The Ma'khia Bryant shooting

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Yeah, cop really didn’t help here. There for a half dozen seconds during which he kills the kid who called him because she decided to take the fight into her own hands. And honestly this seems more like the cop showing up emboldened her to chase them off while it also started the fight off. Dude isn’t criminally liable, but Christ this is still bad.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Seems like the cop did what he was supposed too here. I mean there is always the possibility of a better outcome but considering the situation it really looks like it would have been worse if the cop hadn't reacted as quickly as he did.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Yeah, cop really didn’t help here. There for a half dozen seconds during which he kills the kid who called him because she decided to take the fight into her own hands. And honestly this seems more like the cop showing up emboldened her to chase them off while it also started the fight off. Dude isn’t criminally liable, but Christ this is still bad.
In the cops defense in full fairness, I haven't read that he was in direct contact with the girl and was up to date on the full situation. The 911 call basically says the woman is in danger and feels threatened and is going to find a knife to defend herself. The cop has no clue if the person with the knife is the girl protecting herself, or if its changed hands or if the situation has changed so that she's an aggressor now.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
May not be criminally liable but NBA star Lebron James has been encouraging people to go after him on twitter until he deleted his tweet in the end after being called out again and again over it.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
In the cops defense in full fairness, I haven't read that he was in direct contact with the girl and was up to date on the full situation. The 911 call basically says the woman is in danger and feels threatened and is going to find a knife to defend herself. The cop has no clue if the person with the knife is the girl protecting herself, or if its changed hands or if the situation has changed so that she's an aggressor now.
I mean if the dude knew he was entering into an active dispute and the one who called was defending herself with a knife he sure did fuck up by shooting her. He also could’ve seen her exit the door, though he’ll obviously testify he didn’t. There’s no world where he’s criminally liable but this is still fucked on the police department’s side. She called the cops to help her and they killed her.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
May not be criminally liable but NBA star Lebron James has been encouraging people to go after him on twitter until he deleted his tweet in the end after being called out again and again over it.
Damn, real tragedy here for the cop. Very sad he’s getting harassed because his dumb ass shot a kid. Regardless of his criminal intent or liability, he went into a scenario and blundered his way into a dead teenager who he was called to protect. Even if it was an honest mistake, which it probably was, that’s a pretty massive fuckup.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And I should point out pistols are horrifically inaccurate. The conceal/carry trainer at the Krav Maga place I trained at in the BEFORE TIMES was a Expert level pistol marksman, which means at 20 feet he can hit a target 75% of the time.
That might be one of the least true takes on pistol marksmanship I've ever heard.

At 20 feet an "expert" level marksman should be able to hit a man sized target 100% of the time without the need to even aim down the sights. I can do that and I am far and away not an expert level marksman. In fact, at 20 feet (7 yards) I'm pretty sure I could hit a man size target with 75% accuracy while blindfolded.

Hell, I've seen people who also aren't expert level marksmen hit targets with a pistol out to 100 yards off a bench rest.

Pistols aren't as accurate as rifles, but pretty much any pistol is more accurate than the person shooting it.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
That might be one of the least true takes on pistol marksmanship I've ever heard.

At 20 feet an "expert" level marksman should be able to hit a man sized target 100% of the time without the need to even aim down the sights. I can do that and I am far and away not an expert level marksman. In fact, at 20 feet (7 yards) I'm pretty sure I could hit a man size target with 75% accuracy while blindfolded.

Hell, I've seen people who also aren't expert level marksmen hit targets with a pistol out to 100 yards off a bench rest.

Pistols aren't as accurate as rifles, but pretty much any pistol is more accurate than the person shooting it.
I mean not according to the National Guard, where he is an instructor.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I mean if the dude knew he was entering into an active dispute and the one who called was defending herself with a knife he sure did fuck up by shooting her. He also could’ve seen her exit the door, though he’ll obviously testify he didn’t. There’s no world where he’s criminally liable but this is still fucked on the police department’s side. She called the cops to help her and they killed her.
Has this claim that she was the one who called the cops been corroborated at all? I'm seeing different reports thst it was someone else who made the call.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Damn, real tragedy here for the cop. Very sad he’s getting harassed because his dumb ass shot a kid. Regardless of his criminal intent or liability, he went into a scenario and blundered his way into a dead teenager who he was called to protect. Even if it was an honest mistake, which it probably was, that’s a pretty massive fuckup.
So is trying to stab an unarmed person in front of witnesses.

That's even assuming the girl with the knife was the onewho needed help and not the one in the sweater.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Thank you for reminding me (being genuine here).

