The many breeds of hater, which one are you?

world_of_dragons

Mar 20, 2009
Well, to be perfectly honest I usually end up shying away from the next 'It' game since things that are overly popular tends to get done and milked to death and also attracts idiots.

Think of them as a fad. Most people play this game because it's the new gaming fad and once it dies out, everyone will ridicule the few that stick for it after the fad dies.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I hate things worthy of hate.

I don't hate stuff because it's popular to hate it. A lot of things are popular because they're good, like BioShock.

I don't love stuff because it's popular. Millions of people can all be dead wrong at the same time. I hate Mass Effect. Terribly boring games.

I don't hate on stuff to mess with people. That's stupid. Like, extra bonus stupid.

I don't hate old stuff. I love the hell out of my SNES.

I don't hate new stuff. Gods know I have waaaay too many Steam games.

I like dumb games where stuff explodes, like Borderlands.

I love expansive games where I can explore like the Assassin's Creed series, Fallout series, or Arcanum:Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura.

I love linear games that tell a good story, like Uncharted 2:Among Thieves, or Metal Gear Solid 4:Guns Of The Patriots.

I love simple games like Mario where I go left or right and jump on peoples' heads.

I love stupidly complex games like Armored Core where by all rights you actually need 2 more fingers on each hand to play it.

I love seemingly simple games that are incredibly deep, like Team Fortress 2.

I love elegant games, like Okami or Shadow Of The Colossus.

I love killing zombies in Left 4 Dead 2, Atom Zombie Smasher and Dead Island.

I love games where I can build stuff, like Roller Coaster Tycoon, Age Of Empires, or Minecraft.

I hate grinding. Stupid useless repetitive tasks for no gorram reason. This is why I don't play most MMOs. I do NOT play games to be bored out of my skull.

I love games that make me think in complex ways, like Portal.

I don't like games that are so easy you can't possibly lose and there's no point in playing, like Prototype.

I don't like games that are deliberately designed to be so hard that you have to have almost superhuman skill to play them.

I don't like games where you can't jump high enough to get where you're expected to go with out a reasonable margin of error, like Chuck Rock.

I don't like games where you can jump 30 feet in the air for no damn reason, like Halo.

I don't like console shooters because the controls are terribad, like....EVERY CONSOLE SHOOTER EVER.

I don't like platformers on PCs because the controls just don't work, like Megaman.

I don't like games that get so obsessed with realism that they forget to be fun, like I hear Battlefield 3 is.

I don't like games that rely purely on being pretty as their selling point.

I like games that make creative use of things that I love, like God Of War's use of Greek mythology.

I don't hate movie tie-in games just because they're movie tie-in games. I hate them when they suck. If they're good, sweet! I hear the Captain America game was pretty good. As a Cappy fan, I might get that. I'm told the Iron Man games were horrible. As an Iron Man fan, I'm still not gonna get them.

I don't hate or love things out of brand loyalty, but my brand loyalty tends to come from a logical source. I will never buy a 360. I'm fully willing to accept that XBL is superior to PSN, but the PS3 is superior in every other way. But I'm not a one console guy. Why should I be? The PS3 being superior isn't why I won't buy a 360 (a Wii is inferior to the 360 and I have one of those). No, I can't stand the RROD idiocy. We may FINALLY be beyond the point where it might effect a 360 that I might buy, but all of the countless people that they've ripped off with the RROD continuing on and on and on.... I regard that as criminal. My NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboys, Wii, PS2, PS3, Dreamcast, and even my XBOX are all still in perfect working order. I SHOULD NOT know several people who've had to buy 4 360's. But I do.

I won't hate a game for any of the negatives mentioned above IF it has enough positives to AT LEAST balanced it out to a solid "meh". If it has one horrible downside and nothing but amazing upsides and the game is therefore fun as hell? Yea, that's awesome.

I WILL hate a game if it looks great and has a great soundtrack, and a great concept, and a great engine, but the gameplay makes me want to punch a wall.

I'll love a game if the gameplay is mediocre and the controls are bad, but the story, graphics, sound, acting, concept and execution are phenomenal....like Uncharted 2....

