The many breeds of hater, which one are you?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
In my time here at the Escapist I've noticed that most haters fall into a few specific categories. I have decided to name them and ask you which one you think best fits you're style of hating.

1)The "golden age" hater

This is the breed that believes every new game is a brown people, shooty bang bang Micheal Bay movie. They long for the older days of gaming where everything was difficult and nobody but there kind liked the precious hobby known as gaming.
Most hated games: Pretty much anything new. They only like retro throwbacks and the latest Nintendo franchise title.

2)The bandwagon hater

These one's I notice very often. They normally want to be seen as cool in internet forums so they hate on the latest thing there is to hate. Which right now seems to be MW3, but if it were earlier it would of been Dragon Age 2 and even earlier it would of been the Wii. They don't really know much about the thing's there hating on and just want to fit in with the crowd and avoided the shunning that comes from liking something that is on the hating bandwagon.
Most hated games: It varies, they forget about one game and move onto hating another so specifying what games they hate the most is hard.

3)The "just because it's popular" hater

This breed is very similar to the bandwagon hater. But with one main difference, they hate on anything that is popular. Saying that the popular games are ruining the industry and milking gamers money dry. Most times they hate on games they wont of played, but because more than their niche section will buy it it means it's bad.
Most Hated Games: CoD, Sports games

4)The troll

Im sure you've heard of these people, you probably have even come across them yourself. The troll seeks to not make insightful critisicms of games/game companies flaws. They only seem to want to get hateful responses. They normally hate on the games 2 and 3 play, ones that are known in gaming as being glorious amazing perfect games.
Most hated games: Any Valve game, any loved Nintendo game (Mario 3, OOT), any classic retro game. They also sometimes hate on popular services such as steam.

5)The cynical snob.

Main examples of this type are seen in many internet celebrities. They normally dont play multiplayer and love only the most perfect, influencal games of the generation. They dismiss war games and prefer games that give you experiences. Any game flaw will be pointed out by them, and they will do it in such a snark and cynical tone that it becomes a bit hard to take them seriously. Prime examples of the type being: Yahtzee, Total Biscuit, some Yogscast videos.

6)The biased, hypocritical hater.

Prime example: Read above.

So, what fits you most and if you can think of any, what would they be?

Retronana

Nov 27, 2010
I generally only really go ape-shit on a game when there are pissy fanboys to annoy, so troll for me. There's normally not much point in bandwagon hating as people are just going to buy what they want, I can't stop them buying over-done rubbish but I sure has hell can get a few laughs out of them.

Valkraye

Oct 27, 2008
What about the hater who hates things that he hates?

By that convuluted mess of a sentence I mean someone who dislikes a game because he has played it and found it to be terrible. Or cannot see why it was such a large success? I do hate some games, some bigger name games, but it is not out of a psychological need to "troll" or out of nostalgia for the golden age, but because I have played and found said game very much wanting.

When I've played a game and loathed the experience, you better believe it is going to receive hate.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I would classify myself as a Regular troll.

I told my friends...
Soap dies in MW3
and I get a lot of flame for it.

For some reason, I enjoyed it. :3

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
sravankb said:
None.

I tend not to "hate" an entertainment product. I feel like hate is too strong a word for games, movies, or music. None of these have ever done something to me personally, so I can only dislike them.

I gotta be honest, though - this website seems to have an overabundance of number 5 / 6 - type haters, and oh boy, do they get annoying.
I actually see a larger mixture of 3 and 5. I see 4 quite often, and 6 only really comes up when someone is making a crap argument for their original hatery.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
im going to go with the 'golden age' hater because i usually hate on games since the elder versions of the genre did it MUCH better with less advanced technology.

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
I know I shouldn't, but I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

OP, I find your lack of grammar disturbing..

Immortal_Engines

Aug 6, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
I would classify myself as a Regular troll.

I told my friends...
Soap dies in MW3
and I get a lot of flame for it.

For some reason, I enjoyed it. :3
AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRHJ

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Sarpedon said:

10 time doesnt do that to people. And because it grammar is bad I not or yes not do change to OP. You disturb at grammar is understand but i say I am not bother fix grammar since you still read.

thelastmccabe

Jun 23, 2011
This was a really funny post. I usually don't post about what I hate because I dunno I just don't care enough. But I'm probably a # 3 guy. For example, I sort of want Skyrim to be bad just so I can watch these boards go crazy. I tend to only read the threads saying how crappy it's going to be. I guess it's some kind of schadenfreude. I totally had to look that up to make sure I was spelling and using schadenfreude correctly. And did you guys know that in German, all nouns are capitalized? Just saw that on wikipedia. Crazy.

It could be that my problem with Skyrim is that I'm just jealous b/c I'm determined not to buy it until i can get a GOTY version on a fast PC.

I'm also a bit of a # 1 guy, but not to any extreme.

You are right though, # 2 is by far the most common.

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
Sarpedon said:

10 time doesnt do that to people. And because it grammar is bad I not or yes not do change to OP. You disturb at grammar is understand but i say I am not bother fix grammar since you still read.
Yeah, but WHO WAS PHONE?

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Im a troll for sure, nothing is sweater then the tears of Valve fanboys when they're told Half-Life is not the end all be all

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I bit of each I guess, depending on the game. I definitely feel older games are more engaging, but it doesn't have to do with age as much as mechanics. A game with simple mechanics can still be engaging (plants vs zombies) but in well defined genres, making a shooter feel linear doesn't make me like it more.

I certainly hate things when they are popular, but it's a lot because when something is popular, it calls for harder scrutiny. Not everything mainstream fails this for me, but games like Modern Warfare and Halo have gained much popularity that I feel is undeserved. They are merely average games, so the popularity makes me state them as terrible games, just to make up for the difference. Worse still is when other games with perfectly good concepts behind them are then dumbed down just to be more like Halo and CoD. This may not be an intentional consequence of Halo and CoD, but I feel I can still lay the blame on them.

Which leaves me being a cynic now. It's hard to care about anything at all anymore because it just isn't going to live up to the games I used to play, because those games are no longer profitable.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
To be honest, I'd say the hate on dragon age 2 was more Golden age hate, or even just the unmentioned generic 'betrayed' fanboy hate.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the hate came from the whole big change from what they like to what they don't like. Or even just the fact there was a change. The term 'sell out' was thrown around a lot. It's the same hate the new XCOM and possibly Max Payne will get.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
it's funny how your little tag is "your local CoD defender", and you go on to specifically name MW3 as one of the games that is a "victim" of these haters.

It seems to me as if you're just trying to stereotype people that disagree with you, just because their opinion isn't the same as yours. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike CoD, and that's before you even bring "personal preference" into the argument.

Yeah, some people don't like the games you like. That does not make them stupid, it does not make them biased, and it does not mean that they are jumping on a bandwagon. Grow up, and accept that people like different things, instead of writing out hate speeches against people that disagree with your opinions.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I don't see the option for anything that implies that I dislike games based on an actual developed opinion. Also bias is naturally defined by personal preference and hypocrisy has nothing to do with cynicism or elitism, so that last stab at game reviewers that apparently offend you for some reason makes no sense.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
1+5

Games get dumbed down for the console crowd + cynical at pointing ot how they have been dumbed down.
And yes, CoD is among them. Thanks to droves of kiddies buying CoD the publishers have realized that they don't have to care about story, wide levels or presenting a challenge as the current generation of gamers don't care about such things as long as tehre are pretty explosions and feel good patriotism in it.