it comes to what stories and what kind of sequences get greenlit these days, but this trailer.. it certainly didn't feel Ghost in the Shell in any way.

It's not as much whitewashing as it is seemingly co-opting the setting to play out what looks like some sort of Matrix lookalike with pop-culture starlet of the hour. The story has been wrangled to focus on some conspiracy based around Kusanagi, and how she's somehow suddenly unique in her cyborghood..

I can't help but feel like this trailer is either made by someone that didn't get the point of the movie, or the entire work doesn't understand that GITS is supposed to be slower, silent, cerebral, ponderous even. Such a huge part of the main story being explored in all the earlier animated fare is how replaceable and standardized humanity is, the cold calculation, replication.

For goodness sake, probably the most powerful scene in the original Ghost in the shell was one in which Kusanagi was just traveling through the city, noticing the many identical copies to herself to that weird disjointed music.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
90+ minutes of Scarlet in a naked suit? Sign me the hell up. This could be a movie about paint drying for all the ****s I do not give.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:

Also...

Vin Diesel I feel would have at least fit the look of Batu

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Ishigami said:
Horrible shit.
Basically they adopted the aesthetics to some degree then proceeded to rape everything else.
Kusanagis past has no influence on the story of GitS. None at all. It is highly irrelevant.
Even in GitS:SAC its only really in one episode despite having some degree of relevance to the plot and that?s an alternate universe.
Here they make it out to be some sort of conspiracies. The first of its kind. Nonsense. Cyborgs like Kusanagi are highly common.
Here they probably pick up some BS from DeusEx: Human Revolution and then blend it with GitS:SAC.
This will be a movie alright, a shitty one and certainly no real live adaptation of the original GitS feature movie.
100% this!

and it only gets worse from here on...

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Sooooo looks like I"m going to be one of those minority GitS fans that is excited by this...

Ah well. Not the first time

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
Voxoid said:
Great, looks just like another garbage westernised reboot that's been butchered at the core and made into a cliche bunch of action scenes.

2 slow-mo shootouts in that trailer? If I remember correctly, there weren't any slow-mo gunfights in any GiTS movies/series cause it was all fast paced as it should be.

Not gunna hold my breath for this one, it looks like it'll be damn awful.
I hope we're wrong because you're mirroring my fears, dumbed down amnesia - bad corp rebel with a cause plot incoming