The Lost Vikings Join The Heroes of The Storm

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Lost Vikings Join The Heroes of The Storm

The Lost Vikings are quite unique, being three separate entities that can be controlled independently.

The Lost Vikings are back! Hardcore Blizzard fans will remember the troublesome trio of Olaf, Baleog and Erik from at Blizzcon [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Vikings], and now they have been released for the game's closed beta.

The vikings are a pretty unique "hero", not just for Heroes but for MOBAs in general. Each viking can move, attack, and be killed separately, and will also receive individual respawn timers upon their deaths. Players will have to use the activated Talent hotkeys "1", "2", and "3" to select and control the Vikings individually, or press the "4" key to guide them as a group - which brings a bigger element of RTS to the game.

Additionally, The Lost Vikings start without any basic abilities and function a bit differently from standard heroes. Players will instead choose to unlock extra abilities by selecting various Talents throughout the duration of the match.

If you've never experienced the original The Lost Vikings, you can actually download and play it for free via the account management page [https://us.battle.net/account/management/].

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/17906505/the-lost-vikings-hero-week-2-10-2015]

kuiper

Jul 30, 2013
i have always wanted to play the lost vikings game since i was a kid, thanks for the heads up so i can now.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Holy shit, yes! I'm so happy about this!

One of the main reasons I started to hate League of Legends (which I played because my friends are all cheapskates who only play free games XD) was that almost every champion was the same or a slight deviation of the same. Mana, or the "Basically Mana" Energy and Rage, a set of abilites or two sets that are switched between.

Really boring shit, but Heroes is just making me happy with each character. Characters like this sound AMAZING for people who aren't all that great at the traditional hero duelling but are good at positioning and RTS style stuff, an easy gate way from RTS style games. There's also characters that are really unique like Abathor, Murky with his lovely throw yourself at the enemy repeatedly style, Mrs Siege McTankus with the set-up features and now this!

Also, can I just note I love the way Heroes incorporates all elements of the game into each character. For example, a lot of characters have unique mounts, from an instant teleport but no speed bonus, a blink, an instant shift to a different wolf form and all that.

Yay for Heroes and yay for Vikings.

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
It seems like Blizzard is going more DOTA2 than League in terms of making more unique, free-form heroes. I approve.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Oh man. If Kyle Blackthorne is announced, I may actually have to get in on this. The chance to play as Kyle and/or the Vikings in a modern game is too great to pass up.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
=O
Oh my I didn't know how much I missed these guys in my life till I saw that video. I might actually play heros of the storm, if nothing else I'll certainly be playing lost vikings.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I really like the way that they are going with HotS. There are actually some unique heroes in the game that look interesting and different to play. I'll be damned if I find anything like this, Murky or Abathur in League.

Next up on the Hero release schedule: Sylvanas Windrunner, at least unless they pull the rug from under our feet with another hero.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
So, if they are mining old properties... does this mean Blackthorne will be a hero? Or maybe some characters from Rock n Roll racing?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
If you've never experienced the original The Lost Vikings, you can actually download and play it for free via the account management page [https://us.battle.net/account/management/].
Top bar > Games & Codes > Download Clients

Specifically, https://us.battle.net/account/management/download/

I had a difficult time finding it at first.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
1) MUH NOSTALGIA!

Oh gods I had fun with this game as a kid

2) I think this concept of a multi-character MOBA hero is really interesting and inovative. Congratz to the devs who came up with the idea

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Rituro said:
Oh man. If Kyle Blackthorne is announced, I may actually have to get in on this. The chance to play as Kyle and/or the Vikings in a modern game is too great to pass up.
Blackthorne...Yes!
Or hell, include someone from Rock and Roll Racing. Drop 'em in a racer, make 'em a good hit-and-run sort of choice...

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Scrythe said:
Steven Bogos said:
Top bar > Games & Codes > Download Clients

Specifically, https://us.battle.net/account/management/download/

I had a difficult time finding it at first.
Bah, I don't have access to it, what a bunch of cud :(

Captcha: more cowbell

theNater

Feb 11, 2011
Wuvlycuddles said:
So, if they are mining old properties... does this mean Blackthorne will be a hero? Or maybe some characters from Rock n Roll racing?
The HotS devs are aware that fans are interested in these things. So it's certainly possible.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
The main issue with Kyle Blackthorne in HOTS is finding something unique and interesting to do with him, the way I see it. he's most infamous for his shotgun, and Jim Raynor is already a human figure with a ranged weapon that has knockback on one of its abilities.

The 'Commander Raynor' skin doesn't make finding his niche any easier, either...

http://media.heroesnexus.com/attachments/1/778/commander-raynor-default.png

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
This was already hinted in the Sky Temple loading screen a while back with four 'known' characters fighting a monster while the Lost Vikings were the mysterious 'fifth' hero in the game.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Absolutionis said:
This was already hinted in the Sky Temple loading screen a while back with four 'known' characters fighting a monster while the Lost Vikings were the mysterious 'fifth' hero in the game.
They weren't so much 'mysterious'...most anyone can ID them, they're rather distinctive. The real surprise was 'wait so soon', I think.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
Say if they are going to work Rock n Roll Racing into it, it would be as a map.
Maybe it's set in the center of a race track and the objective of the map involves changing the direction of the course to have the racers drive all over the enemy base, doing damage to every hero they run over.
Like Blackhearts Bay, but instead of targeting buildings, it targets heroes inside their base.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Absolutionis said:
Or, y'know, when they straight-up said they were working on them at BlizzCon.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Don't care much about HotS one way or the other, but the idea of a MOBA "hero" who consists of multiple independent characters is quite an interesting one.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Aeshi said:
Don't care much about HotS one way or the other, but the idea of a MOBA "hero" who consists of multiple independent characters is quite an interesting one.
To be fair, this isn't the first time it's been done. DotA, for instance, has Meepo, who consists of multiple copies of the same unit. But unlike the Lost Vikings, Meepo has his own abilities, only becomes able to split at level 6, the copies are weaker than the original, and if one of the copies dies, so do the rest.*

*It's been nearly a decade since I played DotA, so I might not have the details quite right, and/or things might have changed.