The Ma'khia Bryant shooting

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You're half right, its attempting to manually disarm a knife wielding funnel web spider......no but in all seriousness its the firearm disarming that's the most terrifying. Unlikely as shit in my country, but not impossible as an occurrence.
Well... shit is pretty likely in Oz

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

That's how this whole thing started? Arguing over making sure the house is clean? Why the hell did this argument require a knife? I really have no other responses to this.

Reactions: Leg End

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

That's how this whole thing started? Arguing over making sure the house is clean? Why the hell did this argument require a knife? I really have no other responses to this.
I daresay a significant proportion of unpremeditated assaults and murders happen over something really stupid and petty.

Hell, people get killed for not turning their phones off at the movies, or having annoying ring tones.

Reactions: Leg End

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Well, yes. Most (non-drug related) killings are arguments over unimportant things that spiral out of control.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I daresay a significant proportion of unpremeditated assaults and murders happen over something really stupid and petty.

Hell, people get killed for not turning their phones off at the movies, or having annoying ring tones.
Well, yes. Most (non-drug related) killings are arguments over unimportant things that spiral out of control.

It's infuriating! I still don't blame the cop nor am I mad at him. I'm pissed, because there's plenty that should have been done, and the fact the adults that were there, sat around and did nothing. The foster sister that was attacked that did not want to do the cleaning is probably gonna have a guilt complex now for the rest of her life. All because she refused to clean. Bryant did not need the knife at all, and if what is said is true, could have just done cleaning herself or tell the foster mom, what her foster sister didn't do and why. All of this could have and should have been avoided in so many ways!

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It's infuriating! I still don't blame the cop nor am I mad at him. I'm pissed, because there's plenty that should have been done, and the fact the adults that were there, sat around and did nothing. The foster sister that was attacked that did not want to do the cleaning is probably gonna have a guilt complex now for the rest of her life. All because she refused to clean. Bryant did not need the knife at all, and if what is said is true, could have just done cleaning herself or tell the foster mom, what her foster sister didn't do and why. All of this could have and should have been avoided in so many ways!
There’s an expression, “From little things, big things grow”. And it’s true for misery as well happiness, as this tragedy ably demonstrates.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I think everyone in this country could use some de-escalation training. There's something in the American mindset that goes "if you back down, you're weak, and you should want to die rather than show weakness".

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
They actually may very well be using those rounds. They bought shitloads of them in bulk, and small departments that don't do as much training actually may still the using the bullets they bought in bulk.
Depending on jurisdiction, considering there are few if any standards, and those that are exist on lower levels than federal. It's my understanding most departments use hollowpoint for duty, regardless whether they train with cheaper rounds -- extremely common as there's no perceptible difference in ballistics at pistol range.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Nobody's looking good in this story, nobody should be being stabbed over housekeeping. What the hell is that? Who does this? And it was a 16 year old? Where's the guardians? What were they doing letting her wield knives? This was outside a house, not in some gang alley.

And the cop went from "hey guys what's going on here" to "bang bang bang" in like half a second, you should be able to have an in-between. Maybe elbow the girl to the ground? Something has to be doable beyond just wasting her like that.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Natural culmination of gang mentality, really 🤷‍♂️

Knives are deadly weapons, not something to be wielded on a whim or to feel strong about oneself.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think everyone in this country could use some de-escalation training. There's something in the American mindset that goes "if you back down, you're weak, and you should want to die rather than show weakness".
Pretty much yeah. Generations of societal and media conditioning to see everything as a competition, and that if you lose, you will be openly mocked and ridiculed by those around you. What's that movie quote? "America loves a winner, and will not tolerate a loser." We had a president who loved to talk down to any of his critics, by calling them a loser, it was his most favorite insult, unless they were female, and then it was she was "nasty."

But that's what you get in a society designed for maximum competition, both socially and economically.

Entire subcultures of US revolved around lionizing power and dominance, it's no wonder we have people who don't know when to just let something go.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Natural culmination of gang mentality, really 🤷‍♂️

Knives are deadly weapons, not something to be wielded on a whim or to feel strong about oneself.
It was a family dispute, not a fucking gang war. What the fuck does gang mentality have to do with anything?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
It was a family dispute, not a fucking gang war. What the fuck does gang mentality have to do with anything?
General glorification of knives within that kind of culture seems to be rubbing off on lots of people lately.

Not saying that the people involved in the incident were actively part of the culture.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
General glorification of knives within that kind of culture seems to be rubbing off on lots of people lately.

