The Local Attractions Around Your Area.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
If a tourist were to ask you what sights are good to see in your local area, what would you recommend?

I would recommend the many legal and illegal brothels inside my home city of Newcastle Australia.

captcha: If it fits.

I knew you would understand.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Mt. Magazine and it's lodge. That's about it.
I mean the mountain is a really wonderful place to visit and the lodge get's reservations from around the world apparently, but that's literally all there is.

Other than that, lot's of tree covered mountains and just trees in general.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Castle Hill? It's a hill with... a castle... on it...

My town doesn't really have attractions, or anything for that matter. The only real advantage is that it's right in the middle of Leeds & Manchester so it's good for commuters.

I guess the train station's a pretty nice building, so you've got something nice to look at before you leave the town forever because there's nothing here ¬_¬

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Well, considering I live in Florida, I'm not sure why anyone would come to MY specific area instead of one of the more prominent tourist sites.

That being said, Tampa is about an hour away from my house, and that's a pretty big city with alot to do.

Other than that, I live pretty close to Weeki Wachee Springs. It's basically a giant water park/nature park, with lots of animal exhibits and water slides, and a really nice freshwater beach in the spring itself.

And not only that, but Weeki Wachee is home to the Mermaid shows. It's more or less what it sounds like, women dress up like mermaids, and do a big underwater show. Like this:

Basically, remember that episode of Pokemon where Misty dresses up like a mermaid and does a show at the Cerulean Gym? Pretty much exactly that... well, except without the Pokemon, of course.

Johnny Wishbone

Aug 17, 2011
Being in the greater Philadelphia area, I'd start with:

The Liberty Bell
Independence Hall
Ben Franklin's grave
The National Constitution Center
The Philadelphia branch of the US Mint
The battleship New Jersey (across the Delaware river in Camden NJ)
Society Hill and Olde Town sections of Philadelphia (lots of colonial era buildings and architecture)
Penns Landing (Philadelphia's waterfront along the Delaware river)
Pat's and Geno's (for decent cheesesteaks. much better elsewhere, but these two are the famous ones)

Outside of Philadelphia:
Valley Forge National Park

Further outside of Philadelphia:
New Hope (quaint little tourist trap town full of artsy shops, etc)
Gettysburg battlefield
Hershey park (amusement park) and factory tour (chocolate!)

That's a start......

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
So freaking many...

I live in Rio, Brazil. So you might already expect what there's to do here.
Beaches, forest trips, the historical buildings downtown. Depending on the season, you can check the biggest floating christmas tree or the usual Carnaval.
The list goes on, and on, and on...

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Well I live in north east Tennessee, so not much around here other than dumb rednecks, going to Wal-mart just to look at the people can be fun or highly disturbing. Um about the only real "attraction" around here is Dollywood, it's a piss poor excuse for an amusement park although it does has 2 good roller coasters now. Then we got Gatlinburg with is just a little mountain side tourist trap of a town, it's kinda fun just to walk around and see the place, it's got a couple great mini-golf places & a whole bunch of Ripley's Believe it or Not attractions. Those are kinda fun, but too damn expensive for what they are.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
You'd recommend them personally then Knifer? :p

OT: I'd definately recommend Artprize in Downtown Grand Rapids. Every year in the fall, artists set up works of art they created (statues, paintings, carvings, etc...) throughout the city and enter them in the contest. People can walk around the city viewing them and visiting the awesome bars and restaurants downtown. The winner is chosen by a vote, and gets a cash prize. It's a lot of fun.

Other than that I'd also recommend the beaches along lake Michigan :)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well there's the yearly um... Cowboy Drunkathon that occurs in Early July...

There was the Zoo... but we had some serious flooding back in Early July... For example here's a picture of one of the hippos um... "escaping" during the flood. For reference the Hippo is currently in one of the aisles intended for people, it's next to the Warthog enclosure... the actual Hippo Tank is past it... and of course completely under water.

So currently I can't say I really know what sort of state the Zoo is in...

However we are the closest city to Banff National Park, which means there's tons of skiing nearby in the winter and loads of interesting hiking to be had during the summer.

So yeah you know... if you like mountains and stuff...

