The Making of the Halo 3: ODST Live Action Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Making of the Halo 3: ODST Live Action Trailer

Impressed by the Halo 3: ODST [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/h/halo3odst/] live-action trailer? Check out the new "making of" video and I guarantee you'll be even more blown away by how much work went into this thing.

It's an awesome trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31DvXIlnvQ0&feature=video_response]. Hell, it's one of the finest bits of gamer-centric advertising I've ever seen and that's coming from someone who has minimal knowledge of, and even less interest in, the Halo franchise. Not because of the action sequences, which were solid but hardly revolutionary, but for the way it followed the growth of a boy to a man, to an ODST. It was a smart angle - and it seemed so real.

Of course, realism is in the cards when you hire Academy award-winning costume designers and the team who created the Alien and the Terminator to make your costumes, props and enemies, and when you film on location in places like the bottom of a strip mine or the inside of a cooling tower of an active nuclear power plant. The filmmakers even hired real-life Hungarian special forces soldiers to serve as drill instructors in the video.

It's an awful lot of effort for a glorified ad, but it's hard to argue with the results. And how much did all this cost, you may ask? No idea, but you better believe it didn't come cheaply. At 60 bucks a pop [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92396-Microsoft-Defends-Halo-3-ODST-Pricing], though, I suppose Microsoft can afford to blow some green on stuff like this.

via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=224601?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
I actually can't believe the work that went into the 30 seconds (if that) advertisment, now im not a huge Halo Fan but i loved it.

For some reason i actually want a Halo film* now just because that advertisement was awesome.

[small]*Don't hate me[/small]

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Zenode said:
I actually can't believe the work that went into the 30 seconds (if that) advertisment, now im not a huge Halo Fan but i loved it.

For some reason i actually want a Halo film* now just because that advertisement was awesome.

[small]*Don't hate me[/small]
no I agree with you
I know a lotta people hate the idea of a Halo film because of the bad rep of video game films (that, and the lack of "originality" as MovieBob points out)
but from what we've seen, as long as they keep Bungie's level of care and respect to the work at hand...it can be pretty awesome

I just wish they'd do the same to all the Star Wars spin-offs

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Holy shit! I wasn't aware of fact, that this was made in Hungary. I recoiled when I heard the guys shouting in Hungarian on screen, just wow.

Well, I'm happy that more and more good stuff comes from my home country. With any luck, we will make a full, live action Halo movie. Now, that will put us on the map for good :)

Conveant0

Feb 4, 2009
Playbahnosh said:
Holy shit! I wasn't aware of fact, that this was made in Hungary. I recoiled when I heard the guys shouting in Hungarian on screen, just wow.

Well, I'm happy that more and more good stuff comes from my home country. With any luck, we will make a full, live action Halo movie. Now, that will put us on the map for good :)
Putting the trailer in a different language improved it in my opinion, it served it's purpose to emphasise the hectic & fast paced situation the ODST was going through, the only words spoken are shouted orders from commanding officers and could easily drowned out in your own mind to focus on getting through that situation.

I ended up buying an Xbox because of Gears of Wars Mad World trailer, I'm sure I'd of done the same thing if I'd of seen this one first.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Malygris said:
It's an awful lot of effort for a glorified ad, but it's hard to argue with the results.
Does anyone know the most money put into any sort of video? I'm not talking about money spent on timeslots just to put it on tv. Just the money put into its actual development.

Without taking movies into account, I think Michael Jackson's Thriller might be it.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Conveant0 said:
Playbahnosh said:
I ended up buying an Xbox because of Gears of Wars Mad World trailer, I'm sure I'd of done the same thing if I'd of seen this one first.
Holy crap! You too!? I did the same thing haha.

Anyways this trailer is pretty impressive and incredible. Doesn't matter if your a Halo fan or not it's still amazing.

I want a Halo movie and I'm not ashamed to admit it.