Not saying that the people involved in the incident were actively part of the culture.
Yeah, it’s modern street gangs that are known for their glorification of knives. Knife culture run amok.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

The last time I saw knife fighting glorified in a gang-culture way was in the video for Michael Jackson's Beat It.

Reactions: Revnak and BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

The knife is not typically the weapon of choice for gangs in America. That would be a pistol. Knives probably get used in these kinds of disputes because even the most poverty stricken of households is gonna have a couple of them for kitchen work.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The last time I saw knife fighting glorified in a gang-culture way was in the video for Michael Jackson's Beat It.
Last time I saw one was from a kid (17-18 at the time) at an old job of mine, who thought he was a hard little thug, and whipped it out and pretended like he was going to gut me. And when I didn't fight the kid, because we had a disagreement, one of the gangsta girls who was in his circle of friends, upon hearing what happened, mocked me for being scared, instead of just being a "hard man" and fighting him. So I wouldn't say it's not without SOME place in the gang culture, because he sure as hell wanted to seem like he was in one, and she was very much in that culture as well. There is definitely an undertone of "everything is a competition of dominance, and if you don't win, you're a punk ass ***** little cuck pussy" mentality to our society. I've had coworkers get pissed off at the most ridiculous things, that they turned into some overblown "attack on their masculinity" , even down to simply using their last name on a form, that they turned into an insult. I'm not kidding, an old coworker of mine, his last name is Walker. Our job, when clients would sign in, allowed them to mark the name of the counselor they wanted to see, if they wanted someone specific. Usually first names were used, but sometimes the client would write Mr. X or Mrs. X. No big deal. But, for SOME reason, he blew the fuck up because someone wrote Walker in that spot. And, this is HIS reason for why he was angry, "Calling someone Walker is an insult when you're in the Army, that's what you call a Private, because Private's have to walk everywhere. Ok?! I'm not a Private! I did my time I was a (whatever the fuck rank he was I forget), ALLRIGHT!? I will NOT be disrespected like that!!"

That actually happened. I wouldn't say he was "gang" culture, but he was definitely of the "Must be hard at all times, and ANY slight is a disrespect, and respect is EVERYTHING!, and if I feel I'm disrespected I have to attack the source in the most confrontational manner possible!" kind of mentality that persists in our society.

So I don't think it's knives specifically, it's the "attack all slights and insults with maximum aggression" which easily translates to "so I'm going to grab a knife and gut someone" in a lot of people's minds.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Nobody's looking good in this story, nobody should be being stabbed over housekeeping. What the hell is that? Who does this? And it was a 16 year old? Where's the guardians? What were they doing letting her wield knives? This was outside a house, not in some gang alley.

And the cop went from "hey guys what's going on here" to "bang bang bang" in like half a second, you should be able to have an in-between. Maybe elbow the girl to the ground? Something has to be doable beyond just wasting her like that.
"The supreme court decided some time ago that as a police officer you're justified in using force one increment up from the force you are facing. You don't have to wait for a little resistance to turn into a lot of resistance. In other words, you don't have to fight fair. You are legally entitled to give worse than you get.

Generally speaking this means that if someone threatens to fight you it's appropriate to spray them with pepper spray. If someone shoves you, you may hit them. If someone punches you, you may respond with your baton. If someone goes for a knife, you don't try to roundhouse kick it out of their hands, you go for your gun.

The reason for this one increment up approach is simple; anyone who decides to fight with the police is automatically dangerous. The police have to win that fight and you don't win that fight by being tentative or defensive. So it's I'll advised to punch your opponent and then step back and study the effects of your punch. It's bad practice to get in a boxing match."

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
"The supreme court decided some time ago that as a police officer you're justified in using force one increment up from the force you are facing. You don't have to wait for a little resistance to turn into a lot of resistance. In other words, you don't have to fight fair. You are legally entitled to give worse than you get.

Generally speaking this means that if someone threatens to fight you it's appropriate to spray them with pepper spray. If someone shoves you, you may hit them. If someone punches you, you may respond with your baton. If someone goes for a knife, you don't try to roundhouse kick it out of their hands, you go for your gun.

The reason for this one increment up approach is simple; anyone who decides to fight with the police is automatically dangerous. The police have to win that fight and you don't win that fight by being tentative or defensive. So it's I'll advised to punch your opponent and then step back and study the effects of your punch. It's bad practice to get in a boxing match."
I believe Sean Connery called it, 'The Chicago Way'.

The escalation to firearm when faced with a knife is a logical one; in fact in a distance of less than....I think its like thirty feet....the knife is still very dangerous because an average person can cover that distance in the time it typically takes someone to draw, aim and fire a weapon. On the other hand answering bluff sailor's talk with mace seems needlessly like escalatio.