LeBron James can fuck off, you hypocritical twat! "Misinformed" about the Hong Kong protests and the abusive government my ass. All of sudden police brutality doesn't matter if the person ain't black, or more likely, when it effects your money and bottom fucking line. So I don't want to hear the shit that comes out your fucking mouth!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

LeBron James can fuck off, you hypocritical twat! "Misinformed" about the Hong Kong protests and the abusive government my ass. All of sudden police brutality doesn't matter if the person ain't black, or more likely, when it effects your money and bottom fucking line. So I don't want to hear the shit that comes out your fucking mouth!

Huh, hadn't read about that before.

Is headdesking still a thing? Cause, c'mon.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
3. Manual disarming. I spent ten years learning a martial art that was all about locking up joints and restraining and I can tell you controlling a knife the second most terrifying situation you can encounter.
Underlining mine. The most terrifying situation is encountering a spider during the approach, I'm assuming.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

A good rule of thumb is to ignore anything political entertainment celebrities post online that doesn't provide constructive resolutions to society concerns. It's not to say I don't appreciate the occasional note of solidarity, but I can tell you right now actually refusing to play had a whole more impact from sports celebrities than posting angry tweets.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A good rule of thumb is to ignore anything entertainment celebrities post online that doesn't provide constructive resolutions to society concerns.
I appreciate the advice. And I do follow that rule, but when hypocrisy is that obvious, I can't help, but get angry and call it out for what it is. LeBron James I was neutral towards way before this. I didn't hate the guy, but I didn't exactly love him and just let him do his own thing. After this, I don't want to hear crap about him fighting for the rights of others, if he can't follow through on his own views.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
He probably means 75% in the "dead zone" on a man sized target, which is roughly equivalent to the inner rings on a competitive shooting target. At 20 feet even a relative amateur should be able to hit within the outer ring of a competitive target and inside the humanoid outline of a military/law enforcement target. Pistols are pretty inaccurate past 60 feet or so, but as Dirty Hipster points out a decent shooter can still reliably hit targets further out.
I mean absolutely, but like 51% is technically reliable. I'm not saying people can't be pretty damn accurate given what a pistol is, but a pistol is still the least accurate type of firearm we have, and police are trained to just unload the clip because of that.
so this poor girl getting 4 rounds into her, those shots were fired because the cop had no idea of any of them were gonna hit.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Underlining mine. The most terrifying situation is encountering a spider during the approach, I'm assuming.
You're half right, its attempting to manually disarm a knife wielding funnel web spider......no but in all seriousness its the firearm disarming that's the most terrifying. Unlikely as shit in my country, but not impossible as an occurrence.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
...and police are trained to just unload the clip because of that.
Cops aren't trained to dump their clip because of pistol accuracy. They're trained to unload because the presumption is that if a firearm is drawn and used, they're in a life-or-death situation, and the objective is no longer to neutralize a target, but instead kill them. This is one area in which we're still stuck in mid-'90s insanity, because since then +P, hollowpoint, and center post rounds have become more or less standard among police forces and training methods haven't kept apace.

Your run of the mill, 115 or 124 grain, 9mm FMJ round just doesn't have a whole lot of stopping power. They're great for (over) penetration, but when it comes to transferring force to a target or deforming, they fall short; meaning, they're likely to go through-and-through and cause a less-severe wound than even smaller calibers. Shot placement is always king, but in an emergent situation against a moving target you can't count on proper shot placement, nor on accurate follow-up shots, so the first shot (which you're going to be aiming center-mass) has to have maximum chance of putting your target down. When you start talking about those dinky 9mm rounds that were the rage in the early to mid-'90s, yeah you keep shooting until the target's down, and if that takes the entire clip it takes the entire clip - and it may damn well.

Here we are thirty years later, and we have far more lethal 9mm rounds on the market than we did at the point LEO started transitioning to semi-auto, 9mm, nationwide. But, they still train as if they're using those rounds.

Cops are trained to take follow-up shots regardless, but that's not a cop thing. That's an everyone thing, all the way from special forces to your everyday dipshit who puts in the range time praying to god it never comes in handy. Even when I put in my range time (something I haven't had the chance to do since COVID) I do Mozambique drills, and my round of choice is 135-gr JHP.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Here we are thirty years later, and we have far more lethal 9mm rounds on the market than we did at the point LEO started transitioning to semi-auto, 9mm, nationwide. But, they still train as if they're using those rounds.
They actually may very well be using those rounds. They bought shitloads of them in bulk, and small departments that don't do as much training actually may still the using the bullets they bought in bulk.

Also, a lot of police departments use military surplus ammo, which I believe are old school FMJs.

Reactions: Leg End