The Longest Ride - Contemptible Cinema

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Longest Ride - Contemptible Cinema

The Longest Ride is okay for a Nicholas Sparks adaptation - until it decides to treat its audience like dirt and have an absolutely awful and stupid final third.

Read Full Article

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Dammit Marter I wish you'd stop pulling your punches like this. :D

Never seen one of these films and methinks that trend will continue.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I avoid 'The Nicolas Sparks Adaptation' (for there is only one) like the plague, so I don't care about spoilers. However, I kind of do want to know what about this movie could be so stupid as to make it noteworthy in any way.

PM me or something. :p

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Marter said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I avoid 'The Nicolas Sparks Adaptation' (for there is only one) like the plague, so I don't care about spoilers. However, I kind of do want to know what about this movie could be so stupid as to make it noteworthy in any way.

PM me or something. :p
Seconded.

If you want, you could try putting spoiler materials in Spoiler tags, unless the Escapist would rather you not spoil films.

OT: I'm still thinking that one movie that the name escapes me is worse, basically I'm pretty sure it was a romance one like this, but the twist ending is that the dude ends up dying in 9/11 and the entire story was a flash back.
Not entirely sure as I never got to watch the whole thing, just found the clip one day and, regardless of what kind of film it is, I really doubt that milking 9/11 for "Feels" is an idea made by someone sensible.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014

Wow, first one star I believe I've seen you give as CineMarter. You must really hate what this film did.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
OT: I'm still thinking that one movie that the name escapes me is worse, basically I'm pretty sure it was a romance one like this, but the twist ending is that the dude ends up dying in 9/11 and the entire story was a flash back.
Not entirely sure as I never got to watch the whole thing, just found the clip one day and, regardless of what kind of film it is, I really doubt that milking 9/11 for "Feels" is an idea made by someone sensible.
Pretty sure it's <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_Me_%282010_film%29>Remember Me. (Unless there's another film that does that.)

I'll PM you and NinjaDeathSlap the spoilers in like 9ish hours, after work. If I don't, remind me because I probably forgot because I'm like that.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Marter said:
Pretty sure it's <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_Me_%282010_film%29>Remember Me. (Unless there's another film that does that.)

I'll PM you and NinjaDeathSlap the spoilers in like 9ish hours, after work. If I don't, remind me because I probably forgot because I'm like that.
Yeah, that's the one.

I remember it because the way they transition to it was so fucking stupid, from a kid's classroom learning about 9/11, to one of the characters standing in a completely empty room in one of the Towers, it seemed SO out of place it was stupid.
But now that I'd read the wiki page, I actually hate it slightly less now because I realize that Edward Cullen was the guy who died xD
Ohhh, I'm a terrible person...

Either way, no rush man :)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I can hear Nicholas Sparks now: "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of all this MONEY!!!"

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
It's a shame it turned out to be so bad. Honestly, I love the hell out of The Notebook, I think it's fantasic. I'll give this one a miss though. But damn... Scott Eastwood. He looks an awful lot like his dad when his dad was young. And my gods he is so good looking.

But seriously, after much google searching I can't find what the ending is. Someone please tell me!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Now when you say;
Marter said:
this is another poor adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel.
Does this imply Nicholas Spark's novels are good? :)

OT; I thought we were past the era of predictable/cliche'd romance movies.

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
Oh could you PM the ending as well please. I don't want to sit through the movie to find out, but you made me curious.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Listen. Saying "This is the worst thing ever. You'll never believe this. What were they thinking when they did this. But I won't spoil it for you", is stupid. You're just encouraging people to go see a movie that you know is terrible. A movie that they don't want to see, and that you don't want them to see. For what? To placate Spoiler culture? Screw that. If something really is so bad that it's mere existence shifts the entire tone of the film it deserves to be described in full and mocked viciously.

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
Wow, that ending does indeed sound like garbage and not the hilariously bad kind but the kind that leaves you feeling insulted afterwards.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to send me the PM! Since you've gotten on the front page I've been reading through a lot of your older reviews that are on the forum and I enjoy your stuff quite a bit.