The many breeds of hater, which one are you?

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
I'm a troll when it comes to talking to immature fanboys, but normally I'm the "Golden Age" type of dude.

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
Is proud to stand with Yahtzee and the other 'games-are-art-fagmosexuals' (Yahtzee quote) as a cynical snob hater. :D

Voice acting, score, script, and story are all important to a game alongside gameplay. No, I don't care if you think gameplay mechanics can 'save' an otherwise awfully executed game such as Metroid: Other M. Imo, to fully enjoy a game you have to enjoy the whole experience, not just be waiting for the cutscenes to end so you can press buttons. Deal with it.

dagill

Oct 20, 2011
I only hate games that I fell just don't have the effort put into them.

See the MW story line, people jizzing themselves over ever pokemon game, because, you know, aside from the palate swaps, Pokemon Sapphire is so totally different from Pokemon Yellow and worth full price! Also people jizzing themselves over Nintendo games in general.

*edit* So which category do I fall in?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Where is the option for the reasoned individual that doesn't hate but certainly lacks any interest?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
It's not being a hater if I just happen to hate things. I don't fit to a single one of those categories.
1) I like a lot of new(ish) games, they're some of my favourites. e.g. Portal 2, New Vegas and even Minecraft.
2) I like Modern Warfare etc and don't even care about the Dragon Age games.
3) I hate Halo, I didn't like Halo 2 much, I HATED Halo 3, ODST was meh, Reach was fucking awesomely fun. i.e. far too inconsistent with the hatred to be a bandwagon guy.
4) I like everyone... except Zynga? (lol)
5) I. fucking. hate. Deus Ex.

That said I hate a lot of games. I hate Gears of War. I hate Splinter Cell. I hate Hitman. I hate Command and Conquer. I hate Fallout 3. I hate Morrowind. I hate Halo 3. I hate Halo 3. I hate Halo 3. I hate Halo 3... the list goes on!

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
You forgot the console hater.
Seriously anyone who doesn't play (non-sports, non-platformer, non-racing) games with a computer mouse is effectivly ruining modern games.

RIP Skyrim.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Kieran Villoth said:
So, if you dislike anything you're a hater? I agree! Because opinions don't exist, and people just try to act cool.
Nah, I excluded the people who just say what they dislike about a game. In a proffesional and non snarky manner and then move on. The haters I described were all ones who have in some way been loud and obnoxious.

Sep 14, 2009
more then likely you could label me under troll.

generally i don't hate anything, the only thing that ever gets my blood boiling is other people's unnecessary aggressiveness to pummel their opinions as fact or are on such a high plateau of elitism that i am breakin that sucker down.

which usually i'm half serious/half trolling with those comments/people.

or sometimes you could list me as an anti just because it's popular hater. if someone is trolling/douchebagging so hard, then i'll usually swoop in on the anti hipster side to troll some knaves

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Never a troll, but I am such a cynic. I refuse to play any CoD or BF games. I will only get sequels if I want to know what happens next in the story. Like U3 or God of War.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
I'm #5, because it's usually so god-damn true (fully aware of the irony, thank you.)

Seriously, very few games impress me. They didn't before, and they don't now.

Edit: I might be a bandwagon hater on CoD, though..But I doubt it. I started hated (and refusing to play) "realistic"-shooters after getting seriously disappointed with Ghost Recon 2.
So..I'm more of a I-hate-every-"realistic"-game-where-one-buller-kills-you-and-has-a-vocal-fanbase-hater.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
I'm not a hater, I've got my opinions but they're humble. I know that not everyone likes the things I do and that people like a lot of things I don't.
If I would fit into a category, I'd say I'm the Hater of Poseurs. There's nothing worse than people trying to be something they're not just because its the cool thing to do/be.
I also am a Troll Hater mainly because I just don't understand how someone can parrot meme's and think that makes them awesome... at best they're no better than a bird that mimics things they hear...

Psycho Goose

Nov 2, 2011
Question for OP: What games do you dislike, and does your disliking of them make you a hater?