Also there's our deliciously geeky claim to fame, the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo, which is now I think the 2nd Biggest Convention in Canada?

Here's an oddly not busy picture of it...

Anyway other than general local food culture, which is pretty good...

Oh yeah! We have The Sentry Box! Which is definitely Canada's biggest Tabletop Gaming Store, it's possibly even the biggest Tabletop Gaming Store in the world... though I can't confirm that...

Anway... that's home... Calgary isn't the greatest tourist city but it's a pretty okay place to just... live... as we've got a lot of conveniences, nice restaurants and a low crime rate for a city of our size.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
Well there's the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. http://museumforhumanrights.ca/home

Except it's not done yet and a few million (billion?) dollars over budget and the stupidest thing ever.

There's, ah... Um... Hm...

Okay, Winnipeg sucks.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Go see the Ypsilanti Water Tower.

It's quite a scene

Niflhel

Sep 25, 2010
The Freetown Christania
It's a truly unique place. Back in the 70s, an old military area was squatted by hippies. They got their own set of rules, and cares little about the laws of Denmark.
It's mostly famous for its Greenlight District, a place where cannabis is sold openly from market stalls.

NoMercy Rider

May 17, 2013
Since more than half of the state's population lives within the city I reside in or one of its suburbs (Portland, Oregon), there is plenty to see and do.

-Visit Voodoo Donuts for some of the most unique donuts (bacon maple bar being the most famous)
-Go to one of the weekly beer festivals during the summer or go on a microbrewery tour, we are the microbrew capital of the world after all.
-Visit the Portland Zoo and Japanese gardens
-Visit Powell's bookstore, the largest used bookstore in the US.

And if you want to drive a bit (about 30 min away):
-Multnomah Falls
-See the Aviation Museum with the Spruce Goose (largest wood plane) and aquatic theme park with a Boeing 747 parked on top

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Alcohol. Ok, that's not all. There's the W.A.C Bennett Dam. One of the world?s largest earth filled dams. And the Williston Reservoir. It's the third largest artificial lake in North America.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Johnny Wishbone said:
Pat's and Geno's (for decent cheesesteaks. much better elsewhere, but these two are the famous ones)
Let the tourists have that south Philly shit. Less of a line in Roxborough, where the good cheesesteaks are.

Art Museum both for the art and the idiots who can't resist running up front the steps.
The Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania
Franklin Institute
Rodin Museum
Mutter Museum

In June there's the Bike Race in Manayunk/Roxborough.

Also, the Wissachickon Valley with the Chief Tedyuscung statue, the Devil's Pool, the Fingerspan bridge and Valley Green Inn.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
Well there's "Ealing Studios", home of the sort of famous "Ealing Comedies".
But that's for film buffs. What you really want to see in Ealing is the North Korean Embassy to the United Kingdom

Yep, it's the house on the left at the end there...I'm dead serious, walked passed it a couple of times

Oh and there is the rest of London, but whatever

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
Well I don't mean to brag, but our local river, the Avoca River, was found to be THE [a href="http://www.anirishanglersworld.com/index.php/media/the-avoca-catchment-a-visionary-view-of-irish-fisheries-management/"]most polluted river in Europe.[/a] But we're selfless enough so that we've allowed the pollution to spread to the sea, all the way to the coast of Wales! And you guys always wondered why you smell like shit - besides from all the seagull droppings. So if you're ever in the area, DO NOT DRINK THE FUCKING WATER because we don't have one of those fancy pants filtration systems. It would ruin our environmentally hazardous heritage, and we don't want THAT sanitary (non)bile running down our children's throats, do we? Fuck no. What are they, royalty?

We also have that mentally deficient guy who occasionally walks the street shouting at random cars. We all point and laugh at him.

bigsby

Jul 16, 2009
Pretty much the entire city, since i live in Heidelberg. Oldest University in Germany and one of the oldest in the world, amazing architecture, idyllic location in the Neckar River Valley. Plus an Afghan guy making arguably the best spare ribs in the entire world out of a tiny trailer, next to the US military complex.

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
In Wilmington DE? The only attraction I can think of is the drive over to Philly or other less boring places. Unless incredibly polluted river counts as an attraction.