I love fun.

I hate boredom.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I guess I'd be closest to the "Golden Age" one, but frankly that's just because I'm a big fan of action-platformers. I would've rather been around when they were the big thing. I still love my LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted, I just wish I could've been around for the earlier stuff...

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
ElektroNeko said:
I come closest to the "golden age" hater.

But I ain't hating, as long as my old school consoles still work XD
This , i read the golden age hater and suddenly identified myself . I'm stocking up for the gaming apocalypse , so bite me new generation of gamers , have fun with you feshly package pile of shit wrap up in golden gift paper and served on a silver plater, while i play me some zelda 2

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
The troll is the only one out of your examples that I know exists.

The others I feel are just misinterpretations of character of some of individuals OP may have been in conversation with at some point.

Monkeybald

Nov 13, 2010
Golden age hater for me. Except that tends to go away when I actually play the game I'm hating on, and it turns out to have more or less fun things in it.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Ohhi said:
I don't hate I play the games that interst me and leave the rest alone I have no reason to hate on a game that I won't even play.
I guess you're not into shooters.

Just wait until a game of your favourite genre is so amazingly popular that every other alternative is trying to copy it, and you give up hope in gaming. Even if you don't play certain games they do affect you, either directly or indirectly.

I went back to this thread and read the OP once more.

I think the only thing he's trying to do is classify people who don't agree with him as "haters" (a very generic and broad term) so that he can sleep at night.

You know those fans saying Lil' Wayne rocks and call everyone with musical taste "haters"? Same thing.

I think only Epic Meal Time should be allowed to use the word "hater" from now on. It's like calling everyone you don't like a "troll" just because someone schooled you on the internet.

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
Ehm I hate games I don´t like because I don´t like them ....
So I don´t know wich so called "breed" I am. I hate games that´s not doing much for the genré I hate MW2 and BLOPS for this because I don´t think they improved on CoD4 just padded it. On the other hand I like NHL 12 because I like how it improved their motor and gameplay value (I´m not gonna say anything about MW3 because I haven´t played it and will not play it).

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I try to be an equal opportunity hater and MW3 is a classic example of it: it's popular, got a shitty story, got all the brown, dirt, and grime one will need in a lifetime, has an over reliance on multiplayer, it's an M-rated game that is far too popular with the kiddies, and CoD fans are easiest to get riled up.

Also, OP pulled the 6th category out of his ass. Either define the category or merge it with another.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Simon Pettersson said:
So I don´t know wich so called "breed" I am. I hate games that´s not doing much for the genré I hate MW2 and BLOPS for this because I don´t think they improved on CoD4 just padded it. On the other hand I like NHL 12 because I like how it improved their motor and gameplay value (I´m not gonna say anything about MW3 because I haven´t played it and will not play it).
I'd put you down as the cynical snob since you did not forget the accent aigu over the e. [/poor joke]

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
Giest4life said:
Simon Pettersson said:
I'd put you down as the cynical snob since you did not forget the accent aigu over the e. [/poor joke]
Yeah I thought of that after I posted it ;-)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
For the most part, I'm what you describe as 'cynical snob', and what I would describe as 'life form of superior intellect', or simply 'correct'.

(Huh, guess there's a bit of 'troll' in the mix as well. Wheeeee.)

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Cynical Snob.

Although i don't hate war games, i tend to stick to single player (with the exception of my Counter-Strike and WoW periods which each lasted 5 years, one replacing the other). I hate games with bad design, and i can easily dismiss a game even with a great story if the gameplay is rubbish (Dragon Age 2!!). On the other hand, i love games which has solid gameplay and a solid framework, and having a bit of difficulty doesn't go out of the way either as long as it is balanced well.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I am none of these. I'm the hipster hater. I hated hating before it was cool.

On a serious note... I don't think I really DO fall into any of these catagories. If I were to fit into any of them, it'd probably be the bandwagon hater - but only when I can find factual reasons for hating popular things, opposed to "HURR DURR DIDN'T LIKE IT."