Also, I'm a little peeved at one thing in this list I haven't seen anyone bring up yet (forgive me if I missed your post): the idea that refusing to play multiplayer games makes you a hater. I mean, I personally love a little TF2 or Smash every now and then, but if single player is your thing, then it's your thing. Not liking to play football because I'm not into competitive sports doesn't make me a hater, so why would not liking to play Starcraft for the same reasons?

Your grouping of the above with the artsy-fartsy pretentious bastards makes sense, though. TF2 is more of an electronic sport than it is an art. Doesn't stop me from enjoying it, but sometimes a guy's gotta have his deep philosophy and critical social commentary. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play some Mario.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Psycho Goose said:
Question for OP: What games do you dislike, and does your disliking of them make you a hater?

Also, I'm a little peeved at one thing in this list I haven't seen anyone bring up yet (forgive me if I missed your post): the idea that refusing to play multiplayer games makes you a hater. I mean, I personally love a little TF2 or Smash every now and then, but if single player is your thing, then it's your thing. Not liking to play football because I'm not into competitive sports doesn't make me a hater, so why would not liking to play Starcraft for the same reasons?

Your grouping of the above with the artsy-fartsy pretentious bastards makes sense, though. TF2 is more of an electronic sport than it is an art. Doesn't stop me from enjoying it, but sometimes a guy's gotta have his deep philosophy and critical social commentary. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play some Mario.
Im not really talking about them just not playing the multiplayer of games, but when that affects their opinion of the game they give to people it becomes hate. Because with games like BF3 and MW3 the multiplayer is the main part and it seems quite hypocritical to not even play the main part of the game then call the game bad because you played the wrong part.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I'd say I am closest to the Cynical Snob type. There are a few games I harbor boundless hatred for (Mirror's Edge, Borderlands and some others). I like to think that I don't blindly hate games, but if I can think of a way to insult a game I hate in a way that at least I find humourous, I will take that opportunity.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
I hate things I don't like... not sure I fit in any category. Sure I don't like CoD of Gears or Halo but that's because they ain't my type of game not because other people decided to hate them, or because they're popular.
I'm also not down with the "gritty realism" thing but I'm no golden age lover either, I just recently played Bastion and that's a hell of a lot better than some of the crap I was playing when I was a kid!

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Hmm...I think I'd best be described as a mixture of Golden Age and Cynical Snob with a dollop of Hypocritical hater mixed in. Why do you ask?

Well, you didn't ask, but this is the internet, so I'll tell you anyway. That's right, you know who YOU ARE.

My only true hatred is towards the Remake of X-Com, my favorite game of all time. And while the Cynical Snob is biased against strategy games, I believe that I am a snob because of my belief in the complexity and weight of a well made strategy game is something that is unparalleled when it comes to giving a deep experience, predominantly from the experience that you yourself craft to go with the game you're playing.

In reference to the Golden Age, I much prefer the original X-Com and to a lesser extent the Apocalypse version, both classics making due with a much simpler graphic situation and having to work with simpler mechanics that most modern games. (I Consider the UFO Aftermath, Aftershock, and Afterlight series to be the best 'spiritual' successor to the X-Com series at the moment, I haven't gotten a chance to play Xenonauts.)

As for a Hypocritical hater, I despise the concept of the X-Com Remake, shooting the mechanics, story, game-play, and theme in the head before burying the body in the Pine Barrens before dawn, and I completely loathe the thought of making an FPS Mass Effect clone the torch bearer of the X-Com Legacy, I'm still going to buy the game and play it.

Yes, I'm a weak willed hypocrite, but I'm okay with that.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
3)The "just because it's popular" hater

This is relevant to me because I hate on the Call of Duty and Sports games (like Madden). I think the hate I give them aren't really tied to "just because it's popular" because it's more than just that. I don't like the lack of originality in the games and it bugs me that it sells so well. Nothing I can really do about it, what's popular is popular. I just feel as if it's unwarranted. Plus, the typical COD and Madden fanboys strike me as being 'frat boys' or 'bro's' or 'chavs' as you gents call it on the other side of the pond.

I am also a "playa hater"