The Loose Ends of The Avengers

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Loose Ends of The Avengers

MovieBob reveals almost everything you wanted to know about the Marvel movie-verse, and a few things you didn't know you wanted to know.

Read Full Article

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I like your explanation of how the Cosmic Cube might work in the movies. The idea of a portable inter-dimensional transporter is still fascinatingly powerful, without being the stupid piece of deus ex machina it was in the comics; and I can accept that it works as a battery when its ambient energy is contained.

Also: I love the idea of a well-made, in-depth Black Panther movie. If Marvel keeps up its recent trend of good adaptations it wouldn't be just a fun romp with an interesting character, it could also help provide some much needed diversity to the summer blockbuster fair.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Very nice compilation. Well done as always. Heck, this could have been an entire "Big Picture" episode if you think about it.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I thought that the element that Tony made was supposed to be Vibranium, at least that's what Jarvis said, and that they were either cutting out Wakanda or Tony made synthetic Vibranium.

This of course slightly confused me when Howard Stark says that the Cap's shield was made from the metal, since I was under the assumption it hadn't been invented yet.

millertime059

Jan 7, 2011
One thing I am a bit unsure of, you state the location where the Cap was recovered from as being Antarctica, a.k.a. the large continent on the far south of the globe. The movie shows him flying north over Sweden, Norway, then to the north pole.

Did I miss something or was this just a mix up on Bob's part?

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
millertime059 said:
One thing I am a bit unsure of, you state the location where the Cap was recovered from as being Antarctica, a.k.a. the large continent on the far south of the globe. The movie shows him flying north over Sweden, Norway, then to the north pole.

It makes no sense for Cap to have crashed in Antarctica. All of the bomber's targets were in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the comics canon, he crashed into the North Sea. Either it's a mixup or maybe Bob enthusiastically jumped to an erroneous connection based on the Antarctica map in Harold Stark's possessions (these things happen during fanboy speculation). If it was a map of Antarctica and not the Arctic (I don't remember), the most likely Marvel Universe reference is to the Savage Land [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Land].

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
All great question and nice to keep in mind for the upcoming Avengers movie. Speculation is fun!

Personally, though... I'm still holding out for a Doctor Strange movie!

millertime059

Jan 7, 2011
Falseprophet said:
millertime059 said:

It makes no sense for Cap to have crashed in Antarctica. All of the bomber's targets were in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the comics canon, he crashed into the North Sea. Either it's a mixup or maybe Bob enthusiastically jumped to an erroneous connection based on the Antarctica map in Harold Stark's possessions (these things happen during fanboy speculation). If it was a map of Antarctica and not the Arctic (I don't remember), the most likely Marvel Universe reference is to the Savage Land [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Land].
That's what I figured, but since the extent of my comic knowledge comes from the movies I wasn't going to discount that I missed something.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
This is excellent. I think they're planning a Doctor Strange film; I hope so at least. Anyway. WHY IS IT NEXT SUMMER!? I can't wait that long!

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I'm thinking moviebob basically encompasses the whole "mastergeek" ideal this site stands for. They'd better make sure moviebob doesn't go "Extra Credits" on them (something which was a real shame). I'd love for the coming say, ten marvel movies to rule the screens as the last few have, and would be really dissapointed if they pulled a green lantern.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It would be awesome to see The Vision in the (or rather, an since the only thing stopping The Avengers from being a series would be some sort of or, a series of production/ contract disasters). He was passed over in Ultimate Alliance and as far as I know hasn't been in any game since The Captain America and the Avengers arcade machine. He's long overdue for a comeback.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Interesting, though I didn't understand most of it due to a lack of comic knowledge. I think that the element created in IM2 wasn't kept secret from anyone in particular though. It was mentioned that they couldn't make it back when Stark Sr. was alive. It's very likely that, to protect what would likely be a very important power source which would do horrible damage in the wrong hands (which he learned from Captain America), he hid the 'blueprints' of it. Of course hiding it in anything quite so simple as a blueprint design would make it fairly easy to steal. And making any real mention of it besides very cryptic clues would also give away it's location to any not-so-good people looking to make use of it. So being the rich person he was, he put the design in the buildings of his expo, which nobody would expect, and then left it for his son to discover when he grew old enough (and technology advanced enough) to understand and produce it.

That's my take on it anyways. It doesn't explain what it is though.

person427

May 28, 2009
I'm hoping that this hint of Submariner and the hint of Dr. Strange in Thor are suggesting that after the big Avengers movie, they're gonna start working on a Defenders set of movies. And maybe a movie version of the multi-issue cross-book epic, Avengers vs. Defenders.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
BP? If he is going to be in the avengers/get his own movie I can only say two words ok three
HELL FLIPPING YES!

So far they movies building up to the avengers have been at least good if not great, so I don't see how the avengers movie could be terrible.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Thank god for wikis. I wouldn't understand half of the things in this article if not for those databases.

Also: Absolutely agree with your assessment of Iron Man 2. I found it kind of boring back before I had seen Thor or Cap but now that its many allusions to these inter-continuity films have been made more obvious, it's suddenly become far more relevant.

Ramzal

Jun 24, 2011
I really really hope you are doing the "I know something you don't know" move there, Bob. Because if you aren't you don't know all too much about the Avengers or Marvel x_x. And yes. That was vibranium that Tony was fooling with in Iron Man 2.

And no. It has nothing to do with the infinity cube.

Monkey King

Mar 29, 2010
In regards to Vibrainium; the rare metal (and possible Celestial afterbirth) comes in two forms. Wakandan Vibranium absorbs any vibration, while Antarctic Vibranium causes metals to melt by generating vibrations. Did Stark know of all this. IS the new element Tony 'remade' Vibrainium